Is Japanese literature still a thing in this board?

Is Japanese literature still a thing in this board?
Years ago I compiled a bunch of ebooks but I've recently found a lot of better versions for some of those, so I thought maybe I'd upload a new version some day.
>old version: http tinyurl com japaneselit

I haven't visited for ages and, from a recent review, I only see a few mentions of Dazai and Mishima.

Any titles or authors not included in that list you c/lit/s might be interested in?

Other urls found in this thread:

aozora.gr.jp/index_pages/person879.html
pastebin.com/5p3GrEhD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>translating Kanji

I'm reading Kokoro and it seems platonically gay

Kanji is just a part of written Japanese. You mean
>translating Japanese

If you have any easy short stories at the gradeschool level in Japanese, I need something to practice on.

I think Kenji Miyazawa was read at gradeschool level. His stuff is public domain.
I remember seeing an old PDF of a bilingual edition (in JP/EN) of Night on the Galactic Railroad.
At any rate, you should probably ask /jp/.

Thanks user

I've been looking anything written by Edogawa Rampo that isn't "Japanese Tales of Mystery and Imagination" published by Tuttle. Do you have anything on him?

Do you have any Kenzaburo Oe? Perhaps The Changeling.

Just checked and it's already there, whoops. Thanks for the share though

Can you imagine being Japanese?
Your own language isn't even your own--it's half Chinese.
Your "culture" all comes from China, but your known for it because Japan was first to open its borders and you now have to live a liars life
>being nuked
>twice

I think I would rather much prefer being Japanese than Chinese.

Yeah anime and manga and hentai are too cool huh

I’d be more disappointed in the literature desu. Japanese literature is lacking.

Can you imagine being Anglo?
Your own language isn't even your own--it's half German.
Your "culture" all comes from Europe, but your known for it because You was first to open its borders and you now have to live a liars life
>being emigrated to
>constantly

>I-I can't argue it so I'll try and make some other example by assuming he's an Anglo!

Also English is definitely not half german. There's a difference between a sharing of roots and stems and literally having to use 2000 Chinese characters in your language because you were so primitive

Anglos are a Germanic people anyway, so their language having Germanic origins is irrelevant. You could have brought up the large amount of loan words from romance languages, but even that is irrelevant.

>emigrated to
Oof

>emigrated to

Hm . . .

Good thing China destroyed its culture, so it's ours now :^)

I really enjoyed Kokoro. I'm reading I am a Cat now and it comes across as an eastern Gulliver's Travels.

Have you read any Kawabata? First Snow on Fuji is a nice collection of writings.

This.

Nips are the Jews of Asia

Is the Book of the Five Rings any good? Just ordered it, but unsure if I'm falling for a meme

The language is still completely unrelated

I just finished reading No Longer Human and thought it was just okay. Maybe if I had read it at a more depressive period of my life I would've enjoyed it more but I couldn't help but want some more out of it. Will still probably read The Setting Sun and Run! Melos though.

Mishima is the GOAT

No, see >Anglos are a Germanic people anyway

>
No.

If you like samurai culture in general and enjoyed Hagakure, you'll probably like Five Rings. But hey, just read that shit if you already ordered it and be your own judge.

Novelisations of horror films are aimed at a reading level suitable for teens. Some of the first books I managed to finish were shit like ringu & juon.

I was talking about Chinese and Japanese.

It's probably more like middle school level but Kokoro is surprisingly easy to read.

This must be pondered well.

>2000 Chinese characters in your language because you were so primitive
So having a writing system that lets you communicate with people who speak different languages from different countries is primitive? I guess maybe if you were a brainlet.

Is anyone willing to translate the whole Akutagawa corpus so that more of it is brought over other than the usual Rashomon shit? Would be interesting is Veeky Forums tried something like a translation movement for all these untranslated works.

aozora.gr.jp/index_pages/person879.html

>hehe I used the new Veeky Forums brainlet word look at me

Actual Chinese here: Japs use Kanji as substitutes for their sounds, that doesn't mean they know what they mean exactly.

Also: learn Chinese instead. I know anime is just so tempting but you will regret a childish decision when you grown

Actual Chinese learning Japanese here.

>substitute for their sounds

Are you talking about Man'yogana? Kanji does have correspondence with Hanzi though.

Knowledge of Chinese does help with learning Kanji, although the meanings won't always overlap. At the very least it allows you to create mnemonics easily.

Also don't learn Chinese. It's a horrible place full of horrible self-important people that you don't ever want to do business with, and the only worthy culture is the Classical culture.

I need some advice:

Would it be easier to learn Chinese first and THEN japanese or Japanese first and then Chinese?

I'd like to learn both

Chinese is better if you're a memory-oriented person, since it has a very minimalistic grammar. Japanese has less characters to memorize but it has the whole complex layered grammar of social status. You should try out both and see which one your mind orients more towards.

It'll probably be easier to learn the one with more interesting media to consume so that you don't get bored of the process.

>I'm a newfag that doesn't realise that this is a stale insult

>usual Rashomon shit
Actually there's a few other things in translation:
pastebin.com/5p3GrEhD

Have you tried his novel titled “Kappa”?
I’ve read it in two languages and it’s quite a pleasant read.

I'm about to start reading the Face of Another. Already read the Box Man and Woman in the Dunes which were both brilliant. Is his other stuff as good?

Written communication is a big part of any sophisticated language, so I wouldn't say Chinese and Japanese are completely unrelated.

Only read Kangaroo Notebook and The Woman in the Dunes but I loved them both. I think Abe's works have a lot of re-readability, his backdrops he creates manage to be really immersive. I considered getting The Face of Another Next but I was curios about Box Man or The Arc Sakura.

English is half anglo-saxon half norman french.

brainlet

trips of truth

You should watch Aoi Bungaku's anime version of it which does the story from dual, and heavily conflicting, perspectives. It's rather interesting take on it. Same with it's take on No Longer Human, although that's a far more liberties taking, schizophrenic and existential version of the novel.

Jun'ichirō Tanizaki, maybe? Diary of a mad old man is pretty interesting story of an old man recovering from a massive stroke and lusting over his daughter-in-law.

I've been contemplating reading Box Man for years, never gotten around to it.

Fuck off Musashi

Can you imagine being American?
Your own language isn't even your own--it's from England.
Your "culture" comes from all over the world, but you're known for it because America ended up being the world hegemony
>tower dropped
>twice

I'm not saying your argument is stupid or that you're incorrect but more that what you're saying can be applied to like half the countries on the planet if you're creative about it. Your argument is pointless.

Bump

A borrowed set of characters and some Chinese loanwords (with morphemes approximated into Japanese sounds that sound nothing like the original Chinese) certainly does not make the language "half" Chinese or whatever though. It's not as close to Chinese as English is to French, and real 100% Nippon banzai Japanese (from ancient times) has nothing to do with Chinese.

>Box Man
If I hadn't read a book titled Mikkai ("Secret Rendezvous") I'd say Box Man is probably my least favorite Abe so far.
I'm thinking of picking up The Ark Sakura or The Face of Another.

Anyone know where to get good bilingual editions of japanese books? Looking for something like loeb, but for japanese fiction.

I tried reading the Tale of Genji, but it's really unusual having to read so many notes to understand the text correctly as it would have been at the Heian court.