What's your favorite Lovecraft story?

What's your favorite Lovecraft story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=77xxGopjMbY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And why?

Shadow over Innsmouth. The one with the buried body that exudes evil and "poisons" the soil is great, too, but I forgot the title.

The color out of space. It was one which i coild visualise the best, and when it got to the part where the creature has hanging from the tree branches i got chills from imagining it

This one

That's the worst one don't post in my thread again

The one with Nigger-Man the cat. best character in the whole story. I think it's from "Rats in the Walls"

NIGGER-MAN

you are not me

Can you fuck off out of my thread please? You don't even type like me.

Oh, very original! You're probably one of these SALT-RIGHT trolls!
Bet you haven't even read Locke!

Nice try there you basement virgin but I'm not a liberal I'm a LIBERALIST, do you even know what that means? Ugh you neonazis are ridiculous! At least know what you're talking about before you try to hijack my thread. Read some Nick Land then we'll talk.

The one where he says "nigger" a lot

The Racist one

Color out of Space for me too, but more for the descriptions of the people affected by the creature. The monster didn't scare me, but the idea of flaking into ash while fully aware of the fact was disturbing enough to get me.

The Color Out of Space?

Rats in the walls

>tells people to go back to pol
>literally while tripfagging with a political pseudonym
Pretty high tier trolling I must admit

If he were tripfagging he wouldn't be in this predicament

The Colour out of Space

West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut. There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight. On the gentler slopes there are farms, ancient and rocky, with squat, moss-coated cottages brooding eternally over old New England secrets in the lee of great ledges; but these are all vacant now, the wide chimneys crumbling and the shingled sides bulging perilously beneath low gambrel roofs.
The old folk have gone away, and foreigners do not like to live there. French-Canadians have tried it, Italians have tried it, and the Poles have come and departed. It is not because of anything that can be seen or heard or handled, but because of something that is imagined. The place is not good for the imagination, and does not bring restful dreams at night. It must be this which keeps the foreigners away, for old Ammi Pierce has never told them of anything he recalls from the strange days. Ammi, whose head has been a little queer for years, is the only one who still remains, or who ever talks of the strange days; and he dares to do this because his house is so near the open fields and the travelled roads around Arkham.
There was once a road over the hills and through the valleys, that ran straight where the blasted heath is now; but people ceased to use it and a new road was laid curving far toward the south. Traces of the old one can still be found amidst the weeds of a returning wilderness, and some of them will doubtless linger even when half the hollows are flooded for the new reservoir. Then the dark woods will be cut down and the blasted heath will slumber far below blue waters whose surface will mirror the sky and ripple in the sun. And the secrets of the strange days will be one with the deep’s secrets; one with the hidden lore of old ocean, and all the mystery of primal earth.
When I went into the hills and vales to survey for the new reservoir they told me the place was evil. They told me this in Arkham, and because that is a very old town full of witch legends I thought the evil must be something which grandams had whispered to children through centuries. The name “blasted heath” seemed to me very odd and theatrical, and I wondered how it had come into the folklore of a Puritan people. Then I saw that dark westward tangle of glens and slopes for myself, and ceased to wonder at anything besides its own elder mystery. It was morning when I saw it, but shadow lurked always there. The trees grew too thickly, and their trunks were too big for any healthy New England wood. There was too much silence in the dim alleys between them, and the floor was too soft with the dank moss and mattings of infinite years of decay.

I also really like "The Thing on the Doorstep".

Nyarlethotep. I like it because things actually start to unravel. In other stories it's on the verge of something happening but nothing does. This story is like an epilogue of the mythos where it all ends for man.

No, the one I mean is set in the cellar of a house.

>I also really like "The Thing on the Doorstep".
>check Wiki article
>the goddamn image caption spoils the ending
This is not nice.

It really doesn't, go read it. It's not the ending reveal that I like anyway, just the atmosphere and implications and stuff.

dude, cyclopean, lmao

The Temple, by a lot.

The narrator's background and perspective plays perfectly in to the typical Lovecraft formula, and the whole situation of a guaranteed death prompting a last exploration into the unknown makes for an awesome conclusion.

I bet a lot of people here unironically relate to Edward Derby.

The Tomb.

I want to like the shadow over innsmouth, I love all the ideas in it, it's just written so atrociously (and I love a lot of lovecraft), especially the part with the town drunk

Beneath the ragged sky, lay the ruins of an Eldritch city composed of ancient basalt Cyclopean monoliths, erected by the Shoggoth-Emir servants of a forgotten race. A sinister hieroglyph was found at the apex of each monolith, a Nyarlathotepian script emitting a faint miasmal odor. A scraping form became clear in the hyaline vapors, a form of horrible non-Euclidean geometry, one of the Khephrenites of the Nitorkis Queen from aeons ago, the time of the Elder Gods. A pair of distended and terrible orbs, punctuated by oblate discs with spectral qualities and glaring at I with studied malevolence, festooned from garnet-tinted, iridescent funiculi. Two distinct fluids slavered from loathsome ostioles; a thin azure aether and a daemonic viscous fluid of an unutterable viridescent tinge. The unnamable shape that served as the head was mounted on a disproportionate mound of luminous amorphous flesh, distended and writhing with tense peristaltic shudders. It's fitful ululations were indescribable and would drive a man mad. The horrible knowledge struck me: this thing was once a MAN!!!

The effulgence of my lamp blinded me and thankfully broke my nameless terror and madness. I stumbled lost inside the blasphemous carnal city of Shub-Niggurath until I collapsed with weakness. When I awoke, I was peacefully alone in my bed, knowing it was only a dream.

I've actually been listening to Lovecraft audiobooks until I fall asleep recently. There are a couple read by Wayne June and he really does them justice, I recommend any Lovecraft/Audiobook fans give them a listen. youtube.com/watch?v=77xxGopjMbY
On topic, I really enjoy Polaris. That one line is just perfect.
>"... but still the Pole Star leers down from the same place in the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey."

>I've actually been listening to Lovecraft audiobooks until I fall asleep recently
damn I've been doing exactly the same thing user, they're just so comfy. the one that kept me awake was shadow over innsmouth when he's in the hotel and trying to escape.

>pol
>tripfagging
You people are fucking cancer, at least /pol/ just needs to go back to their board. You need to get off of this site entirely and go back to where you came.

I feel that. I woke up once during The Colour Out of Space's climax when the dude wanders into the house and discovers what happens, and it made me turn on a light for a while.

I liked how he conjured up eldritch horror through something simple like rats.

Gotta read that one again. I remember the ending making me feel sad.

The Thing on the Doorstep.
Don't judge me.

The Horror In The Museum, though I believe it was a revision (or was it a co-written piece?) by him.

The Whisperer in Darkness or the Dunwich Horror.

It was ghostwritten by him. Most of his "revisions" were written entirely by him on the basis of a minimal outline.

DAGON!

The outsider

The one with vampire burried under the house. Yeah, I forgot the name too, but that's my favorite, as well. I generally like his witchy/demony stuff more than the space horror stuff.

Same here. Listened to the Lovecraft stories so much that I started branching out to others like Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen.

Found it. It's called "The Shunned House".

Cats of Ulthar
The Tomb
The Terrible Old Man
Cool Air

But I haven't read all of his works yet, just began getting into them.

Whisperer in the darkness was the creepiest I found. When he finds the old man sitting in the rocking chair gave me the spooks.

At the mountains of madness was the best in terms of imagery but it was too short in my opinion.

Nothing can beat The Dunwich Horror. I love me some elder god worshiping hicks.

Erich Zann my african american friends.

Charles Dexter Ward, Color out of Space, Shadow over Innsmouth, Dunwich Horror, Thing in the Cave, Music of Erich Zann

At the Mountains of Madness is my favorite though

>Beneath the ragged sky, lay the ruins of an Eldritch city composed of ancient basalt Cyclopean monoliths, erected by the Shoggoth-Emir servants of a forgotten race. A sinister hieroglyph was found at the apex of each monolith, a Nyarlathotepian script emitting a faint miasmal odor. A scraping form became clear in the hyaline vapors, a form of horrible non-Euclidean geometry, one of the Khephrenites of the Nitorkis Queen from aeons ago, the time of the Elder Gods. A pair of distended and terrible orbs, punctuated by oblate discs with spectral qualities and glaring at I with studied malevolence, festooned from garnet-tinted, iridescent funiculi. Two distinct fluids slavered from loathsome ostioles; a thin azure aether and a daemonic viscous fluid of an unutterable viridescent tinge. The unnamable shape that served as the head was mounted on a disproportionate mound of luminous amorphous flesh, distended and writhing with tense peristaltic shudders. It's fitful ululations were indescribable and would drive a man mad. The horrible knowledge struck me: this thing was once a MAN!!!
>The effulgence of my lamp blinded me and thankfully broke my nameless terror and madness. I stumbled lost inside the blasphemous carnal city of Shub-Niggurath until I collapsed with weakness. When I awoke, I was peacefully alone in my bed, knowing it was only a dream.
The palpable autism. Whoever likes this Lovecraft shit needs to read more.

My diary desu

The Haunter of the Dark

I never see it mentioned but I really think it's his best. It combined his psychological horror with a more traditionally gothic setting of an abandoned church.

For basic concept, The Thing on the Doorstep. Some sinister old occultist exchanges bodies with a little girl, leaving her to die in his old shell while he continues on as a loli.

For overall story, The Shadow Over Innsmouth. The device of a drunken hobo basically explaining everything is silly, but the narrator's suspicion, realization, and finally acceptance is excellent.

Also a fan of Whisperer in the Darkness. The way the Mi-Go were portrayed as interstellar cosmopolitans (just let us remove your brain...trust us...) set the story apart from "man's barn is attacked by space bats".

No one ever mentions 'The Mound' in these threads, but it's one of his best.
'The Loved Dead', another collab, is great too (necrophilia warning for the squeamish).

Who is that qt

The White Ship.

His "weird tale" sci-fi and cosmic horror paled in comparison to his more prose-reliant, classically-themed stories, and I feel like he deliberately dumbed himself down to appear marketable to the zeitgeist of his time.

Is there a worse artifact of genre fiction than Lovecraft?

Funny, the critical consensus seems to be that his work improved immeasurably after he abandoned Poe and Dunsany.
For what it's worth, I think you're right.

I wish he had found a perfect blend of Gothic and Cosmic horror (like the video game bloodborne), he pretty much always kept them separate.

Dream-Quest

Why did I escape from reddit, and how did I get here?

The piercing effluence of upboats has become mired in a pitch black murk of lugubrious satyriasis. I now hear a bloodcurdling scream outside, marking the end of times. The horror... the absolute horror. A creature that could only exist in the most terrifying nightmares lurches past the window, its long rotting limbs swinging from its emaciated frame. I look up and come face to face with the mindrending atrocity. Jagged teeth, bulging eyes, wormlike forms undulating within the flayed misshapen head. It's the average Veeky Forums poster coming to lecture me on something it knows nothing about...

Words cannot describe it.

Could you stop pretending to be in my own thread?

the dream cycle can go to hell

Lovecraft fucking blows