Plato is stupid

Plato is stupid.

Seriously.

And it's important that you all understand that Western society is based on the fallacy-ridden ramblings of an idiot. Read this, understand that he is not joking, and understand that Plato is well and truly fucked in the head.

Every single one of his works goes like this:

SOCRATES: "Hello, I will now prove this theory!"
STRAWMAN: "Surely you are wrong!"
SOCRATES: "Nonsense. Listen, Strawman: can we agree to the following wildly presumptive statement that is at the core of my argument?" {Insert wildly presumptive statement here— this time, it's "There is such a thing as Perfect Justice" and "There is such a thing as Perfect Beauty", among others.}
STRAWMAN: "Yes, of course, that is obvious."
SOCRATES: "Good! Now that we have conveniently skipped over all of the logically-necessary debate, because my off-the-wall crazy ideas surely wouldn't stand up to any real scrutiny, let me tell you an intolerably long hypothetical story."
{Insert intolerably long hypothetical story.}
STRAWMAN: "My God, Socrates! You have completely won me over! That is brilliant! Your woefully simplistic theories should become the basis for future Western civilization! That would be great!"
SOCRATES: "Ha ha! My simple rhetorical device has duped them all! I will now go celebrate by drinking hemlock and scoring a cameo in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!"

The moral of the story is: Plato is stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0zV1L7yFA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes but thanks to him we got Aristotle so it's fine

It can't be a straw man if opposition agrees that is their intended statement.

This is my favorite goodreads review

t. Aristotle

This

Kek classic
Do you think they'll ever know how stupid they are?

It was posted literally ten years ago so possibly.

>Plato is stupid.
Good thread when OP outs himself as a moron first line.

Read more closely next time. Socrates' interlocutors follow the argument. Just because you have an objection doesn't mean they did. Next time make a thread about a specific case and argue it here, that'll be much more interesting thanks.

Still the top rated review of the Republic in that shithole, together with what you find in the Bible reviews, the answer to your question appears to be a nope.

I don't see what's wrong with this. From what I understand The Republic is meant to be understood in its entirety, this excerpt is irrelevant on its own. Socrates and Plato are having an ongoing conversation about ethics and politics and the like.

>he still doesn't get the subtle yet riotous sense of sarcasm in the review
Typical brainlet

hah

>thinking it was op
Good post when user outs himself as a moron first line.

Holy shit, what an absolute hack. Now that Plato btfo and i don't have to start with the greeks, where should i start instead?

start with fourth wave feminism

Any particular books?

I was being sarcastic. Fourth wave feminism has absolutely nothing of value to say.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0zV1L7yFA

so this... is the power... of the platonic theory of forms

No wonder Socrates avoids talking about it ...

The reviews on goodreads are worse than the comments on YouTube.

I chuckled.

>Plato is stupid.
>Seriously.
Well I am convinced, don't know about you guys.

I love this pasta.