Stop being altruistic

Stop being altruistic

Why?
People are kind to you after you help them and even if they aren't it still feels good to be altruistic.

You will help them more if you use all your resources to achieve greatness which will tickle down on other people eventually.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not

>stop asking for consent

>t. altruist
Oh wait. No you don't!

I feel the same way towards most of her works and beliefs.

yeah

>eventually.
All the time, you mean. Gotta pay your workers, or they won't work. If they work for minimum wage, who is at fault?

Obviously them right? I mean they are the ones who are getting paid minimum wage. They just have to be better workers if they want to get paid more. That's how selfish altruism works. I'm glad I live in America, it is so easy to justify these claims.

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

>Obviously them right?
They could kill themselves if they so wished. Too bad it's futile because there are millions of suckers who fall to the same trick. Westerners got lazy and don't bother, so cheap labor imports are taken to the machine.

>and even if they aren't it still feels good to be altruistic.
Nah, if you help someone and they act like a dick in return, it makes you wish you didn't.

No. Go away.

>Uses social security

Funny thing is, you are trying to help people by suggesting as much. If you believe that giving up altruism is better then you are in fact trying to be helpful, an altruistic gesture. You can never escape your fate, user.

did you just give us an advice? how altruistic of you, user!

>hates altruism, venerates selfishness
>triggered when a bunch of chad bolsheviks nationalized her father's pharmacy in their own selfish rational actor designs
>without even hurting him or his family

>you'll never rape and murder nubile Ayn Rand
jdimsa

Stop taking plasmids

She looks like a less attractive version of Kyle MacLachlan.

We the Living and Anthem are good reads. Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are garbage. I don't know who I feel sorry for more, Canadians who have to read Margaret Atwood or Americans who have to read this trash.

>Be Ayn Rand
>Call myself a philosopher
>Can't understand Kantian metaphysics
>Doesn't understand determinism
>My metaethical axiom (mans life is the measure of morality) is unrelated to the vast majority of my political and ethical belifs and could easily justify collectivism

I wouldn't touch that

Allowing others to not be altruistic is altruistic.

no you satanic liberal JEW

how so?

Her first short works were more literary rather than political pieces, I found them more compelling than her later 'treatise' of unedited drivel.

Rand is commonplace in the American high school curriculum, just as Atwood is commonplace in Canadian assigned reading. Both assume that having a national author forced down the throats of senior-level English students is good for their 'national identity', when in reality you are exposing students to low-tier fiction and placing it on a pedestal among better authors.

if it feels good to act for the benefit of others, then you are acting for the benefit of others out of self, not selflessly. being selfish isn't exclusively refusing to help others, being selfish is sometimes helping others because it benefits you in the end whether it be making you feel good or having some tangible value to you.

ITT: People who don't actually understand Objectivism

Altruism = Self-sacrificial behaviour

Rand never said acts of kindness and co-operation were evil and should be avoided. Her point was that the ultimate moral value for each and every person was their own happiness and well-being. Those who jeopardise their well-being for the benefit of others are committing illicit harm on themselves and are no better than those who would do the same to others.

OP here. My objective was to make a thread so people would be triggered and respond. Looks like we've got a supporter of Rand, though. Hook line and sinker.
>Her point was that the ultimate moral value for each and every person was their own happiness and well-being.
Wrong. This goes against all notions of moral uprightness, utilitarianism, productiveness, and genuine belief or faith in others.

>Those who jeopardise their well-being for the benefit of others are committing illicit harm on themselves
This is just evil and doesn't make any sense. I fundamentally like the Randian non-fiction for this very reason.

The way Rand functions is that her BASIC PRECEPTS are fundamentally, horrendously wrong. But she covers them up very well with legitimate concerns regarding intellectual property and taxation. You should definitely give as much as possible, being taxed is a completely different story though.

Her morals are fucked.

I'm pretty sure a dude made a career in science by proving that statistically altruism is, on average, a net benefit to the individual and his (potential) progeny.

This seems like bullshit. Sauce??

It is bullshit.

>OP here. My objective was to make a thread so people would be triggered and respond. Looks like we've got a supporter of Rand, though. Hook line and sinker.
lul u trole us gud ^^

At least it's an honest philosophy of ethics. Look at our society - neo-liberal, capitalist - and then look at the behavior that is most rewarding in this society. It's self-centered, egotistic behavior. That's why narcissism is usually overlooked as a mental illness; the ability to remorselessly potentially fuck up everything in your path to get ahead is celebrated, not condemned. If a moral system like utilitarianism has its place in the 'society' as superior being, I feel like Rands moral system has its place in today's individual.