/SFfg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Expectations 2018
>what novels are you expecting to be released this year?
>how many are you expecting to read?
>which series will you drop in 2018?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JXc07xDtqkw
whocaresnovels.com/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What should I read next, girls?

sanderfag a hack

webnovels and litrpgs are NOT novels

this but the opposite

i dont mind "litrpgs" if the actual lit rpgs elements are light.
for example fuck the land. that shit is horrible and really detracts from the whole experience.
but for example super sales on super heroes or alpha world are great. but seriously fuck the land. couldnt even get through the third chapter of the first book. that shit is horrible.

what ARE some good isekai books? Are there any that aren't anime garbage?

Book of Tongues by Gemma Files
MMMMMMMMboy!

daniel black if you dont mind GRI. also has magical engineering.
dark lord by ed greenwood if you can stomach a bleak world that has absolutely nothing god ever happening in it. also theres the bathrobe knight but that is the cliche guy gets trapped in a videogame thing going for it. its pretty great though.

>This will never work out, I mean, how will it even fit?

I'll def. check out 1 and 3. They look like a fun time, but I'm a pussy when it comes to bleak shit, unfortunately. I physically can't finish a book if it's too depressing.

Shades of Grey, Jasper Fforde

sequel never

is that swan humongous or is the guy tiny?

Swans are pretty big normally.

>download a billion science fiction and fantasy books
>can't get motivated to read any of them
I think the problem is I get stuck on wanting to read a super specific thing and can't ever find it exactly the way I'd like it to be so I put off reading anything until I no longer want to read that super specific thing.

Thank you and God bless America.

>I think the problem is I get stuck on wanting to read a super specific thing and can't ever find it exactly the way I'd like it to be so I put off reading anything until I no longer want to read that super specific thing.
dude, i have this same problem it's a real nightmare. I've got a couple hundred books and nothing to read. It has to have the right plot, the right tone, the right prose, the right characters... in the end, I somehow end up just reading fanfiction I have the same problem with movies and tv shows. Even if I WANT to read it- like, there's a sequel to a book I fucking adored, I still just... don't read it.

I just bought The Eye of the World. What am I in for?

What is some other good anime-core like sanderson and will wight stuff?

WoT is comfy as fuck to me.

You will either love it or hate it

Give me a nice smooth short Fantasy story, can even be a trilogy. Generic Fantasy is fine, something enjoyable

Bride of the Man-Horse.

I can only think of YA fantasy novels that I loved as a kid.
Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, of course.
The Wanderer by Bruce Coville,
The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce
Dealing with Dragons series by Patricia Wrede
Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite)
Xanth series by Piers Anthony

Huh. I really did stop reading straight fantasy when I was 16 or 17. weird. I never noticed.

source?

Wizard Knight.
Guardians of the Flame.
Chronicles of Narnia.
The Practice Effect.
Dark Lord of Derkholm.
Everworld.

Curse Blood - v1 c1 [batoto].zip-img000069.jpg

Yeah YA is about what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recs, dood

>spoiler
This guy has good taste and you should listen to him.

wew oops.

mmmmm, saucy

>Yeah YA is about what I'm looking for.
In that case
>Dealing with Dragons series by Patricia Wrede
>Dark Lord of Derkholm.
Seconding these

Wait a minute... This joker has six legs!

His atrocious official website still cites 2016 as the release date, in a 2016 interview he said :
>I like this book, but it has had disappointingly low sales - although things are picking up now. I'm planning on writing a sequel as the bokk after the book after the book I'm working on now, so maybe 2019. Sorry. I tried to clone myself, but all he did was argue and now I have to keep him in the basement.
It might come out eventually. I've read five Thursday Next books of his in the meantime, which were OK if a little hectic.

youtube.com/watch?v=JXc07xDtqkw

I AM A MAN-HORSE NOW

AND YOU'RE A RHINOCEROS!

Codex Alera

Read all of Thune's Vision. Absolutely amazing short stories.

litrpgs are literal trash, but still waiting on recs for good webnovels

Can someone recommend me one of the following if you've read any of these? I dont know which book to pick out of this list

>The Eye of the World: Book One of The Wheel of Time
>Sabriel
>Ascension: The Trysmoon Saga, Book 1
>Age of Myth: Book One of The Legends of the First Empire
>Red Sister: First Book of the Ancestor

>tfw 4 hour late
POSTAN

None, more or less. I try to read at least some contemporary sff so I guess I'll have to pick something up. Or maybe I'll just read Oathbringer and count that as 2018.
>how many are you expecting to read?
40-50 based on last years number and my current reading pace.
>which series will you drop in 2018?
In an ideal world ASoIaF, hopefully Kingkiller but most likely nothing because I'm a filthy completionist.

Sabriel. Unless you want to waste 4 months on epic fantasy, in that case WoT.

>what novels are you expected to be released?
i have no idea. theres no time for contemporary sffg when theres such a big backlog
>how many are you expecting to read
none
>which series will you drop?
the dark tower series

Webnovels are novels too

re:write is the evangelion of webnovels
whocaresnovels.com/about/

also this , kinda

Elysium Fire, out in a week, will probably have read within a month.

pic related

It is a gimmick. Drop it.
He continues to cry about "'m a leper" all fucking book. If I could sacrifice my dog to kill the user who recommended me that book years ago I would.
And i love my dog.

>>what novels are you expecting to be released this year?
Iron Gold, though I guess it's out. Not nearly as much anticipation as Morning Star had.

didn't gaiman publish some book as a webnovel first

There's no reasonable argument against them being novels, hell a lot of books used to be published in parts when magazines were at their peak

Red Sister is good, Sabriel is nice for YA, I don't like WoT it's too slow and generic

Can't recall anything about the others

This is what I like.

Do not listen to this utterly tasteless individual.

This is nice. I approve.

>The Eye of the World: Book One of The Wheel of Time
>Sabriel
These are good

When is Daniel Black 4, Wild Wastes 3, and Super Sales 2&3 coming out?????????
RRRRRRREEEEE

Recommend sabriel and trysmoon saga.
Sabriel is ya and trysmoon is mature.

>Wot is shit
>Sullivan should have stopped with the Riyria books, the females in age of myth(specifically book 2) are annoying boarding on cringe inducing
>Lawrence should have stopped with the broken empire trilogy, red queen was utter shit, and red sister is looking untrustworthy

Why is this so much better than A Song of Ice and Fire?

>tell guy the truth
>memeer who doesn't read just wants lulz and to be contrary

This is for you then. Enjoy

Not on bibliotik or mobilism :-(

If there aren't space Romans I don't care.
Not entirely true, VY Canis Majoris goes supernova in Count to Infinity and that was pretty cool.

Is it possible for fantasy to also be scary? Scary by modern standards. Lovecraft doesn't really scare me. It showcases the fear of the unknown, but the unknown isn't as scary as it used to be. We're too used to "dragons," as in, "unimaginable power encapsulated in an unreal creature." That "dawning sense of helplessness," or dread, that stuff like King horror novels rely on, just doesn't translate very well to fantasy, I think - we as readers know too much. I don't know, I don't see it working, but I haven't read much modern fantasy that tries to scare. (The last I can remember is fuckin' Goosebumps as a kid.) What do you think? Have you read any fantasy that scared you?

Pure kino

Hull zero three
Let the right one in
The strain by del toro
Mutation by Robin cook

Any fantasy about Mesopotamia or a world themed around Mesopotamian mythology?

We really need a list for Amazoncore fant/sf. I don't even know how to go about searching decent-seeming titles through there.

There's a fair bit of historical fiction with Gilgamesh the King being the obvious one. Between the Rivers is fantasy with a mesopotamia standin and finally bakker clearly copied a load of shit from mesopotamia for his books but they're marmite at best and it's more fringe there.

Something that feels a lot like Lord of the Rings up until the last chapter.

These all sound like hot garbage, except for maybe Let The Right One In, but that one still sounds like it only has a 50% shot of being not garbage.) Seems less scary and more just "uncomfortable" based on reviews, though. Care to defend any of them?

r8 my planned Sanderson read order

>Eldritch Palmer
So does this guy actually act like Palmer Eldritch or is he just named for no other purpose other than a spontaneous PKD reference or what.

Fewer POV characters and much comfier.

This would be even cooler if it was up to date and had the stars that are bigger than Canis Majoris. Also that quasar that's like 30 times the size of Pluto's orbit.

What do the Astronomical Units mean?

the (AU) means they are included in the Arcanum Unbounded book, a collection of short stories and novellas.

Sanderson is garbage. Don't let these jerks meme you into wasting your time.

I see. Every day you learn something new.

Is there any specific reason why you think he's garbage?

What would you recommend I read instead?

You have to decide for yourself if you like it or not, and many people obviously do. Don't let some Negative Nancy ruin things for you.

That's the plan, I've heard great things about Sanderson, but there also seems to be some people who really dislike him, I'm just curious why that is.

All the criticisms I remember are "muh anime battles" and "it's badly written" which amounts to absolutely nothing.

Hello, /SFFG/. I may have already bounced this idea around in a similar thread, but I've been away. I would just like some general feedback on a concept I'm thinking about.

The premise is that in a Victorian setting there is a translator who goes on an expedition with a Dr. Livingston type to a part of the world that has suddenly become volcanic. The translator and a member of a kind of Pinkerton agency are the only survivors of an ambush and they have to escape with their lives back to civilization.

Has anyone else read and enjoyed this?

I got the third book the other day, but I'd completely forgotten the plot, so I'm starting again from the first book.

Yes, you've got the set-up. And then what happens? How does the protagonist being a translator factor into anything?

There are two types of writers, broadly speaking. The plot over prose people and the prose over plot people.

In the first category, fit writers like Zahn, Sanderson and PKD.
In the second category, fit writers like Vance, Wolfe and CAS.

Very few writers are capable of blending both, but I feel that authors like GGK and Dan Simmons fit into that category.

>Dan Simmons
I've been disappointed too many times.

>Aeneas and Raul Endymion
I don't understand why anyone would turn their work into a fanfiction parody, but there you go. I feel so bad for de Soya, he was the only decent character in that entire shithole.

*Aenea

>Dan Simmons
>blending plot and prose better than Vance, Wolfe and Clark Ashbro
He doesn't even have better prose than Dick, just a wider vocabulary. You are rating him far, far, far too highly.

Kind of like Flashman, the scoundrel-y translator convinces the rougher guy to trust him even as they get bounced from place to place all in the name of a geological report. They have a bunch of misadventures and then get inadvertently deported back to where they needed to go all along. There's cultural and religious differences, and also moral shit and whorehouses. It's supposed to be light but also kind of grim in terms of like, the main society is probably on the verge of economic collapse, all these guys do is for nothing. Maybe the resolution is that these guys do black comedy Lethal Weapon things around a kind of ecological catastrophic world that would be our late Industrial age because they can't do anything else?

maybe i was exaggerating when i said he's garbage. i'll be honest and say that i haven't read much fantasy except tolkien, wolfe, and some grrm (which i didn't like). his writing never comes close to any of those three, and it makes me wonder why he got so popular in the first place.

the prologue for the way of kings was so cheesy and stupid that i couldn't finish the rest of the book. the part that really got to me was when some guards ask the dude who is anime running along the walls if he's a man or a god or some shit, and he responds with "i'm... sorry" before he slices them up with his "shardblade."

if the prologue is at all indicative of what's in the real meat of the books then sanderson is not worth the time.

Well that seems alright. I like a good picaresque.

I see.

I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see how I like it, I don't think I really mind if it's a bit cheesy or "anime".

I liked the series a lot. Interesting plots, well written characters, and the books themselves were consistently good through the series and there was a good finite ending.

Just finished the final Robin Hobb trilogy. Bretty gud. I never really grasped what she was going for with the Fool dynamic, but all told she kept it interesting throughout. Marathoned it all in the last ~6 months or so, which I assume probably made for a shallower experience than reading it over the 20 years she wrote it.

Anyone read it over a longer duration?

I haven't read any of that stuff but my journeys through fantasy series will land me there soon, what should I expect?

Any good fantasy/horror with a good sense of humor?

I'm reading the new John Dies At The End book and despite all efforts to stretch out the experience I'm going to be done soon enough

alternatively, is there anything like Worm that isn't Wardens?

Did I fall for a meme or is it as good as everyone says it is?

>I'm just curious why that is
He's basically the definition of a genre writer, his writing is really average and personally I find his autistic magic systems and worldbuilding would fit way better in a role playing rule book than in an actual book. And while there's really nothing wrong with reading a book or two by such an author people get memed into reading 10 and then they continue with 15 more because they're not worthless and muh shared universe. Read Warbreaker and Emperor's Soul if you want to read some Sanderson, out of what I've read they're his best works and they're self contained enough.