Am i a pleb for skipping over the game of Eschaton? Is there any point to it, or does it add anything to the story...

Am i a pleb for skipping over the game of Eschaton? Is there any point to it, or does it add anything to the story? I tried to get through it, i really did, but it just seemed like an endless stream of pure, unadulterated autism

>he skips the most important allegorical chapter in the book
I bet you tell people you completed the book
I bet you even have it marked as "read" on goodreads
Nu-lit trash get out!!!!!!!

this, also:
>he skips the funniest chapter in the book
"hurr i don't understand foreign relations"
leave

ignore the last two posts. it's one of the weakest chapters in the book. It's literally REDT the sequence.
all that's allegorical is "hurrr all world leaders are/were just children too!", kittenplan=feminazi, and Ingersol fucks everything up while representign Israel and Libyia/syria
It's a pleb filter for me.

One of the best parts of the book (not the best but def top 5 if you do not count portions that are not directly written).

These two are right:
You skipped one of the most important, and most iconic, chapters in the novel.

Read the chapter again, and pay attention to Pemulis' outraged distinction between Map and Territory.

i expected more from that joke.
All it really comes down to is basically Otis P. Lord is somehow stupid that he can't decide how the real-world weather affects the weather of the in-game simulation when in reality the obvious answer is not at all.
It's a dumb meta joke that isn't even that clever.

I think it's funny that this board comes to the most banal, jejune interpretations of a chapter, then turn around and the say the book is a meme.

This board is a joke.

haha okay bud.
i know this book like the back of my hand. It's not that good. Clearly written by a 30 year old "kid". He really came into his own after Hideous Men but this book and especially this scene will always be a meme. He should have waited to write it.

>I know this (1100 page) book like the back of my hand
>It's not that good
You kept reading because....?
Also really? You got nothing out of it? Using Avril to portray narcissistic parenting and how people make you feel indebted to them without actually helping you, the overly intelligent and culturally aware teenagers who never looked internally at their selves, the whole idea of asking yourself what you worship/are addicted to, shit this is only what came to mind for me, and is not even the half of it, but personally this book had a very positive impact on me, yet
>It's not that good
Okay.

Meant to

Dude .. what you're talking about is not that deep aka not that good. I'm not that guy, I was entertained by the book and thought it was decent, but I think it's overblown and more of a minor American classic if anything. Fun, experimental, occasionally touching, but not on the level of the greats of world literature in my opinion.

The ending of that chapter is hilarious.

It's written in a rather tedious way but Pemulis is pure gold in that chapter.

This has to be bait. That's not even the most tedious part of the book. On the other hand, it is absolutely acceptable to skip the ebonics sections.

Ill be honest...it got a bit confusing for me. Keeping track of all the Eschaton lingo and ancronyms but it was pretty entertaining and I do believe the Eachaton game affects a few characters arcs and plot points. Like Pemulis, a bunch of the younger kids like Otis and Kittenplan. Hal mentions it a bunch later on. It turns into a hillarious and absurd situation. The image of the monitor smashed onto the kids head always makes me laugh.

What did you get out of IJ then? Nothing you didn't already know?

And yeah listing the themes of a novel isn't supposed to be a revelation, it's why we actually read the thing. To expand a little, like say Avril's character, I really enjoyed those bits. I have a friend who in my mind does everything for me, and never fails me, yet when it comes down to it he actually makes me rather uncomfortable. And Avril's methodologies of how she engages with people to get them to want her approval (granted, Wallace did overplay this a bit), I learned something from it. I also feel after reading this book a much more reinforced desire to get to the truth of the relationships I have with people, as is a common occurrence in this novel that people lie constantly to people they are really close to, for psychologically defensive reasons. Fuck it, I don't know dude I'm only 21, maybe if I read this as a 30 year old it would seem trivial but like I said me trying to explain an 1100 page novel in a Veeky Forums post isn't going to clarify much of what I felt reading it

i thought pemulis fell asleep because he was stoned during the game

Yes.
You failed Infinite Jest, start over from the beginning.

This is literally Jayden Smith levels of "wow so deep". Fuck off

Its literally the only good part of the book

It starts out annoying but it gets really funny when Pemulis starts interfering with the game. And like the other anons said it's really important, so read it.

Why would you skip any part?