The ancient Greeks threw some MAD PARTIES

The ancient Greeks threw some MAD PARTIES.

Here's Dionysus on how much wine you should drink:

>Three bowls do I mix for the temperate: one to health, which they empty first; the second to love and pleasure; the third to sleep. When this bowl is drunk up, wise guests go home. The fourth bowl is ours no longer, but belongs to violence; the fifth to uproar; the sixth to drunken revel; the seventh to black eyes; the eighth is the policeman's; the ninth belongs to biliousness; and the tenth to madness and the hurling of furniture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7kbSfFFEvxw
youtube.com/watch?v=RMErg0xkjcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>and the tenth to madness and the hurling of furniture.

Greek wine was way weaker than modern stuff and often mixed with water
And a "bowl" was like those Japanese sake bowls, just little stone things instead of a cup

must have been lightweights then.

I do wonder how they lived till 80 on a diet of bread, olives and wine.

In a few generations that image will lose its meaning.

That's like the healthiest diet around
And people on these medditeranian islands still live over 100 years

From what I've read, the Sardinian diet (eaten by people that live the longest in the world) is mostly fruit, vegetables and legumes. This makes sense because that's where all the nutrients are. Bread lacks that.

I wonder how did they get jacked on this kind of diet.

a question for a true man of erudition to answer
youtube.com/watch?v=7kbSfFFEvxw

>The fourth bowl is ours no longer, but belongs to violence
in the original i'm pretty sure that says "hubris" as in "underage boipussi"

nietzsche wanted to destroy this

sourdough bread is great for you, rye as well

>Tenth brings to madness and the hurling of furniture
CHICOWEEN BABY
This. Bread then wasn't made of bleached white flour and factory yeast.

Greeks are terrible platitude-full pseudo-philosophy. Get out pleb

>here’s Dionysus

Where did you find dialogue straight from the mouth of a literal god and why was he talking about policemen in ancient Greece?
This sounds made up

Dionysus was a pretty common name

What? No it fucking wasn't. Some people were named Dionysius after Dionysus, but Dionysus refers to the god only.

How would you know that policeman wasn't a modern English translation of a Greek word that meant something along the lines of enforcer of the laws? Which they had btw, a whole class of them from which ruling aristocrats could be drawn from according to Plato.

Then I'd say it's a terrible translation and op should at least have said what text or author he was talking about in this shitty thread

Yeah but it's clear you've never read the Greeks so I'm going to have to dismiss all your opinions and suggestions

not Op but the original speech is pic related. there's a lot of different translations with various liberties and bowdlerizations

btw if you're looking for more on drinking and partying and fucking shit up in the ancient greek and roman world, the best guide to hubris and fish in existence is Deipnosophistae. you'll find that speech and others by Dionysos in book II if you're looking for where Op probably found it. ymmv on translations

Also that clearly lists the orator as DIONYSOS, so revisionist fag can fuck off

If you read the Iliad and Odyssey there are a fuck load of references to slaughtering cattle and sheep to eat "great sides of meat", many "fine cuts", many mentions of servants employed as carvers, etc.

Nigga Dionysus wasn't an "ancient Greek". He was a fucking Greek god
Why would a god ever say something like this?

>The god of wine encourages people to drink wine

Gee who woulda though

>Bread then wasn't made of bleached white flour and factory yeast.
I love how Americans managed to fuck up something as easy as bread.

What a fucking shill right

Actually if you read it, he advised no more than 3 bowls.

3 bowls doesn't make much of a Bacchanalian

the section it's from (the playwright is euboulus, it's a small soliloquy of what remains of his work) in deipnosophistae is all about dionysos and hubris (hybris) and fates and how they are shown in drinking speeches and toasts.

the rule of three drinks and get out if you want to be a good citizen is pretty well documented. there're a couple reasons for it: wine was mixed at parties, and it was mixed stronger as the symposium went on; attending two was dangerously drunk, and getting too good at games by going to too many of them suggested you were a cottager; attending none made you likely an idiot, so it's impolite to leave during those rounds dedicated to dionysos and the fates/muses. a symposium that gets to six drinks is the equivalent of a stag party about to go wrong drunk, so when alcibiades bursts in drunk to a symposium talking about manboylove (four drinks in) plato's being particularly suggestive.

very nice input, thank you for sharing image and info

Some of the finest cheese can also be found in Sardinia

Because Greek gods partied and raped like no one's business?

you know that plato's republic didn't exist in reality, right?

You know that it was a utopia based mostly on established practices right? And was primarily an idealistic version of the Spartan caste based oligarchy mixed with some components of Athenian philosophy and culture right? Lmao you didn't read it by itself did you? I mean you did read Herodotus and Aristotle as well didn't you?

>Some of the finest cheese can also be found in Sardinia
and protein packed!
youtube.com/watch?v=RMErg0xkjcs

THOT shots chart

> 1 pre-pre drink
> 2 real pre drink
> 3 get a beat cuck to buy you a shot
> 4 dancing in the floor with random niggers squeezing yiur butt
> 5 on the way out the club
> 6 from your friends jack daniels reserve
> 7 from a rich chad in his appartment
> 8 and youre unconscious while getting gangbanged by chad and tyrone