Help Veeky Forums

I'm 18. I want to write a Fictional Novel (i have hundreds of concepts) but have 0 experience writing anything Fictional longer than maybe 10 pages.

what do

Start with the Greeks.

I can't figure out if I should practice starting with short stories and gradually increase the length of the short stories I write, or just start writing the novel and overtime correct/improve it

You're still too young. You have to experience more of life before you can write a good novel. Start living the Lord Byron lifestyle

Write it anyway m8

It will either be awful and you’ll get so discouraged that you never write again or it will be awful and you’ll be motivated to improve

I'm just like you. I think the answer for both of us is to write and improve, and live our lifes.

Please don't try to live the Lord Byron lifestyle. He was pretty much born into the 1% of the 19th century. You can't be that self-destructive for a sustained period of time without having some sort of safety net

>I want to write a Fictional Novel

why? do you imagine it'll get you laid? instant respect? oh, dearie, forget all that writing nonsense and just deal weed like your friends.

Wait 10 years and practice with short stories in the mean time.
You can have amazing style but without experience it'll fall flat. Practice your skills as you gain experience and you'll do well.

You are like a little baby

I'm 18 and writing a book on Primitivist Solipsist Anti-Thought philosophy

I assume to write a fictional piece it must require experience though

Because I like writing, cunt, a famous writer isn't even what I want to be. I just really want to write a novel.

Id turn my concepts into films but that requires lots of money and I'd have to know people...which I dont

Beware of over-valuing "ideas".

Ideas are ten a penny.

(The main trouble with 99% of science-fiction is that people think interesting ideas make good novels. What makes a good novel is, mostly, good characters.)

Forget novels for now. No-one goes from zero-to-novel just like that.

Write some short stories.

If you don't believe me, read John Gardner "On Becoming A Novelist". He mostly says this, although he has a lot of other good advice too.

Is this just shitposting? Extrapolate please

A novel is probably too vast an undertaking; write short stories and essays.

i like writing, too. so i wrote a novel. i started writing and didn't stop until i had around 18,000 words.

just fucking do it. it's one of those things you have to learn about doing while you're doing it, like transporting heroin through Turkey.

you've heard of the Nanowrimo? if those idiots can do it, so can you.

biggest barrier here is your age. most 18 year olds think they understand the way the world works, and actually understanding the world is vital if you're going to represent reality in your book.

what you're going to do is write about how you think the world really is, and that can be very painful to consider later on. i was a complete fucking idiot at 18, and i can not read any of the shite i wrote back then without wincing.

if you can find all of it, read Edward Gorey's "The Unstrung Harp, or Mr Earbrass Writes a Novel".

it's not entirely serious, but anyone who has written a novel will tell you a lot of it rings true.

Write some short stories and sit on them for a few weeks. When you have nearly or entirely forgotten what happens in them, give em a reread and use your inevitable disgust to improve your next stories. Rinse and repeat.
The stories will naturally lengthen or shorten to suit your narrative style, making length irrelevant in most senses

>I want to write a Fictional Novel

Start by looking up what "fictional" means and also which words to capitalize in a sentence.

write a bunch of short sketches around a loose theme and then figure out a way to connect them later? maybe it will be easier for you to write many stories

heh. nobody ever gave Jack Vance any shit for doing that, and "The Eyes of the Overworld" is a pretty good book.

oh, btw OP: you're going to have to read damn near every book ever written, or at least have heard of the titles and be able to look them up on wikipedia, to save you writing something that's already been done, better.

faggot

Your book is masturbation