Has nerd culture produced anything worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TSrgyYVCFps
simonpegg.net/2015/05/19/big-mouth-strikes-again/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>they bothered to make Mass Effect Andromeda merchandise

No, they haven’t produced anything good. No good sci-fi no good fantasy, not even good videogames or movies.

Nerd culture isn't real. Authentic cultures are bottom up. They consist of the attitudes behaviours and memes of their constituent members.

Nerd culture is a marketing scheme. It is top down and is whatever marketers and advertisers say it is. Therefore it cannot produce authentic art

We stock these sometimes in the prize cabinet the kids get to pick from.
Literally every fucking time a kid wants one I feel a pang of guilt for giving them something so fugly.

No, it's all thinly veiled commodity fetishism, and nothing more.

"Nerd culture" built up the IPs and ideas that are now being sold from the top down. Like him or not, George Lucas was a big fuckin dork and cobbled together his own ideas and influences into Starwars as an example. Steve Wozniak would be another example of someone's creation coming out of the bottom and now being sold from the top.

muh supaheroes!
comics !
sci fi!!!

>people actually like these
the only thing worse than these are those fucking retarded looking micky mouse ones. Like, what retard thought that was a good idea?

I mean, we had fuckin' chibi's and shit but at least they had fucking faces.

Why are these things plastic? They wouldn't even be that bad if they made them as 12" dolls.

WHY? WHY DO THESE EXIST? Their existence is vexing. WHY AREN'T THEY DOLLS?

holy cow capitalism is so fucking gay

my sister buys this stupid shit and I wanna smack her over the head with a fucking golf club when I see them

just back from publix and really wishing i had picked up a double brie or some danish blue at the very least

couple good non fiction books

Masters of Doom
Racing the Beam
I am error
Console Wars

you could also argue that watchmen is Veeky Forums

Why don't you do it?

don't smack her break the toys. that will teach her a lesson and also you won't have to kill her!

I fucking hate self described nerds. Truly the most tepid of midwits. Dumb people are easy to talk to, truly smart people are easy to talk to, but midwits elude me.

>tfw you spend $1000 a year on these

Can't help myself lads. I need to collect.

Hey, there are good non-capeshit comics. It is not an inherently childish medium

No.

No. Some idiots might try to babble about sci-fi and fantasy but every good genre fiction writer predates nerd culture.

I have no idea what nerd culture means in this context.

> haha I’m studying Maus in my postmodern literature class it’s SOOOOOOOO frEeeeAky it’s like the holocaust but with mice and cats and it’s metafictional which is like when fiction talks to itself like my grandma does haha

Please define 'nerd culture'.
The greatest work of art ever is for the most part loveletters to the genre.

In Western civilization hollow genre fiction is overhyped by the media and dumb manchildren blindly swallow the hype. Look at the religious level worship that surrounds Star Wars, superhero movies/comics, and Game of Thrones.

What part about it do you not understand?

youtube.com/watch?v=TSrgyYVCFps

That isn't a definition.

>star wars rebels but not game of thrones, gtfo with your lame ass "nerd culture"

To each their own, but I wouldn't put SW and superheroes together with GoT.

GoT is cancer you ape

Tails Gets Trolled

fandom sucks alright, but content and world is above star wars and marvel/dc. it's half way lotr and pulp fantasy.

Nope.

Masters of Doom is great, essential americana imo

kek nice argument little bafoon

what are some Veeky Forums comics?

post your collection

no

fuck off

>destroying someone else's property because it doesn't agree with your feefees
Nigger detected.

>in b4 "soyboy detected"
I don't collect this garbage but I don't feel the need to be aggressive to the virgins who do

I'd go one further. Nothing that inspired the stuff that nerd culture worships is worth reading either.

Are they so inarticulate that all they could do to describe the things they get is use the word cool and attach an adjective to it?

To understand nerd culture, we must understand the nerd identity before it became commoditized. The word gained prevalence in the latter half of the 20th century, and the word was associated to a person who had a strong affinity for academics, natural sciences, technology particularly computers, and lack of social skills. Nerds were shamed and bullied for these qualities as a perceived weakness and lack of masculinity. One of the first mediums nerds gravitated towards were role-playing games such as D&D in the 70's - 80's. The Satanic Panic of the 80's smeared D&D, and exacerbated the reputations of nerds, and their identity.

Video games also had a little popularity among nerds in the 70's -early 80's starting with arcade games, them home consoles, followed by the crash in 1983. The vidya industry was reborn in '85, but didn't actually gained a general popularity until the late 90's - early 00's.

What happened here, a specific medium which has always been associated with the nerd stereotype has now gained general acceptance among the community. The identity has been further normalized in the 00's by television shows and movies like The Big Bang Theory, the Doctor Who reboot, The Lord of the Rings movies, the Harry Potter franchise, the Star Wars prequels, and cable channels like TechTV/G4.

1/2

Entering the 2010's, the 'Nerd' has been successfully commoditized. By bringing together science fiction, fantasy, video games, comics, tv/film, board games, and card games marketers and advertisers have created a consumer identity which bears little resemblance to its old form.

Millenials who grew up consuming "nerd media" have developed a self-awareness of sorts. They know enough that the nerd identity has become mainstream, and they express their discontent by saying those who only consume this media, but do not have an interest in science aren't real nerds. Yet, they only postulate a fleeting love or interest in science (ie "OMG I LUV SCIENCE XDDD!!!!!" types), and are only interested in interesting scientific facts, not the nitty gritty study of the sciences themselves. Despite their amateurish understanding of science, they worship it as a secular religion, and look up to Richard Dawkins, Bill Nye, and Neil Degrasse Tyson gods.

tl;dr - Nerd culture is nothing but consumerism, idolizing franchises, subscribing half-baked scifi/fantasy lore philosophies, and worshiping the modern institution of science.

Very cool.

Okay.

BPRD
Road to Perdition
A history of violence
Happy
Preachet
Habibi
Greek Street

Those are the only comics I ever read.

You should read Watchmen, Persepolis, Maus. Those are also Veeky Forums comics.

If you can't tell RLM are parodic you are a fucking cretin.

You are a butthurt hipster edgy faggot. You're not completely wrong, but I would still stab you in the ribs with a broken beer bottle for being such an insufferable cunt.

Watchmen is fucking shit, but I did read Persepolis and it was great.

Akira if you don't mind Japanese stuff. The printed editions are expensive but you can find the complete scans online.

What is nerd culture? Star Wars? Batman? Spiderman? The IT Crowd? Define it muh man.

What's that cyberpunk one that Veeky Forums always talks about called? The title's a number but I can never remember the number.

Console Wars is great.

>Orson Scott Card
>Philip K. Dick
>Frank Herbert
>Isaac Asimov
>J.R.R. Tolkein
These are the only scfi/fantasy authors worth reading. Notice that they predate the upcoming of nerd culture.

Lmao

>card
Tastelet

>Orson Scott Card
Enormously overrated, Ender's Game was one of the most predictable things I have ever read.
>PKD
Never read him, but he sounds good
>Frank Herbert
Dune went downhill after Dr. Kynes died.
>Isaac Asimov
Correct
>JRR Tolkien
Correct

>butthurt
>I would still stab you in the ribs with a broken beer bottle
Take it easy, sweetie. Just relax, and play some Nintendo Switch™ to calm down, m'kay?

I don't actually care, I was just being annoying.

2020 Visions? Never read it .

A bit early for me it seems.

I probably should get around to it, although I did try GitS and Appleseed and found them lacking.

The fanbase is utterly annoying, but the books and show are just mediocre. Whenever something is hugely popular it's likely not very good, but it's not bad either. Just meh.

The original Watchmen is a masterpiece. The prequels/sequels suck.

>midwits

That's a fantastic word user.

It's a deconstruction of a genre I dislike so it will always be shit in my eyes.

I tried playing through the MEs before buying Andromeda a couple of months back and realized they're utter shit. Then I replayed fully modded Morrowind and had the time of my life. Maybe I'm getting old but I feel like older games are so much better.

It's a bit of both really, one of the things is that gaming is such a big industry and they are pumping the games out faster

Very cool.

ME1 only came out 5 years after Morrowind, and if you read the codex there's some interesting stuff in there. Oblivion came out 2006 and was still good but the general meme is things started downhill around 2007 as far as AAA games go. I hated Mass Effect after the first one.

>property exists
LMAO

I never read it but Legend of the Galactic Heroes was based off some sci-fi Japanese novels and that anime is as kino as anime can get.

Uzumaki is another great japanese manga imo. The horror and artsyle is pretty captivating.

Japs really love Cronenberg don't they?

I remember hearing something about them loving body horror so much cause it reminds them about how their culture was completely westernized after wwii.

Literally anything which inspires people to say or think "lol I'm such a nerd".

Not that I can think of, but some Star Trek episodes are worth watching.

yes, this is the most important book of 21st century so far

I was about to argue against this by saying nerddom was always commoditised (eg D&D rulebooks and vidya weren't free), but then I read again- you're saying first there were nerds, and THEN they gravitated toward certain products, whereas now being a nerd literally means consuming certain products. Makes sense, good argument.

this was the best I've ever read, amazing

Nerd culture is so sad. What is even sadder is that they don't get bullied for it. I don't mean they should be bullied for their intelligence, but for their femininity. Now it seems the people who were nerds, are now - I hate to use the term - hard leftists.

But what about the nerds on this website? From what I’ve seen, they’re pretty conservative.

It's all to perpetuate consuption
the Nerd is the perfect capitalist, he's willing to spend tons of his wages on utterly useless trivial shit in order to pose and gains status with his fellows, as it stands now, its an identity entirely built around material consumption and display of said conspicuous waste.

Jodorowski as in Holy Mountain, Dance of Reality, El Topo, Jodorowski? The "fuck capitalism for not letting me rape Dune" Jodo? If so, I need this in my life so fucking bad.

Best analysis here.

>tfw the only nerd object in my posession is a small Yoda figure I stole from some chick I used to date

>Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control
Pegg

>SW is for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike
Lucas

>SW created the big-budget comic book mentality, it ate the heart and the soul of Hollywood
Schrader

>A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen SW over a 100 times? I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities
Guinness

>I don't think they are making them an elevated art form, it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core
Cronenberg

>I don't want to see films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me
Friedkin

>They have been poison, this cultural genocide. The audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human
Iñárritu

>Spandex must cost a lot. I look at them and scratch my head. I’m really baffled by it
Gibson

>Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire, this religion. It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States
Jodorowsky

>Superman Vs Spiderman, Iron Man Vs Superman... I can't believe people are still paying to see this shit
Verhoeven

>>Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control
Was he being sarcastic? This quote really sticks out as inauthentic and, frankly, retarded.

Never mind, I found a blog post of his where he explains the context and elaborates on his actual, less retarded position.

"nerd" stands for normal person who's into marvel movies and that sort of shit
people on Veeky Forums are referred to as "spergs" or "weirdos"

>Maybe bashing 'muh nu-males' will make me feel like less of a try-hard pseud. Do I fit in yet???

Post link por favor.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Cronenberg, a guy who made B-horror movies for nearly 30 years. seems a little silly trying to define something as adolescent.

"Normal" nerds in the wild have seen 3 Star Wars movies and are huge fans even though it's all they have seen. "I'm trying to fit in" is what you feel when you encounter them.

"Nerds" here have seen/read like 30 different series and their novel/manga/anime/movie adaptations. You are going to get plenty of autistic people in this group, but definitely not autistic enough to jump on counter in McDonalds demanding their drink.

>dead ringers
>altered state
>scanners
>videodrome
>crash
>a history of violence
>eastern promises
>adolescent

Fuck off cocksuck

I could never get into the ME series myself (not for a lack of trying, mind you), but I'd still say that Andromeda is the only one of them that's legitimately bad on almost all fronts.

As for whether or not old games are tendentially better, I think it depends an awful lot on the type of game. Turn-based tactics has stagnated/devolved, for example, with a game from 1999 still reigning supreme over all that succeeded it, but action RPGs and (arguably) racing games have been continuously improved/tweaked. Also, I think you could make a solid case for survival sims being better now than ever before, despite the vast ocean of shit you have to swim through to get to the decent ones.

simonpegg.net/2015/05/19/big-mouth-strikes-again/

I have not played a game that came out in this decade except Borderlands 2.

I'd add Will Eisner and early underground comix like Raw and Zap.

He's surprisingly coherent and seems pretty well-read.

>Discrediting an incredibly moving work by making up a shallow reading.

Should have been you in those gas chambers.

The Alec Guinness quote is so brutal (and sadly true in its implications)

Hate to tell you this, user, but it looks like you're trying to argue seriously with either /pol/ or /r9k/ or both.