Books on folklore supernatural beings?

Books on folklore supernatural beings?

Baba Yaga, djinns, will-o-wisps, that kind of shit. I want to read about them. Is there anything good written about them?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/28260540-monster-girl-encyclopedia-vol-1?from_search=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Yeats' Irish Mythology books are great if ya want to get into celtic myth.

Patrician

are you ok if it's a picture book? this here's an extremely advanced look many different supernatural aspects from a variety of cultures, with a large focus on Lovecraft as well. And it's good too

>Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry
On that vein, I just finished up reading Old French Fairy Tales by The Countess of Segur, and while it's pretty tame on the supernatural creatures, it's chock full of fairy shenanigans.
It's free on Gutenberg, so it might be worth a read.
I'll be checking out yours, though.

did anyone ever play a children's computer game about baba yaga? i was born in 1990 for reference. trying to figure out what game it was, i can hardly remember anything about it though

apparently it comes up right away when you google "baba yaga computer game", nevermind im dumb

goodreads.com/book/show/28260540-monster-girl-encyclopedia-vol-1?from_search=true

Thank me later.

>I was originally supposed to review this for ANN, but in the end we deemed it too raunchy for the site. This book feels like a guide for an unreleased adult visual novel about having sex with as many monster girls as possible - each entry for the 100 different monsters discusses how she prefers to "rape" or "assault" human men, focusing on how much the men end up enjoying it. While the full-color images of each monster girl on the left hand pages are quite attractive, most of the entries also have insert, sepia-toned images of the monsters having sex with men in typical hentai style, with plenty of viscous fluids. Genitals are drawn without censorship bars, although there is no pubic hair. (See Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape for why this is an issue.) The text mostly reads like the worst romance novel sex scene you've ever read, with the disturbing, and consistently reinforced, notion that human women do not enjoy sex and find male sexuality a burden, and thus are perfectly happy to allow monster girls to take over, even though it will lead to their eventual extinction. To say that this is outdated and offensive is an understatement.

>Granted, I am not the intended audience for this book. But even if the issues I have with its depiction of female sexuality weren't present, this is not well-written and suffers from a severe case of masturbatory fantasy. Surely there are better done monster girl hentai stories out there.

Buying it

another good book is Obake files.
I mean, it's just crazy stories about shit in hawaii, but haha! I'm never fucking going to hawaii!

Kwaidan if you want Japanese spirits.

Lafcadio is good for a lot of shit around New Orleans too not just Japan

Calvino's Italian Fairy Tales is fucking massive and worth it. Joseph Jacobs is another good collector of tales.

Angela Carter has a good miscellany called Book of Fairy Tales. NB: she does feminist retellings of fairytales in her other works if you want something opposite but the Book of Fairytales is just a collection with the weirdass shit that Eskimos talk about.

The Táin (Kinsella translate) is good too. Buile Suibhne (Heaney translated this at some point) is handy to understand later Mad Sweeney works.
If you don't mind a kid's book which works in a lot of British Isles (Viking, Celtic, Anglo) folklore into a story with Mad Sweeney, The Stones are Hatching by McCaughrean has less problems fitting the mythologies together than Gaiman's American Gods.
Sweeney of course also appears in Flann O'Brien's At Swim Two Birds, but you should read that with the Táin and a few other things behind you.

RF Burton has a lot of stuff on djinns and shit like that. Thousand and One Nights is where most people start there

Forgot RL Stevenson's South Sea Tales

The Witcher series.

I love this kind of stuff.
Does anyone know any good books about Latin American folklore and legends?

Anyone got any reccs for British folklore, mainly rural paganism or something to do with lakes? Britbong asking because I don't know much about my own country's folklore.

joseph jacob's english folklore. the many variations of king arthur (once and future king is babby's first)

witchy documentary with northern poet
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-JDUfADiw

tales from silver lands - charles finger

thanks user

My diary desu

bumpin for interest

For Finnish folklore check out myytillisiä tarinoita by Lauri Simonsuuri. Although I don't know if there is english translation of the book