Train by day, Joe Rogan

Wow. In the last minute of JRE #923, Joe says he was paid a full advance to write a book. I recall in earlier episodes, Joe saying how he was focusing his attention on his book and making good progress. A half-biographical work of comedy and dumb semi-philosophical musing on life. After months and months of slaving over an expanding word document, and a team of editors helping him by transcribing his podcasts and standup and turning it into prose, Rogan still gave up and had to give all the money back to the publishers.

How is that possible? He had a book guaranteed to sell and a full financial advance for it. That book was so easy it could almost have written itself. His editors had over 1000 podcasts, plus his fight companion things, standup, countless other media appearances, all equaling about 130 days of him talking, virtually every anecdote from his life, speculation about the future, views on life, and they still failed to cobble something together.

How is it possible you ask. Simple: he's a fucking retard.

Joe Rogan is a smart dumb guy

He's really stupid, that's why. And so is everyone who enjoys his podcasts.

This
Anyone who watches a "YouTuber" or listens to YouTube podcasts should be hung.

what i find strange about joe rogan is how boring he is. how could a guy who has worked as a standup comedian and martial arts commentator be such a monotone and uninteresting speaker

fine interviewer, i guess. i agree with but that's a great posture for an interviewer to take

Be very careful, OP.

Of course most of us have listened to his podcasts, but keep it quiet.

Collectively, we're forbidden from saying anything nice because he is regarded as too lowbrow and that would damage us and tarnish our reputation. Joe Rogan, and people like that, must remain as ants, barely visible from the throne at the top of our ivory tower.

A few of us will say 'Joe who?' to emphasis the distance between us and the intellectual proles, and some of us will degrade ourselves low enough to admit to listening to his podcast with Lord Peterson so we can throw verbal tomatoes at the imbecile while his head is in the stockade.

>Anyone who ... should be hung.
*Hanged

Good catch, my bad

All Randian shitters are bums.

I enjoyed episode 911 and the alternative archaeology guys.

>the distance between us and the intellectual proles
What's the name for this argument? I know there's a psychological term, and I think it may have one of the 'logical fallacy' names too.

It's almost the opposite of the 'Appeal to Authority', where somebody ties their argument to the credentials of somebody else's intelligence.

In our case, somebody elevates their argument or themselves by holding it in comparison to a perceived cerebral inferior, genuine or not.

It's very different to belittling the opponent, or trying to lower their intellectual status; although, that may also be employed. It's more inflating the value by comparing to a partial strawman to represent an academic buffoon.

Like a guy who is 5ft3 standing next to a cardboard dwarf.

Like taking a picture of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and putting it next to a picture of Sam Harris, carefully timed to catch a sneeze so it looks like a downs syndrome cum face, and photoshopping a fedora on top of his head.

The argument is also employed a lot when somebody had done something wrong, so instead of trying to explain or apologise, they present a figure who is a lot worse (okay, I got arrested for stealing a warhammer figure, mommy, but look at uncle Sebastian, his ponzi scheme stole the pension's of twenty thousand seniors) the latter works deliciously well when you can actually find a scapegoat replacemen (... warhammer figure, mommy, but my brother was the one who pawned your engagement ring so he could pay for that week in Seychelles with his mates. I got caught but he was worse).

It's a fascinating intra-group behavioural event, and fascinating how individuals are shunned for not participating in the ridicule of the figure and reward for participating. I understand the psychology of microsociology, just wondering about the terminology.

Tl;dr-- what's the term for making yourself or your work appear bigger by making someone else or their work seem smaller?

...And is there a name for the figure who is always used for this purpose? Pop-sci authors like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Stephen Pinker, Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins being obvious examples.

hanged*

Bitch, Rogan's book has been confirmed for August release. He has even posted samples from 18 of 25 chapters on his website.

Chapter 1: Zen and the art of bow hunting for Elk.
Chapter 2: My life in MMA and how a spinning heel kick built my confidence.
Chapter 3: Discovering Sam Kinison changed my life forever.
Chapter 4: Moving to Colorado and my dog getting Jacked.
Chapter 5: a chapter to stop and think about how weird the Australopithecus was
Chapter 6: My sensory deprivation tank
Chapter 7: Overcoming my addiction to Quake and video games.
Chapter 8: Founding Alpha Brain, O-N-N-I-T dot com and the code name rogan
Chapter 9: Stem cells and Crispr and making a baby Wolverine-Hulk
Chapter 10: Nickelback really isn't that bad
Chapter 11: Uncontacted tribes firing arrows at planes
Chapter 12: Why do you never see black dudes looking for bigfoot?
Chapter 13: My time with DMT, and exploration into the pineal gland during REM sleep.
Chapter 14: Heat shock protein: Ice baths and saunas.
Chapter 15: 11-hydroxy metabolite
Chapter 16: I had a dream that I was Fritz Haber making nitrogen and Zyklon-b
Chapter 12: Pull up chapter 12, Jamie.
Chapter 17: Mencia stole all of his jokes, but I won't mention Amy Schumer.
Chapter 18: Ketogenic diet.

>a retard's idea of intellectual has a problem with writing
IMAZHUN MHUY SHAWCK

Fantastic critique, you sure showed him. Great post. Top notch. Excellent work. Thick, solid, tight.

ugly friend fallacy.

I can't tell if this is satire

>How is that possible?
Drug abuse. Marijuana fills you with grandiose ideas about yourself and your goals, while stripping you of the ability to follow through.

>Of course most of us have listened to his podcasts, but keep it quiet.

Speak for yourself you total brainlet.

>Marijuana fills you with grandiose ideas about yourself and your goals, while stripping you of the ability to follow through.
Rogan has failed to achieve any of his goals? Really?

Rogan is best case scenario for longterm marijuana abusers. He fits a niche within a niche. And even then, he got very lucky w/r/t timing and the rising popularity of podcasts. But even in him, you see the negative effects. This otherwise intelligent, driven guy, with all the resources you could hope for, is unable to produce a paint-by-numbers book.

Would read unironically

Yeah he tried to write a book and he couldn’t.

>Chapter 5: a chapter to stop and think about how weird the Australopithecus was
>Chapter 12: Why do you never see black dudes looking for bigfoot?
10/10

Are there two chapter twelves?!?!?