I'll soon have finished picrelated...

I'll soon have finished picrelated. What other books would you recommend for someone who wants to gain an understanding of contemporary warfare?

The Prince and Other Writings if you haven't already done so. Achtung Panzer as well.

The Art of War

FM 3-0, The most current edition if you want to understand the most current US understanding of war.

In truth though we're in a time very similar to WWI with the amount of new weapons we are trying to figure out how to use and integrate and the new ways of warfare other nations and people are experimenting with.

Id give it another gulf war-sized war or 5 years of peace before I started studying it. Things should be more clear by then.

t. US middle ranking officer

Is it mostly tactics or does it delve into grand strategy and political/economic implications?

>staff officers on my Veeky Forums

QUIT PUTTING TOCS IN OPEN FIELDS SO THEY CAN EASILY BE SPOTTED BY DRONES

REEEEEEEE

I feel your pain. You have no idea how difficult it is to counter this practice. The problem is commanders believe it or not.

No

There is no cohesive connection in the US system unfortunately. We pay lip service to it but the poor system we had to do this broke completely when Congress stopped approving budgets and we lost presidents with a solid military background. We can't plan force structure or train for future objectives on continuing resolution.

On the other hand, we're a democracy. Would you really want a military that is THAT good?

>t. middle ranking officer
Officers are useless idiots who have a C average gpa from a mediocre State because they were too fucking stupid to do anything else with their degree. How do you like being sycophantic while some Col.’s cock is down your throat?

Americans are useless idiots who have a C average gpa from a mediocre State because they were too fucking stupid to do anything else with their degree. How do you like being sycophantic while some f*ck hate soyboy's cock is down your throat?

>fixed

Yeah, I just got back from NTC, I was in an MFT so I got to move throughout all the levels of the Brigade pretty much.

It's weird seeing all the problems at least in our brigade that go pretty much entirely unnoticed.

The biggest couple I see are the failure to integrate and disseminate intel, lack of appreciation that we not longer have a monopoly on information, and an absolute breakdown in planning.

I was talking to a guy on staff after and he just seemed utterly oblivious to it, "yeah I uh.. I mean NTC is really hard, so you know, it's not really our fault." "Uh I mean, like I get the concept of friction and centers of gravity and all that.. but uh... you know blackjack is just good."

It was at the point where we were tasked along with civil affairs and psyops to strongpoint and capture a town. I'm not sure what the problems in your brigade are, but I hope you aren't so bad that your brigade TOC gets overran.

It’s MISO now, retard

That's... Disturbing. Ideally, yes I'd like something that good because I think our democracy is built for that kind of balance. I hold Eisenhower as an ideal modern general and president precisely because he was able to integrate tactics into sound grand strategies that took economics into account. He masterfully looped nooses around Hitler and the USSR before they even realized he was making a knot.

I've literally only heard people say MISO like twice in my life.

It's an MFT and you can't fucking stop me.

Sorry friend, I'm an O/C, I see all the BDEs. And more.

were you the guy I talked to about Umberto Eco for a couple hours that one night?

My personal opinion is that as a government we weren't designed to dominate the world as we do. But it is what it is.

The real issue is our strategy will only be as good as our policy makers allow. We don't have an authoritarian regime to line up the deciders of strategy and the executors of it like Russia or China.

Remember this the next time you vote.

No

Also say hi to Julie for me ;)

Damn, well I was the Cav rotation.
sorry you got stuck with such a shit assignment. I still kinda wanna hear your opinions on it as someone that sees it from the top.

Opinions on what?

I think that the CIA and FBI do some continuity for us. I think they're a modern and more subtle praetorian guard.

I suppose the problems that you've seen with how our Brigades operate.

They don't link into anything. They don't have functions like the National Security Strategy or the Defense Quadrennial Review to provide guidance and linkages to policy.

No one part of the apparatus truly has an idea of the overarching endstate policy makers are looking for (because they don't have one themselves). National authority term limits theoretically affect this, but really we need that. It's the money.

Since this is just a Vietnamese comic strip website I'll point out 2 things that I see a lot.

1. Staffs have serious issues with basic staff functions. Please don't blame your poor staff officers, they've just never done it before. The army is doing it's best to help you guys get your reps in but there's no M4 range for MDMP.

2. We don't know how to function as large units (bde and above) anymore. Commanders are guilty on this one IMHO. Your DS arty should be shooting bde objectives, not piecemealed by trying to service each BN. Maneuver units must fight the BDE fight, not little bde fights.

We'll gain it back quick. Between the push for doctrine revamp and new emphasis on CTC/warfighter rotations we'll have knowledge we need to fight soon. On this I'm actually very optimistic, I've seen a lot of good officers, soldiers, and NCOs and they all want to do the right thing.

They get to handpick their successors tho don't they? And Edgar ran the FBI for 50 years so there was definitely some continuity of domestic agenda for the better part of the cold war. I'm very suspicious of apparatuses which hold a lot of confidential information.

Thanks senpai, interesting to see your end of it.

Stay warm out in that desert.

>understanding of contemporary warfare
Though not exactly a book, Patterns of Conflict is a must. After that I would recommend the MCPD -series, especially Warfighting, also the Army's field manuals are a good alternative like said.

*MCDP

>this whole thread is just faggot bootlickers sucking each other off talking of regulations and bureacracy
>yfw military is still gay and political no matter how hard the rw tries to play it off as being meritocratic, efficient etc

Funnily enough when bootlickers mention efficiency in the military, the bureaucratic nightmare that is the military is one of the least efficient organizations to exist.

I plan on reading pic related soon and its relates somewhat so I thought id mention it. gl hf

also, if anyone can rec me good books on world history. like stuff they use to teach in colleges I would appreciated it.

Check out The Human Web, by McNeill &
McNeill .

thanks

great to see this shared around, fantastic read!