/sFFg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

SFFG's 2018 Resolutions
>What are sff your plans for 2018?
>How fired up are you to get started?
>2017 sff disappoints that are brought over to 2018?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/1059
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Sanderson-san

Second for webnovels are novels too

sandarfag a hack

we miss you CAS-kun, come back to us

>what are sff your plans for 2018?
read the cleric quintet and the stormlight archives and possibly the first wheel of time book
>how fired up are you?
ive been super excited since the beginning of the year and have been reading basically non-stop.
>2017 sff disappoints that are brought over to 2018?
wind of winter wasnt released and probably wont be released this year or even ever

Is it even possible to write in this Trump era ? How can you write fiction when internet activism needs to be done!

only the worm guy's ones tho

nope

yes

no

But who is Hoid?

can Veeky Forums please recommend some High Fantasy?

Does anyone have any advice for a novice writer who is writing his first sword & sorcery story? (I posted in the last thread.)

>Does anyone have any advice for a novice writer
Yea. Stop touching my fucking daughter before I break your face.

> jack vance, dying earth
> jack vance, lyonesse saga
> gene wolfe, wizard and knight
> black company
> shadow of the torturer / new sun books

try the novelizations for magic the gathering

you think that door can stop ME? i'll jimmy that shit then take all your young, innocent ideas for myself while you cry in the corner.

write
write
write
submit to zines and semi-pro zines and professional magazines
study their rejection letters
try writing courses like the Clarion Workshop, and/or English/Lit degree
dying earth is not high fantasy, it is dying earth
its called the wizard knight you moran
black company is not high fantasy, its sword and sorcery/low fantasy/genre trash
shadow of the torturer/new sun is dying earth

black company absolutely is high fantasy you mong

Even if we use the incorrect definition of high fantasy when people mean has magic and shit black company has gods and spells and prophecy all over the place

What are these and should I be interested?
Also anyone read pic related?

>black company
>high fantasy
fufufu

Good luck on being rejected for being a shit writer with other people's ideas.

S&s is garbage, you should neck yourself.

Getting into PKD books. Already got Ubik, will get High Castle or Eldritch Palmer if I like it.

I thought it seemed very Conan-inspired, and I like that. Don't worry if the first draft comes out as almost a pastiche, you'll still have something to feel accomplished about, and you can always go back in and rework it at a later date to make it more original. The first story I ever wrote start to finish was essentially a thinly-veiled homage to At the Mountains of Madness set in the Congo in the 19th century. I wouldn't even consider trying to get it published now, but it was a great learning experience.

>implying aspiring authors are any longer under the thumb of gatekeepers of any kind
This is the age of Wattpad, KDP, and litrpgs sucka

If you're dumb enough to think ideas are what make authors successful, rather than skill and perseverance, your ideas are probably worthless anyway. Sorry.

Can you seriously name one time in history when an author was impoverished because someone stole his idea? Do you even know how that works? If someone uses your idea and it's successful it doesn't raze the field, it grows your fanbase. Not that you're ever going to write anything, mind.

Tad Williams first trilogy.

>madaras
>image clearly says mandras
wew lad

look more closely

Will I be too lost if I read Mona Lisa Overdrive without reading the other books in the trilogy?

>"almond brown eyes"
im gonna fucking lose it if i see this description in another book

maybe, maybe not, that's the one that actually does have callbacks of the two sequels.
But why the hell would you read the last book of a trilogy without reading the first two when they're all good.

start writing space operas instead. Fantasy is for brainlets

>describing eyes as "orbs"
>more than one word adjectives to describe physical features
>sea green eyes or any variation thereof

Posting! One week left until deadline! We'll figure out what we're reading next after the 27th.

Download link: gutenberg.org/ebooks/1059

>>describing eyes as "orbs"
this always freaks me out because I can't help but imagine huge, telescopic eyes protruding from the skull. Orbs are 3D and you are not supposed to see the whole fucking thing, no way.

Pete, look lad, your books are pretty good (Blindsight>>Echopraxia), but PLEASE HIRE A FUCKING EDITOR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
Or hire a better one.

Can somebody recommend me some funny fantasy books/series

Fantasy or high fantasy is fine.

It would be greatly appreciated

I want to get into Warhammer fantasy books. What's a good solid story to start with? I was thinking about reading the Darkblade series by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee. Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be super lore heavy. I just want to get into the world just a little bit and then if I like the story I'll get into the lore after that.

>City of stairs
>Best served cold
>Children of earth and sky
>Gloriana
Got all of them new for $20.
>cheeki breeki palets viken

Why are Russian covers also the best?

The Wizard Knight
Arts of Dark and Light

>Can you seriously name one time in history when an author was impoverished because someone stole his idea?
You should do your own research.

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

How many squats cwn you do in a minute?

> cwn
?
About 40.

>>Children of earth and sky
>>Gloriana
Sell me on these two.
I liked tigana really well.
Never touched Michael Morecock.
How gri is it? How is the magic?

Can*
Typing fast and hitting enter is a bane of mu existence.

Is squatting a national pastime of your people?

Just finished the first book, I forgot how comfy it was. I wish there was a whole book of Ogion just walking around and being wise.
Love how tight the magic system is, too. Very well thought out and crafted.

Is Mistborn worth reading?
I hear some people say that the second era is pretty good?

I dunno. Bought them today.

>S&s is garbage
What makes sword & sorcery garbage?

>S&s is garbage, you should neck yourself.

I want to bite the bullet and read one of those chink webnovels that are popular now. Assuming I was going to read only one, which should it be?

Why aren't you starving artis-..authors cashing in on the litrpg craze? This new genre is allowing people to rake in some serious dough.
Instead of writing your Conan and Pkd knockoffs which no one wants to read, why not write something where people would pay you through patreon to see?

So you buy shit without doing research?

I might actually try my hand at this. People are making some bank. And i see the autists in these generals lap it up. If I could get a devoted following who shills and memes my books for me i would be made. Would probably be invited to writing conventions.

What is this, something like SAO?

No it's Brorotica, "Thorvald's Galloping Abs" but for guys.

Are audiobooks the future?

I see a lot of book reviews in goodreads that state that the person ((((read)))) the audiobook versions.
Even no name authors have audiobooks these days.

>Brorotica
That makes it sound gay desu. Like a couple of bros doing "bro" stuff. Gay as fuck.

>yes good goy, masculine is gay!

>how dare you to buy books without reading them first?

Is this any good?

i liked supersales and daniel black specifically because they werent litrpgs.
sure theres some stats here and there but they arent actually litrpgs.
havent read wild wastes yet but i heard its more basically pure erotica.

Nah, how about you just back up your claim.

What magazines could I subscribe to

I want to read short stories by amateurs

To the user in the last thread who was looking for more like Cugel...

Haven't read it personally, but I hear Nifft the Lean by Michael Shea fits the bill. Shea acutually wrote a sequel to Eyes of the Overworld that was approved by Vance

That's what fanfiction sites are for? There's some "original stories" tags on ao3, but other than that you can just find some out there AUs. At that point, the names are the same, but it's functionally a new story.

I stayed up all night and just hammered out the first draft (Or plot outline, I guess you'd call it. I'm not sure.)

So far, this has been a blast to write, and I think it'll end up nice.

It's got sex, violence, slave-girls, mild racism, dismemberment, orgies, and seething barbarians covered in the blood of lesser men. I honestly didn't know I had it in me. Now I just gotta see it through. But for now, I'mma get some sleep.

Thank you again for your advice.

>mild racism
I'm gonna need more racism.

Pic related is the main antagonist, so...

Also, there's a scene with their queen getting bleached/colonized by Wiyte Boi The Barbarian.

Fuck, of course forgot pic.

world of cultivation

Yah. Be sure to pick up Incal, too.

It is. Do you see how women wet their panties at a chad? Faggots void their bowels the same way when they see a chad or a bear. If that isn't gay I don't know what is.

>goy
Why don't you take your soyshake to

>wears armor
>leaving leaves a huge spot so I can have easy access to her heart / lungs/ spine
>logic

The Metabarons have no time for logic.

Why are their penises in bamboo tubes and horns?

Phallus protection/projection.

>What are sff your plans for 2018?
Complete the first draft of my first novel
>How fired up are you to get started?
Pretty fired up. I'm 40k in already from 2017.

Why isn't yours?

Read through Mass Effect and play the game.
>Chyeahhh!

I'm going to cum in your mouth.

Martial World

the valentine and jemisin books are p.good

disgusting

Yes. But it fits the pic perfectly

I suppose

/sFFg/, I'm looking for a book and I need your help.
I read it roughly ten years ago. It was about a girl going to a magic school and meeting some elf guy. I think she wanted to get into his pants at some point.
He turns out to be a loon however and tries to pull some bullshit with a magical portal or well or whatever on the school grounds.
It was pretty dumb and generic.

think it was The Silver Amulet, the first book in The Torchbearer Chronicles

>>wears armor
>>leaving leaves a huge spot so I can have easy access to her heart / lungs/ spine
>>logic

Does anybody else just skip pages that include characters you don't like?
I am just trying to read Prince of Nothing, but it keeps interrupting with chapters about Esmenet, and not once in either the previous book, or this one, has there been anything fun in these chapters, every one is filled with either sex, or her thoughts about what a fucking whore she is, and it's just so fucking boring.
Why do authors add this shitty romance and characters in books where it adds nothing but thicken an already thick book?

I have, like, a shitload of Audible credits. Probably going to pick up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell. Any other recs for good shit on that site?

>Does anybody else just skip pages that include characters you don't like?
Yeah. Especially if there are character chapters. I'll also skip sex scenes in general. The real kicker is that even if I skip eight fucking chapters of Cockslap McGee 9/10 the book still works perfectly fine.

>Why do authors add this shitty romance
it's a cop out, because romance is easy to write. Oh, look, they're having sex! Romance! Instead of having to actually write an actual relationship, they just write sexual tension.

>Instead of having to actually write an actual relationship, they just write sexual tension.
This gets me so much. It's not even hard to write two characters doing something cooperatively while they're gradually coming to like each other more.