Why does Veeky Forums constantly shit on STEMfags?

Why does Veeky Forums constantly shit on STEMfags?

The argument I often see is that most STEM kiddies are soulless bugmen. While that is mostly true do you really believe that it's impossible to find a healthy balance? I don't see anything wrong with using technology as a means to an end and reading books as a way to enrich your mind.

Yes I have read the Unabomber's manifesto. I agree with his views on technology but I don't see the monstrous system coming to an end anytime soon. May as well exploit it for a cushy job and have more free time to do what I actually want.

Because we don't have the motivation to persue a career that we don't have a genuine interest in (and it's debateable we even have the motivation to persue careers we do have an interest in).

>constantly
not really

Stem Virgin CHAD HUMANITIES

>tfw sea ice researcher
I agree that many stem peeps are soulless, especially CS, bio, and engineering but that's not all that stem is.

Expression of individuality vs. Accessibility of employment

>Why does Veeky Forums constantly shit on STEMfags?
butthurt about being bad at math obviously. same reason engineering retards are all "durr hurr writing is stoopid"

I find coding genuinely satisfying. When explaining it to normals I equate it to an automotive mechanic working to make the machine's various parts all work together. I also read about three books a month. Don't see what the problem with that is.

It's self defense
They have no depth

I really fucking don't get this. To me math/science (especially programming) is just another language, albeit one that requires some visualization skills. Do most /lit people only think in words?

Stem virgins can almost always find employment. Humanities Chad can't do much more employment-wise than teach classes that don't actually care about the material he studied for so many years.

>/lit

I agree though

There is only one way to find balance and that is through discipline, something STEMfags could never have.
This is the STEMfag's greatest weakness and yet also the reason they are STEMfags at all.

>the reason they are STEMfags at all
>being duped into thinking that STEM will bring you the discipline you lack

This is by far the stupidest shit ever. We need to kill all fags that think like this.

"He doesn't like IQ because he got a low score on an IQ test"

"He doesn't like capitalism because he doesn't have any money"

"He doesn't like sucking dicks for a living because he hasn't gotten any good dicks to suck"

I'm so fucking sick of this argument it kills me. Who thinks of this shit, 15 year olds?

That's not what I meant
I meant that the lack of discipline is what drives them to STEM in the first place, not in a search for discipline but because they see that lack as being less relevant in such fields

Sorry, I worded that like a retard. I was agreeing that that's why bugmen go into STEM but also positing that some of them think it will magically make them well-developed and interesting people simply because they work with technology.

I went into stem b/c I saw pic related on a roadtrip as a 14 yo autistic youth obsessed with industrial aesthetics. I thought it would be dope af to work in the middle of a giant factory as a chem engineer. Turned out the major was full of normies who didn't give a fuck about the aesthetics of it all and just wanted to be soulless consultants.

I genuinely don’t understand how according to you STEM careers lack discipline. I can’t see it

>15 year olds
Pretty much. And older people who are mentally 15. A lot of people are mentally 15 their whole lives.

You don't like the argument because it hurts your feelings.
They exist for a reason because people are offended by what their saying. I agree to an extent maybe when it comes to "You dont like gays? Must be gay yourself huh." But that is slightly different

I remember a medfag came on here asking for advice and said he only wanted to read literature that would help get his degree. The entire Veeky Forums board is boring as fuck too. I think they also forget that alot of great minds were actually generally well read and didn't simply memorize fact after fact from textbooks.

I took stem in school and alot of people you meet really seem to have no interest in science unless it's relevant to getting a high paying job. I think alot of them secretly hate the subject and after graduation many ended up going back to school to study something different or got a job completely unrelated to their education. Moreover you get this weird sense of competition, moreso with medfags, where they all "want" you to do well and we're all here to help humanity but I would prefer if you didn't do as well as me. People on here probably get turned off from interacting with stemfags based on their irl experiences or with anons from Veeky Forums.

>Implying employment is the goal
Nigga I'd live in a bathtub in Athens just to afford to be able to contemplate philosophy.

I mean it's usually valid, in that you're a hell of a lot more likely to hate capitalism if you're not wealthy, or be bitter about women if you're an incel. That doesn't mean their complaints aren't valid though. Really the quotes you cited aren't even arguments, they're just ad hominems used as tools to hit opponents with and weed out the thin-skinned. You have to hit back with a better argument.

t. mathlet

pursue.

>I think alot of them secretly hate the subject and after graduation many ended up going back to school to study something different or got a job completely unrelated to their education
senpai...

50-70% of the people in my engineering major went into consulting or lobbying. God I hate them so much. Truly soulless cretins. Might be more correct to say I hate their physical appearances since they obviously have no soul if they think that's a proper use of their education.

STEM is what makes living comfortable.

Art is what makes life worth living. Sure, modern life would be impossible without STEM advances, but without art i can hardly imagine it being enjoyable in the slightest.

>he only wanted to read literature that would help get his degree

I'm OP and I find this mindset revolting. Really makes the "bugmen" meme make sense.

Nigga I live in a podunk Appalachian mountain town and I contemplate philosophy just fine. You don't need a professor to tell you what to think unless you're a complete brainlet. Knowledge is universal and unlimited.

You are a man after my own heart. So why not marry the two?

Just think of the typical portrait of a scientist, obsessed with discovery, creation, and progress, endlessly eager to continue the long hours of hypothesizing and experimentation.
To this type of mind discipline is a mere obstacle, a necessary tool for memorizing formulas and equations and nothing more.

>Veeky Forums, the most marxist board on Veeky Forums, calling others bugmen

Veeky Forums's Marxists have only cropped up in the last two years that the Redditors have invaded because of that damn Imgur post that circulated over there.

As someone who got a masters degree in engineering, your characterisation is basically correct. At least three-quarters of the students are uninterested in actually learning - they're only here to get the degree to get the job. My supervisor has asked me in despair how he can get better reviews from the students, which is impossible because he insists on teaching abstract thermodynamic concepts instead of just equations and formulae. Everyone who can gets into consulting, because the alternative is spending the rest of your life in some chemical plant control room, or in a design engineering firm sizing boilers.

Every single senior engineer I have met has been "off" in some way, probably as an adaptation to forty years of engineering.

I am an MD/PhD student. I am in training twice as long as an MD and I will eventually earn about half the income of an MD by pursuing my research interests. I also enjoy reading (why i'm currently on Veeky Forums)

Stem / Lit, it doesn't matter.. people who are passionate will make waves. Not everyone in stem is in it for money.

>just think of this strawman I just made

Dude, were you also chem E? Yeah, I realized soon enough that even though I enjoyed the concepts I wasn't quite autistic enough to spend my life in a control room. Switched to atmospheric sciences, which I also have a special interest for, and I'm fucking loving it. Fluid transport is so goddamn useful for essentially everything.

The point of discussing things is discussing them civilly. If you've ever been harmed by a person's comment it's most likely that YOU are the sensitive one. Debates are not meant to be vitriolic or hostile. I have been in one too many of those on this site before, trust me.

See? This is what I'm talking about. I read mathematical works all the time, plen

Yep, and I've learned to absolutely hate it. The salt in the wound is that highschool friends of mine went and studied business or computer science, and ended up making six figures in NY or SF. I'm just grubbing around seeing who will hire someone with a chem eng masters that will not do chemical engineering.

to be fair though we get eternal bragging rights for being in the smartest academic field.

Engineers are the most anti-intellectual scum in universities around the world.

This is Veeky Forums m8, the hostility keeps out redditors and other scummy normalfags. It's necessary to weed out people who are oversocialized and who would prevent the debate of non-traditional or morally repugnant ideas.

course 10 fags can suck it

You are probably a social Darwinist.

From my own experience the dichotomy starts in school, when genuinely dumbed-down humanities courses are taught to students. Intelligent students learn to despise them as "easy" disciplines, thus funneling them into the sciences. When they get to university the rigour of engineering courses causes them to resent their peers in the humanities, who do tend to have fewer classroom hours and, due to the debasement of academia, are more likely to encounter light courses in their earlier years. Engineers despise the humanities because their view of the humanities is shaped by the changes its curricula has undergone in the past 50-70 years. In front of one of the engineering buildings at my university is a monument erected in 1946 by engineers which is only comprehensible to someone who has read Pope's essay on criticism and the Iliad. Obviously, no one understands it today.

lol. I got my BS but some of the microfluidic 600 level shit (prolly different system at your uni) was a bit too niche for me. Kinetics thermo and transport were the most useful parts. I Don't envy the stuff you must've taken for your masters.

>Veeky Forums is a serious club for amoral anons only
kys

That's not what I meant. I meant morally repugnant according to societal norms. IE anything that could be described as racist/sexist/homophobic/weird/whatever. Should've chosen a better word.

also ironically, your comment would count as something that would be filtered out for being anti-social and making light of suicide.

This. EE and I wish I had done CS and math instead. EE is pretty boring (at least the micro part) and there aren't as many jobs as I was lead to believe. My friends from HS are making 50 an hour at their CS internships this summer and I don't even have work yet.

If I had to do it all over again I'd choose cog sci instead of engineering solely b/c it's full to the brim with qt aspie girls.

tell me more about failing geometry class

It seems that a common theme amongst some people who studied STEM is regret not so much that they studied something they didn't necessarily like as that they studied something which didn't end up making them as much money as in other fields, some of which are just as rigorous. Humanities majors may bitch about not finding work, but I tend to find that they enjoy what they studied.

What world do you live in where spending a decade of your life practicing math and learning about a single subject is lacking in discipline?

Yes, that was the best comment yet.

this TO BE DESU FAME

>you don't have to have discipline to study STEM
so your last science class was in high school huh

No it's just a shitty ad hominem argument

>You don't need a professor to tell you what to think unless you're a complete brainlet. Knowledge is universal and unlimited.
don't post shit like this kek

The same world where reading the first 120 pages of infinite jest and shitposting on a pleistocene appreciation forum is worthy of his disciplined mind

Mathematics is literally the most aesthetically pleasing thing. Imagine if theology were about real things. That's math.

TBh it's mostly because they're bitter their degree is worthless and need to justify their poor decisions, and math skills

You sound retarded desu, are you a STEM fag by any chance?

No, he doesn't. And if he is talking about fundamental Greek Geometry/Arithmetic he is even more correct. Go read some Nicomachus, plen

Just answer my question samefag

>people can't be mathematics enthusiasts

Why user, why

i love you user

Google "sour grapes defence mechanism" you mongoloid. People literally do this.

he's on to something though, he's just blinded by his physicalism. Theology is to qualia what science is to physical substance.
>t.stemfag

No they don't. I have literally never seen an adult do this.

It's still not a valid argument you pleb, did you get your homeschooling from Veeky Forums or something?

the people you're talking about aren't trying to argue though, they're trying to be dicks.

Veeky Forums is full of brainlets (just like the rest of Veeky Forums), that's why.

In Veeky Forums's defense, Veeky Forums is even more full of brainlets.

I am a STEM student though, and I've read a great deal more than most Veeky Forums has.

Really though, the average IQ here is probably around 120 at least. It's the smartest place you're going to find on the internet outside of some very niche discussion forums. Otherwise you're stuck with academia.

Stop using IQ

You're right. I think it's because Veeky Forums only reads textbooks.

What else is there to use? G-factor? that's hardly a commonly measured thing. IQ is imperfect but still useful

Ahhh tfw I’ll soon be working at a library beside the beach...

Enjoy being fags, kiddos...

Eh, I would rather it be not used at all, or even thought about. What we understand about intelligence is that there are aspects that people are intelligent in and others they aren't so good in.

If you really think about it, you should only REALLY be considering the ideas proposed or words spoken, in an ideal world. Even if the person themselves didn't understand what you were talking about, which is unlikely as the differences between intelligence of all races and both genders is probably much less than you imagine, you would still treat them like they could, and then gladly try to explain the concept still further.

That's what I do in conversations. You see, in the real world, no one has time to gauge IQ or measure tests to determine other's worth. There is no test that can determine how good you are with people, and like IQ EQ is really not a good gauge of that at all.

All in all, it just matters how good of a person you are. There is no need to quantify your capacity to learn. The only things that matter are three things

1) how valid the idea is (is it logically correct?)
2) How Good the idea is (is it not beneficial [evil] or beneficial [good])
3) How serious you are about what is being said

Taken these into consideration is what people do all the time without realizing it, but I believe the aspect they sometimes lose sight of is number two. Which is why you have so many people doing things which aren't conducive to the public good these days, like grading each other on a ranking system which is likely to influence how they treat themselves and others, 100% of the time producing a negative reaction in others due to them either being supercilious or just plain self-pitiful.

If you're going to resort to the sour-grapes argument, no I haven't taken an IQ test. I think I might have a few years ago, but it was on the internet and I scored a little above average. I scored extremely high on the GRE. My point is, these things really shouldn't matter. What should matter is how much a person wants to learn. How serious they are about learning (which is number three, remember?)

But isn't IQ a predictor of that?

People arguing about their COLLEGE shit is the most useless boring stupid non-individual conformist lame bullshit.

Try to be a proper human and not some robot, yeah?

No, not in the real world. Not at all, actually. I would rather not know the person's IQ score before talking to them.

It does predict how successful someone will be. Some people are smart and some are dumb and they always will be. It's not a nice thing to think about but that doesn't make it false.

Who cares. Success is not really defined by intelligence anyway. There are dumbass CEOs and smart people who have no money.

You speak in platitudes like you know the world. It's annoying when the things you are talking about are inherently false.

Like I said even if people were inherently smarter or dumber than others, people base their opinion on way too many characteristics because of IQ anyway.

Like I said the problem is you're wrong. You can even become more knowledgeable about things and discuss them with people who have no knowledge of the subject. If you, as a 'dumb' person (just typing this is pretty dumb and feels stupid) were to discuss a subject with a 'smart' person and they had no knowledge of what you were speaking of, you would appear much more intelligent than they. And that is really all that matters for success, anyway. Appearing intelligent. It's why aspies on Veeky Forums aren't successful. They are actually intelligent, but the corrupt system wants you to ACT a certain way.

highly socialized people are smart though, they just use that intelligence to subconsciously process and act within social rules. I find it repugnant as an aspie but don't pretend that your average ceo isn't intelligent in a broad sense.

t. freshman

B-but what about psychology? A-and all the studies and s-science?

>healthy balance
Fuck off, liberal.

Most STEMfags I see have no appreciation of aesthetics. They have a utilitarian view of literature, in that they only care about books if they can somehow benefit their lives in a tangible way. They also seem incapable of understanding experiences outside of themselves, which is why most of them hold fiction in disdain.

I've done math and am probably better innately at math than 99.9% of engiecucks.
Meanwhile, I've never seen an engiecuck who can write anything but a bad imitation of what they read (if they read at all and don't just play gaymes).
It's not like I considered studying pure mathematics with a focus on geometry or anything.

>You don't need a professor to tell you what to think unless you're a complete brainlet.
You blatantly are unoriginal, which is why you think you are original.
Name 1 (one) article released in the last year.

Intelligent in a social sense maybe. Just keep that in mind. It reinforces my original claim that intelligence is variegated.

Right well. It may not surprise you that science has been wrong. Does anyone else find it odd how worshiped science is these days? Like it can do no wrong. Anything published with the scientific method is completely true 100%. Absolutely astounding. Science has led us to believe things for thousands of years that have turned out to be incorrect. Such faith in a line of reasoning that has proven to be false is not healthy. I don't mind science... people don't know what they're doing though.

HAHAHAHAHAHA HFUCJING CHRISUKEKS HAHAHA XDDDDDDDD KILL ALL CRHISTNIGGERS XDDDDD

Wrong, there is no separation. Neck yourself.

How do you feel about logic?

Woah. What on earth?

This

I think that studying certain things, or working with certain processes can actually make or have a large need for you to use reasoning more often. I think that certain people are better at this sort of thing than others, but in other capacities maybe they are better at other things.

For instance perhaps some may be better at inductive reasoning than deductive reasoning, and for others it is the inverse.