Book that you stopped reading half way because they were terrible

I loved reading Plato and Socrates.

Started reading this book by Aristotle and goddamn this idiot's writing is so muddy and hard to comprehend.

Plato was like butter to my ears. Reading Aristotle is like letting someone fart near your ear constantly.

I finally got tired and deleted it from my e-reader.

do you, my friend

Plato and Pletho and Plotinus and not Aripooptle and the Empeeriscits.

Socrates didn't write a thing

i hate this answer
yeah dipshit we know, it's easier to say socrates instead of plato's account of socrates
god ur dumb

lol then explain all the books where he says stuff that we have been studying for thousands of years.

It's kind of stupid to say you love reading Socrates though. You wouldn't say you love reading Bilbo Baggins when talking about the Hobbit, would you?

Plato invented college so of course colleges will study him regardless.

>is in error
>calls other people dumb

Get a grip you silly mf

>It would appear, moreover, that Alexander not only received from his master his ethical and political doctrines, but also participated in those secret and more profound teachings which philosophers designate by the special terms "acroamatic" and "epoptic," and do not impart to many. For after he had already crossed into Asia, and when he learned that certain treatises on these recondite matters had been published in books by Aristotle, he wrote him a letter on behalf of philosophy, and put it in plain language. And this is a copy of the letter. "Alexander, to Aristotle, greeting. Thou hast not done well to publish thy acroamatic doctrines; for in what shall I surpass other men if those doctrines wherein I have been trained are to be all men's common property? But I had rather excel in my acquaintance with the best things than in my power. Farewell." Accordingly, in defending himself, Aristotle encourages this ambition of Alexander by saying that the doctrines of which he spoke were both published and not published; for in truth his treatise on metaphysics is of no use for those who would either teach or learn the science, but is written as a memorandum for those already trained therein.

From the Parrallel Lives of Plutarch

lol aristotle was a correspondence course fraud

>It's kind of stupid to say you love reading Socrates though. You wouldn't say you love reading Bilbo Baggins when talking about the Hobbit, would you?

No, but that's because Bilbo Baggins was fictional; Socrates is historical.

Christians always talk about the teachings if Jesus. By your logic, we should say "I follow the teachings of Luke and Paul.".

This is actually a good answer

Thank you.

>Started reading this book by Aristotle and goddamn this idiot's writing is so muddy and hard to comprehend.

Are you sure you're not the idiot? Philosophy isn't poetry. Did you even start with the Categories?

I've heard that the surviving "works" of Aristotle we have are actually just lecture notes and that we don't actually have any examples of his prose, which was supposed to be amazing.

With Plato's filter. He merely used Socrates as a sheer projection of his thoughts. He didn't care for historical accuracy.

We do say we follow the teachings of Luke and Paul because they're the ones that actually wrote the book. They're not fictional characters merely named after or based on real people. Plato's Socrates is a character and we know this because his accounts of Socrates beliefs and actions conflict with other accounts given by Xenophon.

If I write a dialogue and merely name the character after you, it wrong for a third person to come along and assume that the character is an accurate representation of you because that's not what I'm attempting to do in writing a dialogue.

>ruins the thread

>But I had rather excel in my acquaintance with the best things than in my power.
What he mean by this?

Yeah. I mean this guy is somewhat right. It’s more Plato’s interpretations of Socrates. Socrates is the prophet, Plato is the Gospel. Like how Jesus was to Mark.

Still, Socrates had many wise things to say.

this?

???this???

what's a "correspondence course fraud"?

>Started reading this book by Aristotle and goddamn this idiot's writing is so muddy and hard to comprehend.
>Plato was like butter to my ears. Reading Aristotle is like letting someone fart near your ear constantly.

T. Platon

>But I had rather excel in my acquaintance with the best things than in my power.
I guess aristotle didnt teach him very well if I cant understand what he meant by this

>this whole thread

Jesus H. Christ, get a grip on yourselves

Aristotle is enjoyable in terms of his thoughts, not so much the writing, I found. A good translation can definitely make a big difference. The first translation I got of the Organon I would later come to think of and remember when reading Hegel.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure you can get most of the Metaphysics from the scholasts, if you prefer that.