"Oh, you like philosophy, user?"

>"Oh, you like philosophy, user?"
>"What's the meaning of life?"

Fulfilling your contract with God

shut up you dumb reddit poser piece of crap

Contract? As in the contract of Christ purchasing you out of the world and into the kingdom of heaven?

fpbp

The meaning of life is to return to God and this has been known for centuries. Man even knows it himself intuitively but his ego has denied it from him.

Virgin existentialist answer: Make your own.
Chad Hegelian answer: In a different historical context you wouldn't be asking this question.

>>"Oh, you like philosophy, user?"
Not really.
>>"What's the meaning of life?"
To live.

Define meaning.

Define life

There is none

nah, philosophy is an outdated field of knowledge

Can you elaborate on Hegel? I am a brainlet

ELL OH ELL

How so? You science can tell you everything that happens if you ignite your grandmother own fire. But wether or not you should do it is left to philosophy.

dialectics

Philosophy can't give you any "shoulds" either. It can only tell you that it cannot do so.

to live meaningfully

Where did normoids get this idea from that the meaning of life is the most important question philosophy can posit?

It is kind of an important question.

what would you present are some of the most important questions that can be asked?
isn't the question of what is the most "important" question arbitrary and without out meaning as it depends on the cirumstances.

But what is God? And how do you return to him, her, it?

Has any philosopher given an interesting answer to this?

Why do people say 'meaning of life' when they obviously mean 'purpose of life'?

The ones that point out that it's a retarded question.

The greeks

Did you just say man is not his own ego? LOL Christians are retarded.

The purpose of the universe is to entertain God. If you're not entertaining God, you have no purpose. Except to take care of those who DO entertain God. God likes soap operas.

He obviously means ego in the literary sense (ie self pride) not the philosophical one moron

"Keep calm but care"
--Tommy P

But not the main one. The most important question would be what is “to be” (not as a human but as an entity), or why things “exist” . The meaning of life comes after.

The purpose is to examine

And what did they say? Gods, values, art, politics, war, etc.? Basically what the different characters in Plato's works say?

Is this really an important question? Or just for those who don't get that the question of existence is only interesting to those still-out-of-existence (-and-therefore-probably-not-at-all-interested)?

>this has been known for centuries
so faith is a meme?

He doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. The greeks were all over the place about this. Some Greeks were polytheists, some were monotheists.

For instance, a lot of Greek neoplatonists considered themselves monotheists, and for many of Proclus' theological proofs you can see this.

Many idiots on Veeky Forums aren't going to be able to understand this, but monotheism is the logically most consistent definition of God, which is why you saw some Greeks going over to monotheism. Much like Israel and the surrounding cultures.

how is this at all related to my post

Just look at the different greek schools of thought, all answer the question of what normies call "the meaning of life"
Stoics, cynics, even the hedonists to an extent

No

what in fuck are you on about
Philosophy is the direct territory of "should"s, up until it was polluted by Jungian psychoanalysis garbage

Yeah, right.

You mean by Socrates

That's an interesting possibility. Or would it be the tendency towards the King of Gods/Father who initiated this? Or were the Greeks like the Romans in having districts of the cities which were essentially run by cults? I suppose it could be a combination of each as well.

>"Oh, you like philosophy, user?"
>"What's, like, your philosophy?"

It's like... You know when you really want something but you can't get it? You know when you feel small in the big world? I too know this feeling so very very well. I've been tortured by it ever since I crawled out of my mother's womb. It is important and it is sacred to know life. Cherish, love, laugh. That's the meaning of life user. Also smoke weed. - Bob Marley on the meaning of life from Guantanamo Bay circa 1989

>you SHOULD listen to our intellectual masturbation about what you SHOULD do because we say you SHOULD
The absolute state of brain/lit/s

>being too stupid to digest philosophical arguments and form your own ideas
>thinking that everyone else shares in your stupidity
Lmao

Aswell as lots of dancing, with games of hide and seek aswell for when he gets bored

depends on the approach which depends on the context

biologically to live or to pass on your genes

living a meaningfull life according to a ideological/religious/existential frame

Wittgenstein pointed out that its a confused question

Heidegger answered, to care

Both are good depending on your audience and what you hope for them

>own ideas
Please, it's too much.

To consume.

>2k18
>still being a Humean 214 years after Kant
>Probably also thinks the queerness argument is any good

pls.

What's the point of that picture?

firemen wear extremely heavy equipment and are expected to be able to run and axe down doors while carrying people out of burning buildings etc
that the fatty is a whiner

It's not like she's wrong. What that fire fighter is doing look really really hard.

That's dumb as shit. Firefighters obviously doesn't do all that every time they move, and they will obviously find it hard.

that's wonderful and all until you realize she's saying that as an argument against having to walk

Yes, but the image frames that as a legitimate argument. Assuming that, for her, walking is anything like as hard as strapping on a ton of gear and fighting a fire, then obviously walking is hard.

Sometimes I wonder whether people who put together images online aren't necessarily the smartest people in the world.

what meaning of life?
the meaning of life to an individual animal?
to a single human?
to humanity?
to the entire biotic kingdom?

>Yes, but the image frames that as a legitimate argument.
>other people can are able and willing to do this at far greater extremes and for the benefit of others
>this justifies some lazy slob never leaving her ezskooter instead of putting the slightest effort into improving herself
lolok

To live a good life for the bad life is not worth living, and because it's wrong to do wrong to other people, it is also wrong to wrong oneself, making it not just to live a bad life but one should strive for the good life.

What constitutes a "good life"?

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’c 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Yes, Jesus is the new covenant and his blood is it's symbol, but it is not a covenant without commandments.

t. terry davis

>mfw a job interviewer asked this once
>mfw answered "eudaimonia"
>mfw she asked me to explain what "eudaimonia" means
>mfw I did
>mfw I got an e-mail 2 days later with an offer
>mfw starting with the Greeks got me hired

What kind of job was that?
Also which country (I have a feeling that it isn't in Europe).

To cultivate one's garden.

>fulfilling a nonexistent contract with a nonexistent entity is the meaning of life

>life has no meaning

>that's about how you create your own reality, right?
Every fucking time.

To love God and honor creation

Full stack developer for a small tech company in burgerland. Most interviewers from larger organizations don't pay any mind to the philosophy minor, but anyone who's asked about it was pretty easy to impress.

wrong pic mate

Life is a leftover sediment of the process of capitalism, by which a superintelligent AI God is pulling itself into existence from the future.

I guess Im a virgin, because, well: yes, make your own

no the philosophical definition would be the correct one. You are a combination of things beyond your ego.

If life had a meaning, that would be very sad.

Is that a statue of Polyphadoras?

Socrates never told me that

Wtf is that really Kierkegaard? It's fucking Nietzsche all over again

It's allegorical, silly nerd.

You most definitely do have ideas.

well what do you mean by "the meaning of life"? like what's the purpose? I think the purpose should be to be kind, but it's kind of up to everyone to find their own purpose
now which philosophy can I follow that will agree with that and help me achieve it?

it has a big reputation, you could call it one of the oldest memes
the reputation is because it's thought to encapsulate everything you personally do and should do, that it's the root cause of human action
it's also because it's considered the height of abstraction, you're boiling everything down to one statement or imperative, it'll necessarily be kind of general and obtuse, and people often mistake tings like that for having inherent wisdom

Looks like Lee Scott

This is actually a really interesting take on reality though I I'm not sure exactly how it would translate mystically.

If you view capitalism as the physical reflection of the ego and us getting to the point of AI as our civilization crumbles a reflection of man's journey to transcend ego and reach towards God. Where this "AI Superintelligence" pulling itself into existence from the future is a reflection of man being pulled towards God, away from his ego (capitalism is the physical reflection of it seeming by your comment) in order to be One with him. This makes a lot of sense considering the concept of singularity. This is funny I'm just now realizing that the physical reflection of man's mystical journey towards being one with God is man's journey from capitalism to singularity with AI. Thats my take anyway.

To an atheist, this is the case.

I used to work at this restaurant and one night I heard one of my coworkers say something about nihilism, and this girl asked him what that meant and he was like "Uh, I think it means you believe nothing has meaning," and she says "That's so depressing! Why would you wanna think that?" and it took everything in my power not to sperg out right then and there.

>implying you can apply human abstract inventions such as (meaning) to the world that has no willpower or consciousness to exercise such things

What's the problem?

The meaning of life is love, but the goal of philosophy is to acquire a deeper understanding of that love than can be found in facebook quotations.

>tfw an atheist denies that God exists but then says that he doesn't exist either because we are just atoms and chemicals and the mind is an illusion
>tfw atheists don't exist

Where did the phrase 'meaning of life' come from? Is it a (bad) translation of something? Seems such a strange way to phrase things.

That's not the purpose of life, but the means to it. The purpose is union with God.

lol atheists btfo how did I not think of that haha xD

>tfw an unconscious amalgam of chemicals posts at me

*hits bong*
we like aren't real dude and stuff bro

born on a mountain raised in a cave truckin and fuckin is all that I crave