Expect cool sci-fi

>expect cool sci-fi
>get depressing horror bullshit
This thing was terrible to read, great story, well written and a warning to everyone.

How did the thought police even work? Did they actually have a mind reading machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they followed people’s habits so they would act when there were slight misbehaviors

When you ask how the thought police worked, it makes me question if you actually read the book

it literally explains how the thought police catch Winston

>How did the thought police even work?
Informants and observation. Did you read it?

So there wasn't any mind reading machines, just the screens watching people?

I expected a great work of literary fiction and instead received a thinly-veiled and overblown manifesto with KEWL SCI-FI SHIET

yes

Did you even read the book? There's telescreens everywhere and they watch your every move, even when you sleep, they even read lips and I think your vitals as well. They're inside every apartment, every room and the outside.

>not using "memenifisto" to add another level of buzzword bullshit in

iirc they even broke into the home to read Winston's journal when he wasn't there, taking care to even replace the grain of sand he kept there

There are also the other citizens who are more or less conditioned to sniff out even the smallest act of misbehavior; especially the poor children who were mere vessels filled to the brim with state propaganda.

It's more about world building, and atmospheric writing, than actually being an accessible page turner. The setting is bleak, and thrives on being unyieldingly informative, his writing style is the same.

"Thot police XD". Hard to take this book serious with the thot police engraved in my mind.

I think I read somewhere that Asimov also read it, and also did not see much science fiction. Actually, he tore Orwell a new hole in terms of science fiction and creativity.

newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm

Yeah, and supposedly agents too (we do find out that one of the party members in Winston's department is an agent).

I went into this book not knowing anything about it and not having any expectations and couldn't put it down for days.

Great read. Ending made me teary eyed.

Alright now you should read We next.

nice alt left meme

I'm leaving Veeky Forums

I cannot continue to corrode my mind by being in the presence of so many contrarians.

Does it form a trilogy with the books Wuz and Kangz?

No it was written before the transcontinental nigger was invented

>expect cool sci-fi
YOU EXPECTED WRONG. GTFO MY LIT FAGGOT

Holy shit, Orwell btfo. Im in doubt. Should i read 1984 after seeing this article?

Yes, it's a masterpiece.

I hated that book even more than I hated 1984. Why does every dystopian novel have to become a boring love story between a middle aged boring guy and a hot young girl.

Have you tried Brave New World?

was looking to buy this book online, but it seems there are a few versions. does anyone know what the differences are?

>on a board for lit
>hasn't even read 1984

Post all of the versions.