Learning German

I'm looking for recommendations of books to learn german on my own. I'm planning on using duolingo and enrolling in classes later on, although i couldn't this semester.

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/show/1OLcQdw2PFDPG1jo3s0wbp
podcast.de/podcast/625499/#archiv
slowgerman.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=AelM2zyv5Us
youtube.com/watch?v=dZKaTLIKeMw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Duo is great for getting in the mindset, but put the time in to learn the grammar. You'll thank yourself later when you're not a mess at speaking.

As far as book recommendations go, find some children's books at first. There's no shame in starting there. Once you make some steps forward in comprehension, finding a popular book like the Bible that's printed in parallel in English/German.

It really depends on your own learning style. There's no reason to spend money on programs or textbooks when there's such a wealth of knowledge available for free. One exception is if you do have the time and money for a structured course, and if you can use that as a way to motivate you to learn and do well.

It's a meme on here but Karl Sandburg's German for Reading ist sehr gut. See if can get it on the cheap on the webz.

I'm still pretty pleb at speaking german but I recommend immersing yourself as much as possible.

>German youtubers
>German music
>German podcast
>Shitpost in /int/'s Deutsche threads
>Games in German or English with German subtitles (fallout 4 is good for that)
>German books (I grabbed Cafe in Berlin and Grimms märchen which are decent but slightly more advanced than beginner)
>Duolingo is great and they have the their stories labs which are amazing for learning by working your way through a story

It's rough at first because you'll find yourself constantly visiting google translate, but eventually after seeing a word a fuck load of times it'll still in your head.

Viel glück mein Mann und hab spaß!

check out the /int/ wiki. German page is very resourceful.

before taking on books try news articles. Nachrichtenleicht is a really useful news website for me

Germans don't respond to those outside of the deutsch sprachebereich

That is because Germans don't speak English nearly as well or as universally as people want you to believe. Most of them are probably just too inhibited/shy to respond in English.

t. German ESL teacher

Try books like "Die Biene Maja" by Waldemar Bonsels, its one of the most famous German children books (and books overall). It's available on gutenberg.org for free.

Are you looking for textbooks or easy to read German stories?
If the first, Berliner Platz is good. But find a textbook with grammar exercises from Hueber (A1-B1) level.
If the second, you can try Märchen from Andersen, Grimm, or even better look for a torrent named "German graded readers" it's a collection of about 80 short stories using simple language.

Find a good grammar textbook/book with lots of examples, digest it and move on to real world reading. The Lustiges Taschenbuch series can be found in pdf in soulseek, it's mostly child's lingo though, and you'll reach a plateau.

They don’t respond if you write in german either, except with >ausläner raus

INS GAAAAAAAAAAAS

I'll start sooner Musil's On Stupidity. It's short, so maybe I can made it.

Why would you wish to learn this ugly ass language?
Sure, maybe to understand reading it, but fuck learning to speak it.

But german sounds really nice though.

>german is ugly

people actually believe this meme?

German isn't just Hitler yelling sweetie

>German podcasts
Recommendations please

I was told that if you had poor German they would jump to English right away due to impatience. Is that wrong then?

Fest und Flauschig

open.spotify.com/show/1OLcQdw2PFDPG1jo3s0wbp
Non Spotify mirror:
podcast.de/podcast/625499/#archiv

Slow German. Lady speaks German slowly so learners can understand. slowgerman.com/

bump, I want more recs

>Deutsche Welle online courses, materials and news (there's a slow-spoken version, Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten, with transcripts, which sound kind of annoying and unnatural for more advanced speakers, but are good to get your ears used to the sounds and are actually understandable if you're just beginning)
>Leo dict online for dictionary

Not out of impatience. Most German youths have decent englisch speaking capabilities and just want to help.

There's a DW slow spoken version of the daily news radio?? What's the link? I can listen to that driving the truck.

>>Shitpost in /int/'s Deutsche threads
Great idea, combine learning and shitposting, my favorite 2 online activities. How did I not think of that sooner

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AelM2zyv5Us

>German isn't just Hitler yelling sweetie
I-it's not? But I am only learning German to understand Hitler's beautiful motivational speeches :(

whoops, posted the wrong video: youtube.com/watch?v=dZKaTLIKeMw

www.dw.com/en/langsam-gesprochene-nachrichten-learning-german/a-2925601
There's an RSS podcast link, iTunes link and you can also download mp3. Posted daily except for Sunday, I think.

Useful. Thank you anons.

doing duolingo and german girlfriend right now

good progress ahead