/PKD/ general

What does Veeky Forums think of Philip K. Dick? What are his best works? Was he on to something big, or was he a hack?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VALIS_trilogy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do you subvocalize PKD?
Me:
>Piccadilly

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is astounding. I'm less a fan of The Man in the High Castle, but it might be essential reading for anyone who wants to understand PKD. A Scanner Darkly is brilliant.

Mostly though, I would recommend his mainstream lit work. Confessions of a Crap Artist, Mary and the Giant, Humpty Dumpty in Oakland, and In Milton Lumpky Territory. Great stuff. You won't regret it.

Read Ubik or Flow My Tears The Policeman Said. Two of his best works in my opinion

My favourite author
Everything suggested so far is great
A Scanner darkly is my fave

I just finished the VALIS trilogy, today. Absolutely loved it. PKD is one of my favorites. Although, I can see why he gets bashed by critics for prose and plot, but his ideas hold up. At least, in my eyes.

I like him a lot. Generally, people consider VALIS, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep to be his best works. A lot of his other work is still highly praised, though. I'm hoping to read his Exegesis sometime this year. It's been collecting dust on my shelf since I got it last summer.

methamphetamine freak.

i've been through about a dozen different Work For The Dole projects in Australia, and there is always one burned out speedfreak washed up in them. he can't get a job because he can't shut up about fringe Christianity and space and electromagnetism and how the Pope isn’t the true Pope and Jesus is connected to the Masons and the Rosicrucians and the Hebrews colonized Mars and Nazis possessed the Spear of Destiny and used the Holy Grail to power their flying saucers that were used to shuttle slaves to the gold mines at the center of the Hollow Earth and did you know the Nephilim built the pyramids.

they're all the same.

i said this in the last Dick thread and i'll say it again: his short stories are his greatest works. Dick is more of an idea man and is less skilled at characterization or well-crafted plotlines. short stories are therefore a great format for him. you can get an idea of "self-replicating alien lifeforms disguised as vending machine trinkets" in 20 min. and, hey, if you come across something not so stellar (like the killer cuckoo clock), it's done in 20 min.

He certainly better than "I don't like how cat's rub against me like a fucking sperg autist" Deleuze

>VALIS
>trilogy

wut?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VALIS_trilogy

for me its Time Out of Joint

His ideas in Exegesis are actually sometimes pretty lucid, nuanced, qualified, and self-aware. I mean, sure, the "Aliens are beaming information into my head" is a bit kooky, but the ontological uncertainty, the idea of a holographic reality and alternate universes anticipated modern theories in physics surprisingly well.

He was the author that served as a great intro to Pynchon, so I'm eternally indebted to him for that. Past that, tons of (conceptually and occasionally in execution) short stories and novels. Try Ubik or Flow My Tears as good weird starters.

I've only ever read The Man in the High Castle, but that was pretty lucid...

Divine invasion desu

I tried to 'get' into him a couple of times but frankly I find him unreadable. His dialogue, pacing, sentences, you name it. Nothing grips me and I've tried Ubik, Flow My Tears, Eldritch etc.

A scanner darkly!!!

His best work is the Three Stigmata of P̱͖̥͝a͓̭͈̝͖̦̥l͙͖̱m̛e̸̳̤r̙͇͕ ͔̱̻͓̠E̷͉ĺ͖̹̞͙̘̬̤d̼̪͇̘͇͈͘r͝i̴͉͎̺̟̹̱t̹͖͘c̛͍h̳̬̹͉̹

Martian Time Slip

What a bizarre shop, she looks like a linebacker

>I mean, sure, the "Aliens are beaming information into my head" is a bit kooky, but the ontological uncertainty, the idea of a holographic reality and alternate universes anticipated modern theories in physics surprisingly well.

if any of these ideas could be verified externally to his head, then they would have just a little more validity. as it is, they sound like mid- to upper-tier kookery, just above that Time Cube guy.

Gonna namedrop The Unteleported Man again because that book is an absolute trip