Hey mates, I'm about to read Conspiracy against human race. Has anyone read it ? is it any good...

Hey mates, I'm about to read Conspiracy against human race. Has anyone read it ? is it any good ? I absolutely love True detective (TV Show), I know that it is mostly based on this book. Also, whoever read it, why do you like it and why is it special for you ? (if it is)

It's boring. Pretty much just Ligotti complaining that life is meaningless.

I'm an antinatalist and even I think its overdramatic crap. More or less Cioran without the lyricism or self-awareness.

Hmm how disappointing, I absolutely enjoyed Cohle's quotes and screen time tho.

Just read it then. I read it after finishing True Detective and it didn't disappoint me. If you like Cohle's outlook, you'll enjoy Ligotti.

this book is quite frequently misunderstood imo. i don't think it's intended to be read as nonfiction. it is composed of true facts about antinatalism but i doubt ligotti believes all of them. it's supposed to be scary b/c it could be true

how do you get any more melodramatic than Cioran?

OP here, Thanks for the replies, i'll definitely read it

I dont think its any good

When I was working at a bookstore I would glance through this or his penguin short story collection.

The short stories were fine, but this was just naive endless moaning. From a philosophical perspective this is just weak argumentation, not to mention melodramatic. Its just a much worse version of Notes from the Underground

However if you enjoy judgement and gossip, this should be fine

don't waste your time and certainly don't waste your money, $20 for like 200 pages fuck that

I found that it served well as an introduction into the different takes on Pessimism, having only read Last Messiah prior. Though Ligotti doesn't add much himself.

You have not read the whole book. Dont talk about it if you havent read the book. you fucking pseud shit

This used to be posted a lot here. Just look at the archives. Right now you're basically reading echo chamber output.

lmaoing@dostoguy with his notes from the underground comparison. What has this board come to.

This. It's first and foremost a new genre of horror: philosophical horror

>implying Veeky Forums isn't better than it used to be
kek

>implying you were here long enough to know

It's great, OP.

I read it a while and remember quite enjoying it but feeling that he either undervalued or didn't really read Schopenhauer. I would encourage you to read The World as Will and Representation, both volumes, although I appreciate that this may seem daunting.

It's good and relevant and reads well, but as has been said in the thread, it really does amount to a lot of whining and complaining (not that I don't think being alive merits complaining, I feel you Ligotti)
If you want to read some valuable writing, head on over to Ligotti's short horror
I found it to be satisfyingly nightmarish

this.

>he doesn't think Ligotti actually, unironically, and understandably, hates people including himself enough to wish that the human race would disappear
must be nice to not have crippling depression

It's a good read OP.

I've never read any philosophical pessimism before but I did have a bit of a pessimistic outlook on life. I completely empathize with pessimism and am thankful for the insights into what is a part of me. But it's just that, a part. Ultimately I'm an optimist and this book helped me understand and appreciate the dark and the light much more.

Worth the read imo

Why would I finish reading a shitty book? Got through a decent chunk of it and it was not worth reading. Period.

Reading it right now senpai about to start Dr Voke and Mr Veech. Picked it up on account of enjoying the OP book so much and figured this dude could make up some god tier horror and man o man is he ever delivering. This shit is fuckin terrifying. Best horror ive read since Poe and no I am not memeing. Ligotti is gonna go down in the history books as the true Poe sucessor while Lovecrap gets forgotten

>It's boring. Pretty much just Ligotti complaining that life is meaningless.
But wait... you are implying life is not mean meaningless?
Evidence, please?

I listened to the computer-generated audiobook on Friedrich von Uxküll's Youtube page.

The first part was the most interesting in my opinion--particularly the stuff on puppets. It got less interesting as it bore on. It was less scary than I expected given its reputation and premise, but maybe I'm too acculturated to the "everything you think you know is a lie and everything sucks" genre of philosophizing that, for me at least, was done better by Schopenhauer and Dostoevsky and characterized well by Nietzsche.

To get creepy lovecraftian feels, I prefer to read Gilles Deleuze and Nick Land. I don't necessarily agree with their goals, mind you, but their ideas are interesting and provocative. Can anyone else recommend writing of this kind?

I've never read the thing but

Have faith in existence itself
What else could you have faith in

For example: Suppose you think existence itself is fucked.
Now, from what basis could you determine the idea of you saying "this or that idea is worthwhile or bad"

You wouldnt have any

Existence is bad, and you exist, and nothing you say matters
Where are you there?
Where are you, as a value
Subjective value?

>where are you
Thinking you are anywhere, or anyone, or anything, or that there even is a "where" for a supremely egotistical "You" to be, that is your mistake

ayo,
thats the centering i like to hear

Teatro Grosso is a better collection of stories imo

Ya im going to read that one next
Still finishing this penguin classic edition whilest terrorizing Veeky Forums with truth and insight, generally taking the due time it deserves
Ligotti really is a great mind

nobody is implying life isn't meaningless.
it's just a well-known truth by now, so what's the point of complaining? It's not going to give life the meaning we all so desperately crave. Tears never solve anything.

It's as good as writing or living itself.
I don't think he was writing to solve anything. He just did because he wanted to.
fwiw I didn't see Ligotti's tears in his work. It's much darker than that.

i liked the book but i didnt understand the idea of all of us being one, of the self being an illusion and so on. obviously he's taking it from somewhere, and i don't know where that is, and i'm very interested.