Every Single Lovecraft Story

>"DUDE BROSKI I WAS LIKE SO MUCH SPOOKED THAT I CANNOT LIKE EVEN DESCRIBE HOW DARN SPOOKY THE THING WAS MAN OMFG"
Why the FUCK is this man a respected """horror""" writer?
Why the FUCK is this man a respected writer at all???
Not only are his tales not scary, but they're not even well-conceived!
Is there really this much plebian brainletism in the literary community at large that this man is considered a """classic american author"""???
I'm looking for an actual answer here, I want an explanation!

t. dumb memer who hasn't actually read Lovecraft

Many of his stories are full of vivid descriptions. I don't get how this "Lovecraft never described anything" meme got started.

It's a natural consequence of the first person narration style. Aside from the ornate vocabulary, his writing sounds very much like a disturbed person describing an experience to someone. Which is the point.

Are you actually illiterate. Lovecraft loved his scene dressing almost as much as Tolkien. If anything, he was far too into "The labyrinthine spires curled up only to abruptly meet at an oblique angle" type shit.

Read The Rats in the Walls faggot

His characters, pacing, and dialogue are shit. The only thing he has going for him is his eponymous mythos. Even that gets pretty old when it just boils down to "it's so different and horrific, humans don't have the capacity to describe it!".

Rats in the Walls is pretty good desu

>Even that gets pretty old when it just boils down to "it's so different and horrific, humans don't have the capacity to describe it!".
Oh great, another dumb memer who hasn't actually read Lovecraft. Go read At the Mountains of Madness and fuck off.

Yeah agree desu. I read Call of Cthulhu and was pretty unimpressed. Also like, the racism is pretty built in to his work,

Anyone who says this hasn't actually read Lovecraft and just secretly loathes him because he was "racist".

his earlier gothic horror inspired works and his dream cycle works are so much better than "muh cosmic horro cthulu mythos" works

>That hallowe'en the hill noises sounded louder than ever, and fire burned on Sentinel Hill as usual; but people paid more attention to the rhythmical screaming of vast flocks of unnaturally belated whippoorwills which seemed to be assembled near the unlighted Whateley farmhouse. After midnight their shrill notes burst into a kind of pandaemoniac cachinnation which filled all the countryside, and not until dawn did they finally quiet down. Then they vanished, hurrying southward where they were fully a month overdue. What this meant, no one could quite be certain until later. None of the country folk seemed to have died--but poor Lavinia Whateley, the twisted albino, was never seen again.

such a shit argument desu, lovecraft is genuinely a bad writer. he had a creative mind and all, but jesus christ trying to parse his stories is so boring and leaves you with a half baked "wow that was cool I guess" feeling. if you enjoy it cool, but there's no real good argument for him being noteworthy beyond his mythos.
Honestly that is a pretty bad story even by his standards lol

I don't care if people label him a racist or an anti-semite, that really doesn't bother me. I don't judge a book by its author's beliefs, lifestyle etc.

I've read Mountains of Madness, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Call of Cthulu, The Dunwich Horror, and others. After the initial period of fascination with the Lovecraft mythos, it just gets repetitive.

>trying to parse his stories is so boring and leaves you with a half baked "wow that was cool I guess" feeling
Then you didn't successfully parse his stories. I'm not particularly fond of his views (ironically some of the best Lovecraft criticism that I've read was in a Christian publication), but there is more there than you are apparently capable of recognizing.

The Music of Erich Zann is pretty fun and different. Pickman's Model is also different enough to be a little refreshing. There's also a book where he argued with a friend over his "indescribable horror" description but I can't remember it right now and I'm at work.

>dude bro u just like dont understand the stories they are so much more than just the same repetitive words and the same buildups and punchlines in italic font and the same descriptions of like super evil spirits from another dimension which are all powerful demonic beings but also easily escapable by the narrator, which is handy, because who else would tell us every single repetitive story from the same, poorly framed first person perspective???

>I can only interpret literature on a surface level.
Congratulations.

This. Also, check out The White Ship

There really isn't much depth to Lovecraft's work.

Is there any depth at all? If so then we are in agreement on the only issue being disputed.

He is not a fantastic writer by any means. He was innovated though. His seamless blend of horror, scifi, alternative history and fantasy. I would suppose his main selling point how he depicts man in relation to the universe in a post-death of god age, for which his myriad of alien-cum-deities function as representations of the amoral and disinterested laws of the universe that man is swept along in with no control.

I think there is a brief window in your teens you need to be in to get the most out of his writings. After that secondary literature on him is more interesting, like pic related.

None of what you say is important. Lovecraft is authorial protoplasm.

When I read him as a teenager I only understood it on a surface level. As an adult I can understand his books more thoroughly, but the "wonder" of it is gone.

>When I read him as a teenager I only understood it on a surface level.
There really isn't much depth to Lovecraft's work.

Yeah, but his work is more sophisticated than modern teenage-oriented fiction. I think a modern adult is more likely to appreciate his work than a modern teenager.

I think what it comes down to for me is that, as OP said, Lovecraft is not scary. He's branded as some sort of horror paragon, and yet nothing of his work is even slightly disturbing. Sure, it is sometimes a little bit unsettling, but only in the same way that like seeing a halloween decoration out-of-season in the shadowy corner of an antique store is slightly unsettling and confusing.
Poe (obviously, the true king of terror, rest in peace), Ligotti, and some others to a lesser degree, write nightmares. They write dreamscapes and increasingly confounding situations which baffle and disturb the deepest corners of the mind.
Everything Lovecraft writes is no doubt occuring in the standard physical reality we are accustomed to. There is nothing nightmarish about it, nothing mind-boggling, nothing but some spooky skeletons and octopus monsters and shady zomebie-people. That shit is not scary, its comical. It belongs in a comic book, not a horror story.
In short, if Lovecraft was not branded as an author of horror, I would probably find his writing and his legions of mouth-breathing fanboys much more tolerable.

>Everything Lovecraft writes is no doubt occuring in the standard physical reality we are accustomed to.
Factually untrue. Is this copypasta?

Dancing around descriptions by saying "wooooah scary non-Euclidean geometry!" and "it was so crazy he went mad just looking at it!" isn't really impressing anyone but a brainlet.

HE AND HIS CAT

And remind us please, if you will, what was his famous cats name?????

I like Lovecraft despite his obvious weaknesses as a writer. That said, I am ashamed to admit that Stephen King's short stories "N" and "Crouch End" were better examples of Lovecraftian mythos than what the man himself could do.

Im thinking it was Negroperson

Houllebecq's is one of the worst books ever written on Lovecraft. I Am Providence provides a better analysis of his fiction and the thought processes that created it.

Even Lovecraft's "sci-fi" involves dreams you pseud.

Can you people stop obsessing over CoC RPG shit for one second? Lovecraft's greatest strength as a writer of horror was his pacing. Just read Pickman's Model, At The Mountains of Madness, The Colour Out of Space and to a lesser extent works like The Dreams in the Witch House and The Rats in the Walls if you want to understand why he's still considered, for all his flaws, one of the greatest horror writers of all time.

Black Fellow

>Lovecraft's greatest strength as a writer of horror was his pacing
kek no

You're either baiting or a pseud. Either way, fuck off. A bunch of his stories that deal with alternate dimensions are very descriptive.

ol' blackie

Come up with an actual argument or fuck off.

Tape your boner for HP Lovecraft to your leg and go for a walk buddy.

>A bunch of his stories that deal with alternate dimensions are very descriptive.
"A bunch"? Maybe 1 for every 5 "indescribable horrors" kek

Lil' Wayne

H.P. Lovecraft perfected cosmic horror and has influenced every notable horror author of the last 50 years. He's the Tolkien of horror.

>influenced every notable horror author
No wonder all "notable" horror is boring, unscary garbage

Do you hate all genre fiction?

I don't really care what any Veeky Forumsard has to say about his writing. I remember the descriptive writing in The White Ship blew my fucking mind. He is crazy good at making a wonderful dream-world vivid in my mind.

I feel like he died in his prime. He died just when he started to get really good. The man was deeply critical of himself and regarded himself way more lowly than most of his modern critics. Remember that a lot of his stuff, even what is now considered some of his best work, was never published by him and was just a first draft that was found in some desk drawer after his death. The guy died with 47, after a life of recluse and frequent, long depression and inactivity. Just when life was on the upswing for him, when he finally stared to get some more success and recognition, started to overcome his extreme xenophobia, started another attempt at self improvement as a writer, the dude died of cancer. He probably died before he even wrote his greatest works.

non-euclidean opinion right here

So in other words, its just publishers cashing in in the "dude its so spooky!!!!" meme. Well I guess tha makes sense and they cant be blamed for doing so, as for-profit businesses. I have to assume that all this shit will finally fall out of vogue once its public domain, then

It's just sophomoric, ornate, Byzantine descriptions. The fucking guy said, "aerial ocean of light" instead of sky in one of his stories.

It's cliched descriptions by a guy that was clearly not very observant of his natural surroundings.

Eldritch light, hideous and abnormal, basalt pillars, basalt towers, basalt walls, basalt EVERYTHING. It's dreadful descriptive writing and basically repeats itself no matter what story it is.

Maybe if he had the inclinations of a naturalist he could have pulled it off. Alas, he just ran around the same non-Euclidean circle.

this is really stupid, incredibly retarded. his prose isn't great, its at times insufferable but the stories are eerie and he doesn't just resort to the devices you're parading around

>non-euclidean opinion right here
lol'd

>but the stories are eerie and he doesn't just resort to the devices you're parading around
Oh sorry it's "abnormal fungoid non-Euclidean hideous organism that cannot be described and, when glanced upon, drives men utterly mad because of its Eldritch disproportionate basalt non-Euclidean geometry. Non-Euclidean."

The only reason you find his writing cliche is because people have been copying him for almost a century.

He uses tired expressions. "tree-studded island", "clump of bushes". "green and flowery mountains", etc. If you are going to go crazy with adjectives and overblown descriptions, at least make sure they aren't insipid and monotonous,

There is a reason his ideas have lived on while his style was discarded.

Every single Lovecraft hater:
>DUDE MULTI-SYLLABIC WORDS CONFUSE AND ANGER ME I'M TRYING TO READ ABOUT FUCKING TENTACLE MONSTERS NOT SET THE BOOK DOWN TO LOOK AT A THESAURUS EVERY OTHER PARAGRAPH BRO
>DUDE WTF IS NON-EUCLIDEAN I'M FUCKING BURNING THIS BOOK LMAO

>THESAURUS
The guy was a total word pseud.

this post, the thought that someone exists at the level of brainletism to unironically post it, is more horrifying than all of Lovecraft's works of "horror" combined
the concavity of the poster's cranium where which his brain should be is indeed non-euclidean

Beneath the ragged sky, lay the ruins of an Eldritch city composed of ancient basalt Cyclopean monoliths, erected by the Shoggoth-Emir servants of a forgotten race. A sinister hieroglyph was found at the apex of each monolith, a Nyarlathotepian script emitting a faint miasmal odor. A scraping form became clear in the hyaline vapors, a form of horrible non-Euclidean geometry, one of the Khephrenites of the Nitorkis Queen from aeons ago, the time of the Elder Gods. A pair of distended and terrible orbs, punctuated by oblate discs with spectral qualities and glaring at I with studied malevolence, festooned from garnet-tinted, iridescent funiculi. Two distinct fluids slavered from loathsome ostioles; a thin azure aether and a daemonic viscous fluid of an unutterable viridescent tinge. The unnamable shape that served as the head was mounted on a disproportionate mound of luminous amorphous flesh, distended and writhing with tense peristaltic shudders. It's fitful ululations were indescribable and would drive a man mad. The horrible knowledge struck me: this thing was once a MAN!!!

The effulgence of my lamp blinded me and thankfully broke my nameless terror and madness. I stumbled lost inside the blasphemous carnal city of Shub-Niggurath until I collapsed with weakness. When I awoke, I was peacefully alone in my bed, knowing it was only a dream.

the autism is palpable

Yeah, exactly, if you're too stupid to read that then why are you even on this board

t. someone who's never read any amateur horror story shat out on the internet in their life, never mind lovecraft

he's good but imo the recognition he deserves is mostly because he created a vanguard

>""""horror"""" lit

Anyone else kinda like that the prose is shitty? Idk, the appeal of Lovecraft to me is that it's just campy. The redundancy can be annoying yeah but you can't go into reading Lovecraft like it's Frankenstein. Treat it like a step above Goosebumps and you might get more out of it.

Nigger.

>The inbred degenerate shewed me to the door wherein a cosmically arrayed horror presented itself. My usually strong stomach (inherited from a particularly strong Anglo Saxon pedigree) was sickened by the unmentionable sight of the tentacled being loathsomely reclined in a deck chair. Startled by the amount of vague description I was employing, I accosted a paddle boat and, pushing myself and the boat across the floor with the aid of a paddle, collided with the creature. A loud pop followed by an ejaculation of lime green jelly was the last I recall before awaking in the hallway. I write this now so that no other may attempt to- oh no, the door!
10/10 spooked me silly

>Le evil reicist author
Pls go and fucking kill yourself in boiling shit