ITT: Contrarian Books

Post books that go against what most people believe. Anything from Might is Right to the SCUM Manifesto. They can be furious radicals, like the two aforementioned, or careful academic types, like pic related. But they must go severely against the grain.

Other urls found in this thread:

lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/against_narrativity.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Gide#Sexuality
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ignorance by Peter Unger. Here is how the publisher describes it:

>Unger argues for the extreme skeptical view that, not only can nothing ever be known, but no one can ever have any reason at all for anything. A consequence of this is that we cannot ever have any emotions about anything: no one can ever be happy or sad about anything. Finally, in this reduction to absurdity of virtually all our supposed thought, he argues that no one can ever believe, or even say, that anything is the case.

He also has a bunch of articles in a similarly contrarian style, most notably "I Do No Exist" where he argues that no one, including himself, exists

Basically Gorgias reincarnated

sounds like our guy

I just want a Mainlander translation lads.

>>on the night on April 1, 1876, Mainländer hanged himself in his residence in Offenbach, using a pile of copies of The Philosophy of Redemption (which had arrived the previous day from his publisher) as a platform.

that actually sounds like Buddhic wisdom

there is a fairly large scholarly literature on connections between buddhism and pyrrhonian skepticism (some going so far as to argue that pyrrho learned directly from buddhists while visiting india with alexander). those pyrrhonists were obviously pretty influential over the western skeptical tradition, including unger. so, those similarities are no surprise

pyrrho was a top lad, washing pigs and living with his sister in gentle ataraxia

From Wikipedia:

>Philipp Mainländer (October 5, 1841 – April 1, 1876) was a German poet and philosopher. Born Philipp Batz, he later changed his name to "Mainländer" in homage to his hometown.

>Born Philipp Batz
>(((Batz)))

Hmmm

Not all German names are Jewish, my septic friend.

pederast, dude

Pic related and
lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/against_narrativity.pdf

In this work the author explains why he thinks modern humanism is bullshit.

Thanks for introducing me to this author user

Committed the greatest philosophical heresy of all, putting theory into practice.

this. seriously good read.

That book is better than people give it credit for. He spends more time adressing (potential and actual) criticism than he does waxing on about his views. Aside from the extreme position itself, it's interesting just for being an impressively thorough, scrutinous philosophical effort.

Yeah I've read this. It's a good one.

proof?

>In his journal, Gide distinguishes between adult-attracted “sodomites” and boy-loving “pederasts”, categorizing himself as the latter.

>I call a pederast the man who, as the word indicates, falls in love with young boys. I call a sodomite (“The word is sodomite, sir,” said Verlaine to the judge who asked him if it were true that he was a sodomist) the man whose desire is addressed to mature men. […]

>The pederasts, of whom I am one (why cannot I say this quite simply, without your immediately claiming to see a brag in my confession?), are much rarer, and the sodomites much more numerous, than I first thought. […] That such loves can spring up, that such relationships can be formed, it is not enough for me to say that this is natural; I maintain that it is good; each of the two finds exaltation, protection, a challenge in them; and I wonder whether it is for the youth or the elder man that they are more profitable.[25]

>In the company of Oscar Wilde, he had several sexual encounters with young boys abroad.

>Wilde took a key out of his pocket and showed me into a tiny apartment of two rooms… The youths followed him, each of them wrapped in a burnous that hid his face. Then the guide left us and Wilde sent me into the further room with little Mohammed and shut himself up in the other with the [other boy]. Every time since then that I have sought after pleasure, it is the memory of that night I have pursued. […] My joy was unbounded, and I cannot imagine it greater, even if love had been added.

>How should there have been any question of love? How should I have allowed desire to dispose of my heart? No scruple clouded my pleasure and no remorse followed it. But what name then am I to give the rapture I felt as I clasped in my naked arms that perfect little body, so wild, so ardent, so sombrely lascivious? For a long time after Mohammed had left me, I remained in a state of passionate jubilation, and though I had already achieved pleasure five times with him, I renewed my ecstasy again and again, and when I got back to my room in the hotel, I prolonged its echoes until morning.[26]

>Gide’s novel Corydon, which he considered his most important work, erects a defense of pederasty.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Gide#Sexuality

Not that user but Gide hardly hid it. Read Corydon, the Immoralist or his memoir If I Die.
That said I’m not sure what user meant by “pederast, dude” - was he acting disgusted I posted it in a thread of contrarian lit?

What does he propose as an alternative?

Basically FERAL HOUSE books. Top notch imho. I wish I could find them all online ;_;

Came here to Graypost. Guy's a prophet in politics, also.

The book I am writing (The Violence of Thought) claims almost 100% of conscious thoughts contribute to human opression. We must therefore learn that abstract thought is 'bad' and avoid it at all costs; a life of living off of the desires of the Id without any technology is the only way we may find 'equality' (nothing is equal btw)

The first time I've ever heard of anyone on Veeky Forums writing anything actually interesting. I'll keep an eye out for your book, user.

That sounds fascinating

lol

been meaning to check him out for a long time due to schopenhauer. still can't find a link or copy of philosophy of redemption. any help?

also nietszche apparently read mainlander and moved away from schopenhauer. why? mainlander wholehearted agreed with schopenhauer. he was like a disciple.

Doesn't the mandatory exchange of labor for food qualify as a form of oppression?

If the ultimate goal is to be free of all oppression, you have to die.

what do you mean, gathering berries isnt even oppressive to bushes let alone people

What if your neighbors harvest all the berries?
Is a retarded human expected to sustain itself? If not, doesn't the family structure and tradition work against this make-believe world of no conscious thoughts? Why not just kill your retard son and eat his berries instead of starving trying to feed him?

Big Lebowski reference

>Why not just kill your retard son and eat his berries instead of starving trying to feed him

this action requires too much abstract thought to be plausible in this scenario

>is a retarded human expected to sustain itself?
can animals in the wild sustain themselves? I think so lmao

I'll discuss this all night, friend. (On the government's dime.)
What is the threshold for abstract thought? If the drive to acquire food is acceptable but the drive to compete for food is not, where is the line drawn? Is coitus merely frivolity?

Do RETARDED animals sustain themselves? I think not. Rest assured that animals with severe chromosomal disorders and missing limbs do not fare well.

The premise of the doctrine is to renounce all abstract thought, except for the renunciation itself to remember that abstract thought can cause interpersonal and intrapersonal opression

you're getting into very simplistic territory friend, yes a retard will not fare well in the woods

>The premise of the doctrine is to renounce all abstract thought, except for the renunciation itself to remember that abstract thought can cause interpersonal and intrapersonal opression
This didn't answer my question. Does "abstract thought" include the maternal drive, the urge to compete, and the desire to improve function? Like it or not, technology is a natural product of pursuing desires like food and sex. What qualifies as abstract thought?
Simple ideas can be great. Is the retarded child's parent obligated to feed it or is that too abstract?

What if your neighbors harvest all the berries?

THIRTY MINUTE TIMEOUT I WIN ASSHOLE

Shit I’m retarded

nietzsche said he became to ill to remain a pessimist

Speaking of witch does anyone have a epub or a mobi for better never to have been ? Calibre crashes when I try to convert.

Holy shit you are stupid, go read about how niggers kill each other with tires because they have no word for morality. You are fucking stupid, and I hope your book flops.

First year in philosophy major right ? Write some extended description because that makes no sense whatsoever. It's current year you can't just spew out shit in a book and expect ppl to take you seriously like it happened in the past with most thought larpers

>why tolerate religion
i think we are at the point where being a strict catholic is more contrarian than atheism

It has "nothing" to with atheism.
But other beliefs.

Justine by de Sade

Why is this book impossible to pirate?

It's not, you're just a mong.

Oh sorry I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a non-retarded format.

Back to your containment yard a.k.a. retard

I think the only retarded one here is you.

Batz is though. Also why would he change his name?

pic related

sounds like the exact opposite of BNTHB