How the fuck don't you guys like Freud? This is kino

Almost finished reading the Freud Reader that has almost all of his works abridged into a 1000 pages and up to pic related. Freud was wicked smart, and incredibly interesting to read.

>Interpretation of Dreams
>Three Essays on Sexuality
>The Ego and the Id
>Civilization and its Discontents
>Case studies
>Papers on repression, unconscious, etc.

You're not allowed to; by we who never tried.

I don’t know what I’m talking about but hasn’t pretty much everything by him been debunked? Not saying it can’t be interesting anyway.

Does one need to see a psychoanalyst to study psychoanalysis and 'apply' it to oneself, if that makes any sense?

>I don’t know what I’m talking about
Yeah it shows

Are you going to study horoscopes next?

Read Jung's thoughts on Freud next. Although he was very smart and opened the scientific field to the unconscious, he was racked with his only complexes that he couldn't get over and this came through in his work (ie. everything going back to sex).

>How the fuck don't you guys like Freud
You want the real answer: he was a leftist. Or his ideas lead to a lot of nogood leftist thought; ideas that explore things that are not explicitly communicated or kosher in society. Got good.

My experience tells me that most liberals are opposed to Freud. People dismiss him without reading him largely due to his views being uncomfortable. Maybe that's different inside of a classroom but I don't know. Or they go back to one of his many boring points like the Oedipus Complex or penis envy and think they know what the fuck they're talking about.

If you strike up a conversation with anybody saying that we're all motivated by a consistent battle between our ego and subconscious they'll find it wishy-washy and go back to their memes. It's a shame because Beyond the Pleasure Principle is a genuine counter-point to simplistic beliefs that we all act for virtuous reasons at all times and aren't inherently at odds with ourselves.

I personally think Freud was of his time. His ideas are better as metaphors. He's a pretty important thinker for sceptics.

>How the fuck don't you guys like Freud?
we want to fuck our moms mate

>(ie. everything going back to sex).
see
>Or they go back to one of his many boring points like the Oedipus Complex or penis envy and think they know what the fuck they're talking about.

Yeah but did he become wicked smart because he had a huge forehead, or vice-versa?

>tfw autistic pseud senior in HS
>milf ethnic lit teacher somehow brings up freewill
>"I don't believe in freewill, everything is pre-determined, you could predict your entire life if you had a powerful enough computer"
>teacher throws rubber stress ball at me
>"could you predict that"
>somehow thinks that disproves determinism b/c she was a brainlet
>have to go through another two years of existential depression before I realize determinism is wrong
sorry no point here, just a nostalgic memory I wanted to share

yeah, in all honesty one of the reasons I read Jung instead of Freud as a college kid who lived at home over the summers was b/c I couldn't have books by Freud lying around my desk without my mom thinking "holy shit user wants to fuck me"

share what you came up with user please

It isn't really a proof of anything, I just went from being a physicalist to being a dualist. The existence of qualia as distinct from material reality sort of implies freewill on its own.

shit also realized this is the wrong thread kek

>I don’t know what I’m talking about but hasn’t pretty much everything by him been debunked?

"Debunked" by people who just can't handle Freud's insights.

The Aryans dont like him because they have hot moms, the Jews dont like him because they are mommas boys: the Aryans dont like him because hes a jew: the jews dont like him because there are 10000 jewish psychologists living today whos books you should buy instead

“The tension between the harsh super-ego and the ego that is subjected to it, is called by us the sense of guilt; it expresses itself as a need for punishment. Civilization, therefore, obtains mastery over the individual's dangerous desire for aggression by weakening and disarming it and by setting up an agency within him to watch over it, like a garrison in a conquered city.”

Freud may have been wrong about many things, but his understanding of how we can be subconsciously, and thus ideologically, controlled in any society was one of the greatest precursors to modern philosophical and sociological studies the world has ever seen.

freud is trash

This is a good question. Freud is a Jew who tried to consistently apply the Talmud to Psychology.

If only he had offed himself, we would've been saved from his degeneracy. (And myself from my own - he's the only way I can justify incestuous fantasies and urges, although I'd rather kill myself than act upon them.)

Is the reader the best place to start? I don't normally like abridged works.

Modern psychology has thrown out a lot of his conclusions, but his methods (i.e. psychoanalysis) basically created the field of psychology, setting it apart from medicine.

>he's the only way I can justify incestuous fantasies and urges
WOT

>Biographical introduction by Peter Gay

Hehe

nabokov didnt like him so i dont either

I read this because I wanted to see what this daughter fucking buggerbeard had to say about the great genius of the Renaissance.

What a total piece of crap. We should all hang our heads in shame that trees were cut down to make paper to print this waste.

Yeah we know Sigmund. A kite flew onto Leonardo's cradle in his infancy and tapped it's tail on his mouth.

Geddit?

Tapped his tail on his mouth.

As a result Leonardo became a homosexual.

Now, let me repeat this 150 times in the pamplet just to make sure you didn't miss this amazing conclusion, and also, by repetition to give it scientific credibility.

Amazing.

Too bad it took him so long to die of cancer.

And that ceegaw you were perpetually sucking on was symbolic of a steaming piece of excrement, thus proving Sigmund was a coprophage.