Good version of The Divine Comedy

Preferably with original Italian - in addition to English and English notes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ONe9gCPRRfE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Singleton.

/thread

Just learn italian. Once you learn the grammar and the common words you can basically just read it with a dictionary at hand.

The weird penguin hardcover one everyone hates is actually good because the translation is fine quality and it has the original Italian on every second page.

Does 2:00 happen in the story?
youtube.com/watch?v=ONe9gCPRRfE
>Is an adaption greater than the source?

Mendelbaum. There's paperbacks that have the original itallian next to it. They're sold as singles, but I found some at good will.

EA Games translation

God damn, video games are retarded. No that doesn't happen.

Lol no, what the fuck was that?

Ive heard different opinions on which English version is the best. Can anybody recommend me a good translation?

Mandelbaum for blank verse, Ciardi for poetics. Stay away from Sayers and Kirkpatrick (though the former is in strict terza rima and the latter has very good notes). Longfellow is antiquated but readable. A prose translation might be better for you.

ending of game in OP pic

Alright cool. Would Longfellow have the prose translation?

What is the purpose of this picture?

the one OP should read

is the book based on the game?

absolutely

Saw this at my local library

But why did you go through the trouble of taking your phone out, taking a picture of the book in front of your monitor, and then uploading it?

Yeah I think I remember this happening in the book.

I am laughing so hard.

He blasts him with all the souls and he gets sucked into a void like he was a fucking VIDEO GAME BOSS.

both were in in reach from my chair
I like to have my books taunting me: "Why you not reading us fucking faggot."
Until shame overwhelms me; and so I spend the next few hours reading.

You only laugh cause you didn't read it in the original Italian which treated it much more sensitively.

check the chart

OP here - speak some Italian but would prefer also to have notes in English

Do you have a copy of the chart?

This one?

Thanks, also good. But I meant the one recommending different translations of Dante

Esolen is the only good english translation, don't know about Italian, though.

Anyone have experience with the Hollander translations? I have one for Inferno, but haven't got around to it.

this is the fake chart
pic related is the real one

Prose translations.

the one with Zettle's Traum is the fake one that discord made. No one has read that book, not even them.

>I'm too pleb for this book so everyone else must be too

go back redditor

t. discord user who hasn't even read Zettle's Traum

t. discord false flagger

Ah, I know who you are. I miss you.

t h i s

Hollander has everything you asked for.

this chart says Hollander is pretty serious... I'm pretty serious, but inexperienced with classical Latin lit; do you think I could get by with Hollander and appreciate a lot of it's density still?

Most of the Hollander "seriousness" comes from the notes. It feels like every other line has a paragraph or two to go with it, the translation itself isn't much different than Mandelbaum though (as far as readability goes). I've only read Mandelbaum and Hollander, and sampled a few others. If you're really interested in the Comedy, go with one of those two. I started with Mandelbaum and loved it, and looking back I don't think I would've had much of a different experience with Hollander. You can always skip over the notes, they can get exhausting, but if you want that extra depth they're there.

Don't worry so much about getting the right translation. This book is worth reading multiple times throughout your life and there's no reason you can't read many different translations, so just pick one and go from there. This applies for any classic work. I have 4 different copies of the Odyssey.

thanks! I've had a Hollander copy since the game came out when I was younger, and I have always wanted to return to it since I've grown a brain.

does that nigga have a cloth cross stitched into his skin

he is big into christ and crusading for him