Why did he choose a twelve year old for his wife?

Why did he choose a twelve year old for his wife?

Why wouldn't he

Who wouldn't?

I'm not attracted to little children, but a lot of our disgust today at this stuff is just socially engrained.

1.) People died younger then, and younger marriages were more acceptable
2.) OK, if you're sexually attracted to infants and toddlers, there's probably something wrong with your brain. But it's mostly social conditioning that makes us embarrassed to say a 12 to 13 year old girl might be pretty and interesting. Edgar Allan Poe married his 13 year old cousin when he was 26 or 27.

I'm not advocating going back to this style of society, it'd be far too upsetting for too many people and you can't just instantly undo social conditioning, but you have to admit, our disgust at hebephilia is mostly socially engrained, and we may not have had it if we were born in a different civilization and/or at a different time.

Yeah, but a kid is basically a mentally handicapped adult in development who will become an adult with full mental capacity and agency. Hindering their social, sexual e psychological development because of your sexual desire is vile. Kids need to go to school and socialize with their peers.

>Kids need to go to school and socialize with their peers.

No they don't, why the fuck would you believe this.
Regardless to an intelligent male writer adult women are basically mentally handicapped so this argument is silly

>the way to civilize and mature the immature and uncivilized is to surround them with the immature and uncivilized
Widespread schooling as we know it is why most adults today are just giant children.

Are all social interactions talking to an intelligent male writer? People need to learn how to deal with different types of people, kids as well. An effective socialization process start as soon as possible.

because life expectancy was 13

By 13 you should already be properly socialized, you're not going to learn anything in school from that age except how to be a drug addicted whore

You're missing my point. I'm not saying we should go back to that, since obviously our modern society is way more heavy on public education and kids socializing with each other and a youth culture (also something that didn't exist much before the 20th century --- the idea of adolescents/youth as in a special state between childhood and adulthood; before that, you were either a kid, or an adult).

Anyway, i'm saying that this, too, is something dependent on social norms and the civilization around us. Back then, it's not like they had public education for every child, especially for girls. It was a different civilization and there wasn't much use in a girl staying at home doing not much, since they often didn't have access to public education, and girls are often not as physically capable as boys/young men to help around. Thus, marrying them off young.

Socially it was the right thing to do as well off women had no working value. But now I can't get off the notion our brain is not fully developed until we're 25 years old. Imagine then the milestones a child, a teenager, a young adult have to achieve until that age. How is a child affected by having to work as an adult since early teenagehood or being forced to have sex with their husband compared to our modern type of socialization? It fascinates me.

Probably wasn't that bad, honestly. A lot of what we find traumatic and which isn't physically painful is probably determined by social norms. Since it was what everyone else in that society was doing, they probably did not feel as if they were somehow different, fucked up, traumatized, etc. It was just life.

>Imagine then the milestones a child, a teenager, a young adult have to achieve until that age.

Such as?

So you're saying some events are traumatic and become traumas because we compare our experiences to everyone else and we don't want to different? All because of societal stigma? Is everything conditioning?

Because he could

People have been known in the past to kill themselves over what is know regarded in popular opinion as a healthy sex life for an adult woman.
To this regard I would say countless women today are unquestionably traumatized by modern western life but because its the standard way of things its not even recognized

>But now I can't get off the notion our brain is not fully developed until we're 25 years old
By that measure Novalis wasn't an adult either when they met, he was only 22. She also already had TB and was going to die, so she was probably happier spending her last years in a romance with a handsome poet than sitting in school for 3 more years before meeting her death.

I think the notion of child has changed a great deal with tech. Even 40 years ago you had all the social + professional skills you needed to obtain a middle class lifestyle at about 16. Today it takes until 25 or so get a handle on it for the average person, b/c you have to figure out computers, degree in applicable subject, social dynamics of white collar work, social media, etc. 20 years from now it'll probably be more like 35 and a good deal of people will probably never be "adults"

So back in 1900 a 13 yo would be a fully functioning adult capable of consent, but now they're essentially retards who cannot consent with a capable adult.

Absolute horseshit. Social dynamics have become vastly simplified since that time if anything. Any fool can get a degree and click on a jobsite

>social dynamics have become simplified
Prove it

that's not the point m8. You didn't need a degree to be a functioning middle class adult even 20 years ago. It's not just professional skills either. It's soft skills like using social media and dealing with perceptions of politics/race/gender/subcultures that weren't nearly as important in the past. Society is a hell of a lot more complex now, that's why so many people are dropping out or taking anxiety meds.

t. hebe

Horny

well didnt she die with 15?
so in hindsight he shouldve prolly married her even earlier

Because she had potential. The same reason Alabama redshirts freshmen when they already got starters. Give her a few years and she'll not only grow physically attractive but emotionally attached to you too.

Women are 16 years old mentally their whole life. Being 12 when you marry doesn't make much difference

lol no, the average 13 year old was as sophisticated and intelligent and worldly, nuanced and well read as the average 26 year old today

First of all I doubt it, assuming you meant way back like 1900, since the average 13 yo at that time lived on an isolated farm and had already dropped out of school if they had even attended one at all. Among the upper classes, you may be right to an extent, but only because there are so many more skills that kids need to learn today that it divides their attention.

>more skills
*more worthless distractions

While at the same time needing to know how to cook for yourself, mend clothes, navigate yourself in public, take proper precautions against weather and illness have all become redundant skills in the modern day. Hell you don't even need to fucking work with welfare providing a reliable net.
Any chimp can poke at an iPad. A century ago if you fucked up it was a genuine concern you would find yourself starving, destitute and dying of smallpox

Can you all be honest with me
Is it wrong to be in love with a 13 year old girl?
The main character of my novel is currently feeling awful about it. Can hardly focus on anything it's so deeply suffused into them, but how could it not; and it isn't sexual, she's more beautiful than anything, in the fullest sense of Beautiful- eyes, voice, smile, personality, all of it. Really

Absolutely nothing wrong. Only good and natural. Don't fall for roastie lies

make them have a relationship, intimate relationship where they love each other, not even sexual, but just hang out, go traveling, to the movies, cook together, help homework (I guess this is what lolita was about), etc. and then fast forward till she is 26 and he is a weird creep and she regrets it all, and he still tries to hang out with her, or still loves her, stalks her, or tries to get over her, moves on to other girls and thats that, but she is disturbed and feels violated, and is in therapy and has a new husband her age, but still has nightmares that she had no control over her agency absolutely as much as she would have with her best mind and self awareness and worldly knowledge.

And then have the section after that make that just a nightmare that took place one of the nights when she was 13 in the guys head as they fell asleep cuddling, and really they get married and end up happily ever after

Yeah, I'm not saying that the skills are useful, in fact they're completely retarded since most of them are just social graces like not offending certain groups or knowing what emoji to choose in a text. That plus things like driving, using uber ............ It's a massive problem that nobody wants to address.

actually now that I think about it you have a good point wrt lower classes, plus I guess upper classes back then would've had to know various social rules that don't apply now.

That doesn't mean they can't have children en-US&sourceid themselves. Nature said so.

Women in India were perfectly willing to burn alive when made windows on their husband's pyre. Modern western women would and could never do this, it's suggestive.

So what, a woman is a mentally handicapped adult her whole life. On top of it, the poster you quoted wasn't talking about kids but about young teens.

don't be culturally insensitive, bigot

Who cares. He's a nobody.

>Is everything conditioning
Pretty much. Outside of baser biology, which sets the constraints.

>So you're saying some events are traumatic and become traumas because we compare our experiences to everyone else and we don't want to different?
Not the person you replied to but I don't think this is what they meant. Take a modern western man who has only known indulgence and comfort, sure they have their own struggles and all the rest. Take a ancient soldier who has been in his profession since childhood (as non-combant, then combatant). Think about how they'd react differently to someone being stabbed in front of them. This illustrates that every mind is a separate slate, slates are heavily defined by experience and culture. You can produce someone near-immune to what would result in extreme trauma for the modern westerner. It's not a comparing, it's about what is built up in your brain.

This dude was a pretty motherfucker was he not? Was he autistic?

He knew