Itt: your shit in elementary/middle school

Itt: your shit in elementary/middle school.

The violence held the most appeal for my dumb kid self.

Animorphs mainly. Also had a big phase with '50s Hardy Boys stuff.

garfielf and honkniggerbumps

Yup still got these books in my closet somewhere

harry potter

Rotated between bouts of James Pattershit and Philip K Dick. I was a weird kid

the Warriors series and pic related

this, desu

Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events. I was so into the series as a kid, I was convinced that the books took account for real events and weren't fiction.

Funniest books ever.

They would've made great movies. His best work was his late 80s YA books rather than his primary school books.

>Dear Mom and Dad, wrote Rudy. This place is terrible. Each day I am subjected to countless atrocities. The food is spoiled and poisonous, and the drinking water is contaminated so there is an outbreak of typhoid. Our cabin collapsed last night in a typhoon, but don't worry. Only one guy got killed. It's not all bad. I do have one friend, named Mike. He's the one who pulled me out of the quicksand. I have to haul garbage every day, but there aren't too many wild animals at the dump and I've only been bitten twice. Mr. Warden, the director, is very nice, and he has a real social conscience. He hires only desperate criminals as counsellors. Our bunk counsellor, whose name is Chip, is a reformed axe-murderer on parole. He has red eyes and yells a lot and keeps an axe under his mattress. Tonight is really going to be fun. Our cabin hasn't been fixed yet, so we get to sleep in trees. I sure hope the typhoon doesn 't start up again. I'll be safe and sound so long as Algonkian Island doesn't sink any further. Your son, Rudy P.S. If this letter looks messy it's because I'm writing it while being chased by a bear.

His writing went to hell in the 90s.

>Tfw the kids ende dup living on an island, alone, because their lawyer was too stupid to ever recognize Count Olaf.

Also, Beverly Cleary. Her best work was in the 50s and 60s. Her Ramona books got so depressing. The Henry Higgins books and the very early Beezus & Ramona books were awesome.

I read this shit in 1st grade and I've been a self aggrandizing pseud ever since.

this was the good shit

Hardy Boys was the shit. Undoubtedly my favorite book series of elementary school. My school library had a lot of them and I read them all.

Animorphs was my life from grades four to six

definitely enjoyed Redwall as well

>tfw still trying to figure out how things work at 23 but distinct lack of helpful mammoths

Haha! Yep!

Artie Fowl and A Wrinkle In Time (series or whatever), I just realized that shits' by a f*male too so I suppose they aren't completely worthless literary talents, Frankenstein too

only patricians read this in elementary school

anybody else?

Literally everyone in my grade read these

*reads, whoops.

MODS

kind of pessimistic for your impressionable minds, don't you think? Kind of interesting how often they were pushed to us.

Any of these worth reading as an adult?

Not sure. I tried rereading Hitchhiker's Guide recently and that was... underwhelming, so I left the rest of my middle school reading in the past as a nostalgic memory. That doesn't necessarily mean that none of it holds up, though.

Real nigga shit coming through.

I did book reports on all of these books

>mfw instead of moving on to books that matched my reading level I stayed with this series because I grew so attached to the characters

>no deltora quest

This was my go-to. Also the Magic Treehouse books and the Bunnicula books.

fuark

It bothers me that in every book there would be some "really tough" case that Detective Dad couldn't figure out and the case would be cracked open by a kid.

Got a couple that haven't been posted yet.

Based. I even had the encyclopedia of monsters or whatever as a kid.

Same, still have the series on my shelf.

Also the Brian series. The Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter, Brian's Hunt

Roald Dahl was my favorite author in elementary school.

I also had a bunch of Andrew Lang's "color" fairy books and other kid-friendly mythology/folktales

Hatchet (and its sequels)
The Westing Game
Holes
Narnia series

I was a little old for them when they came out. They sound kind of dark like said. Are they suitable for children, or does it just set them up to be Veeky Forums posting sad frogs?
Note how many people here have read them in a relatively small thread:

Anyone? I'm pretty young so perhaps not.

I kept thinking about these books when I visited Samarkand. When I read the books as a kid I thought it was a made up place

Those were really funny. I remember being a kid and laughing in class after something stupid happened and everybody just looked at me like I was crazy. Nice times.

It was a really popular series. Not just for future sad frogs imo, more like a kid-friendly dreary aesthetic like Edward Gorey

I homestly thought the Czech Republic was a made up place when I first read the books.

I was just reminded of this book by the same author
I haven't thought about in years, but I loved it when I was a kid
No idea what it was about though

The Stephen King of children

nah man I had a hardcover of the first book when it came out. I remember staying up all night to read it. I expected my classmates to be impressed by how cool it looked but they didn't give two shits.

I was obsessed with His Dark Materials as a kid, I've been meaning to go back and see how they hold up.

Read the first few as a teen. Really cool premise.

arry otter

these + the chronicles of narnia

What, there are 9 of them? Btw I've read the first one and I liked it

Patrician

Rook best era

Twig>Rook>>Quint but it's all kino.

I can't be the only one who read these.

Also these.
This was also all the shit too. Also deltora quest but desu it was trash.

mandatory treehouse post

His story DID have the happiest end, if I recall.
> Tfw essentially all of Twig's crew died immediately after the cheerful ending of the third book.

Loved these as a kid

Edge Chronicles was great because it's children's fantasy but not a Tolkien clone

Oh also it was really fucking great how the setting evolved over the course of the series, I immensely enjoyed that

I think you kind of hit the nail on something that I couldn't quite put into words. All the weird shit like the big ants and waifs and shrykes and such were great because they had their own flavor, instead of falling into the standard Tolkein archetypes (not a knock against LoTR itself, though, of course).

ages 2 - 4

Hobbit + Lord of the Rings
Dune series
Foundation series
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series

...damn, I read a whole lot of series.

>Hardy Boys
I remember trying one of these in primary school because all the cool boys were reading them. It was complete shit.

I started reading a Hardy Boys book in school once - literally from the school's own library, not my own copy - and my teacher said I needed to return it and pick another book because she said it wasn't appropriate for my age. I was pissed back then as I was enjoying it and thinking about it now I'm still kinda pissed. I showed actual engagement with the book and I was told to put it back. Who stunts a child's enjoyment of reading like that?

I made my parents buy all of those motherfuckers by the time I finished second grade. I used to speed through two a day, I loved those books man.

I know we all like to shit on Harry Potter but back in the day they were fucking dope

I want to read Redwall to see what I missed out on as a child. Everyone talks about how impressive the feasts in the books are.

My 20 year old younger brother swears by these books. I've met a few people at uni who said they were their favourite books too. Genuinely surprises me how hooked people are onto these ones.

For me, it's Tintin, Moomins, Calvin & Hobbes and Harry Potter. nothing too unique desu.

This is what I remember being assigned over the course of school in Australia:
>Tomorrow When the War Began (twice or thrice)
>The Outsiders
>The Rabbits (picture book lol)
>The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas
>Lord of the Flies
>sonnets of Shakespeare
>Hamlet
>The Great Gatsby
>Heart of Darkness
>Romantic poets
>The Crucible
>Pride and Prejudice
>William Blake