Integrals in Infinite Jest??

Just got a copy of IJ. Flicking through it I realize there's integrals in it. I know the context will explain it but wtf.

it's like really babby stuff too. I still have no idea why he put it in.

fun fact: DFW was a great student when it came to english and philosophy classes, but did horrible in math and didn't take it again because it brought down his average

source: what I remember fom the DFW biography

Two seconds of glancing at the page tells me I don't want to read the work.

At least Pynchon has a semblance of grammar, AND actually knows how mathematics works.

Well for the same reason he put entire segments of pharmacology 101. In order to appear '''''academic'''''

Just throw it away and get the pale king and his other minor stuff and then don't look back ever again

This is what Americans actually want to pass as literature

Footnote to the funniest part of the book.

tbf this is a footnote, not something in the middle of the book

He sounds like me and a lot of other liberal art majors. I took the lowest level math class I could and I regret it. The university ranked it lower than high school advanced algebra. I should have taken intro to calc

Yes but it is LITERALLY grammatically incorrect. Something most good authors try to avoid.

isn't the pale king incomplete? is it worth reading still?

This is the part where the "smart but lazy" character takes several pages to explain the fundamental theorem of calculus to the reader. Yes, literally the first day of Calc I. I think he expected his audience to be exclusively composed of humanities types or something

he wasn't smart enough for affine stretching.

not true. He didn't take a SINGLE math course in college because of that fear.

This book was too much in a bad way.

top kek cuz it's true

Pretty smart to do it if you know it is going to low your average
Maybe he wouldn't had felt so much of a fraud if he had done well in math. Maybe he would still be alive

he became an hero because he changed of antidepresant brand and the new one wasn't working

the only funny thing is that most the people in this thread have literally never read Infinite Jest

never play yourself

if only he had taken amphetamines for his depression instead of retard tier anti-depressant pills not only would he still be alive, he would also be good at math. fact.

He would have become retarded like Land

It's notes made by a high-schooler, hence the intentionally juvenile jokes. It's just how Pemulis (don't really remember, think it was him) would have written it.

wait until you see footnote 36 (or something) where he attempts (fails catastrophically) to understand Cantor's diagonalization.

also his vague, bogus mysticism numerology about structuring the book like a sierpinski gasket

amphetamines only lead to retardation in people with normal or above average baseline confidence. The whole qualitative explanation for how they improve mood (beyond being dopamine agonists) is that they increase your tendency to believe you are correct. This leads to delusions if you don't check yourself, but I wouldn't imagine that people like DFW who are baseline depressed would have trouble with being too confident in delusional beliefs.

You shouldn't be allowed to post on Veeky Forums until you've read it, you don't even know the context of this footnote.

embarrassing post

Are all the footnotes like that, then?

No, some are, some aren't. They are related to each of their particular context.

a lil calc for the brain doesn't hurt I guess

DUDE MAXWELLS DEMON
Hey Pynchon

Right. I'm just saying, I've seen some of the rest of the work and did not like what I saw either.

To be honest with you, it seems rather sophistic and devoid of any actual substance or meaning, using clever tricks to try and make it seem enjoyable.

But hey, you read the book, so you have to like it, I suppose. I'm just going off of what I saw. But hey, you read it, and I just skimmed through so I guess you're going to think your opinion is more qualified than mine???

So if someone skims through, then they know the text better than someone who has read it?

Actually yes.

Skimming gives you better retention and a more enjoyable experience. I don't understand why people even read in the first place. Actually reading things is less efficient than skimming, even if you just glance at a page you are most likely retaining a larger semblance of the plot than if you read every word. Get it?

Because if you skimmed through the pages you would just need to remember what you saw, then look at sparknotes, and boom you know what happens.

>reading

just admit you lost you pathetic pseud

Lost what? This isn't a reading contest. I'm not going to read some stupid book for no fucking reason just because some other people have read it.

It's fucking gay. I win. Go read some Pynchon. Thanks.

Mean value theorem helps you calculate average it's ez

How did he do that? I thought all majors had to take a Gen-Ed math course of some kind.

It's not devoid of substance or meaning. It has a few different philosophies which it attempts to make an argument for throughout the course of the work.

>This isn't a reading contest.
>I win

Of course not, but it's made perfectly clear through context. This particular set of endnotes (Pemulis' book explaining a game) is even interspersed with comments and corrections added by Hal. To complain that it has no "semblance of grammar" is a bit like commenting that the Benjy sections of Sound and the Fury seem to have been written by a retard. There are plenty of reasons to not like DFW, but him not knowing English isn't one of them. That's just silly.

Have you read Gravity's Rainbow? And actually got some sense out of it or why do you keep mentioning Pynchon?

Yes, Gravity's Rainbow is actually a good book, unlike Infinite Jest

I liked the f-up bit about hansel and gretel

Looks like a math book for sure kek

lunatics, those yankee bastids.

Because DFW thinks that basic integrals are "advanced mathmatics" and that he can wow his reader by teaching them something that they probably were taught their first semester at college.

Is this even correct? Wouldn't the integral be F(x) rather than f(x').

t. Mathlet and ESL languagelet

High school's rough

It's the integral mean value theorem

When it came to math, DFW was a moron. If you need more proof, look no further than his book on infinity. An absolute load of garbage.

I have never seen an apostrophe used like that in notation is this some sort of regional dialect or something?

This is why lit tards have to stay within their little dialectical bubble. They look like retards when Thu venture out

probably just wanted to show off his LATEX skills

This dude's voice reminds me of someone I absolutely hate, some nearly-50 gen x programmer who is full bluepill thought police. Disgusting desu. Was kind of curious about IJ but everyone can just burn it now.

This passage in particular. He sounds like he just got done gleaming a cube or hacking an internet.

>doesn't read

Why are you even on a lit board? Go over to Reddit or a coffee shop where you can pretend to be well read.

Lmao are we sure Andy Weir didn’t write this shit?

It's written from the perspective of a 17 year old kid, from what I recall

I didn't read Infinite Jest. I've been browsing this board for like 5 years now, I usually just shit on the threads that mention IJ because this is not the only picture I've seen that I didn't like. Whenever someone posts an excerpt of IJ, I usually dislike it.

Are you being willfully dense or do you not realize the context of this footnote?

it's used in Physics. When you have to have a mute variable and want to think about it as time you name it t', sometimes.

This is literally high school level maths. I can't believe he thought he could impress anyone with this.

Veeky Forums here. You brainlets probably think its complicated but this kind of shit you are taught at 14 in my country. Of course Amerimutts will gap at awe at "muh advance maths"

litreally every one is saying it's really basic stuff, nobody is complaining about its difficulty, which is exactly the reason everyone's asking why is even included. Get your delusional ass back to Veeky Forums. Try again.

How many stupid memewords can you put into one post? The only thing you're missing is that terrible brainlet wojak

What the fuck even is the purpose of this thread? Just read the book for fucks sake, the footnote is at like page 300 so it's not like it's at the end or something. If you don't understand integrals kys.

the apostrophe is there because it's a fucking derivative.

holy shit i didn't realize this board was THAT retarded

>Year 9 level basic maths is hard

I thank God everyday that I was not born in America.

>i thank god i was not born in america
jokes on you, wages are still super high here even though there's so many brainlets, so it's just a matter of outcompeting the tards.

Retard

>I thank sky pimp everyday

top kek

Careful you don't lose your fedora with all that tipping you're doing

Do Americans really think this impresses anyone?

He probably had something cool planned for the end of Pale King but it still works as an incomplete novel.

>character in a book in high school does high school math
>haha i did that in high school, stupid americans
the absolute STATE of our board

>dfw when comfident that my depressed outlook is absolute

what's wrong with the book on infinity?

It was a 50 year old LARPing as a high school student though.

dude ok?!

not even close

What?

You're always a bad critic of books you haven't read

He's just trying to pull a Sterne. Unfortunately he is not as clever or funny or full of life as Sterne was, even though Sterne was dying of TB.

David Foster Wallace wrote it

I know what a derivative is, dingus

>mfw Americans math
Do they even? Not in my country lmao

>Buy meme book to show off to Veeky Forums
>Ugh... it's so long...
>Do I really have to read all this?
>What if I just skim through and see if I can find anything memeworthy?
>OMG IS THAT AN INTEGRAL SYMBOL XDD
>I HAVE to show this to the cool kids at Veeky Forums
Now this is shitposting.

>But hey, you read it, and I just skimmed through so I guess you're going to think your opinion is more qualified than mine???
That's unironically true though.

Wow... it's almost like that's how fiction works??? Like he wrote a character who's in high school and thinks he's smart because he just learned the mean value theorem???