Start with the Greeks bro

>start with the Greeks bro

Other urls found in this thread:

lulu.com/shop/kurt-raaflaub-and-robert-strassler/landmark-julius-caesar-web-essays/hardcover/product-23440700.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>OP didn't get want he wanted for his birthday
sorry OP, maybe Anaximander's parents just love him more

Ironically, looking at it like a hyper-condensed version of human evolution he's not far off.

C'mon OP you didn't like your fish-fetus pods growing up? Mine was fuckin baller.

Its better than born from a woman.

A lot of ancient thought has that "kinda but really not quite" feel to it like the four humors and "Giants" (aka dinosaurs)

the
>what if everything's made of atoms
thing was pretty bang on for a while last century too

Checkmate !

The presocratics had really interesting theories, the First Philosophers is a good book

>growing from mens pee inside a women stomach
How is this any better?

I like the idea of a whole bunch of monsters suddenly appearing and then just dying because they can't breathe or whatever

Holy... Darwin's full of shit

This is what I think is really cool about Greek philosophy. If you just read the conclusions of their arguments (about nature especially), they can seem kind of ridiculous. But if you actually follow the arguments and take it in the context of the time, it's hard to fault them for reaching those conclusions.
Starting with the Greeks is legit a meme, it's a lot easier and helpful for your understanding to read more recent thinkers and then go back to the Greeks

How is it on the Sophists? I've never read a good historical analysis of the sophists

Not really, that view is that there were already-formed human foetuses inside fish. There's no mention of adaptation or even ancestry.

An initial population of diverse characteristics getting trimmed down by nature?
That's pretty much how Darwin understood the origin of species

>Lysidike took her ability to read his mind as a matter of course, but his converse power was still unsettling. Time was only Anaximander ever gleaned what she thought with any proficiency; but he deduced her nature from what his oily smarts told him was the nature of a person, and only sardonically hinted at his mastery. Tlexictli didn’t even have to puzzle to catch her straight away, so the privacy she took for a metaphysical given in her youth broke up, and she felt her disagreements with her husband as dumb sensory pressures, like heat or cold. Their cross-purposes weren’t any easier for their transparency, but there was nothing to worry over – they’d conducted business together before becoming sentimental.

good one

that's fucking sick bro. an ancient Greek author using belly-of-the-beast metaphor, even with the ichthyic Jonah-whale imagery. how great is it that i'm peeping into the eternal human subconscious. pretty great i say.

>hurr Durr a guy living 2000 years before Darwin didn't get evolutionary thought down to a tee whatta retard

The Greeks were pretty far advanced for their times. They understood what caused tsunamis too.

nietzsche and heidegger will defend this

BEING, BRO, BEING!

>if I lived in that time and no one told me about evolution I would come up with something better than this
Appreciate it for what it is, an early attempt to explain the workings of nature in a way that doesn't involve godly intervenience

Empedocles, however, did have a theory that for its time was quite the anticipation of evolution

>lucretius
>greek

>>start with the Greeks bro

You can pretty much skip everyone up to Descartes. Then you read some context about what Descartes rejected and read his work.

Now you are pretty much set to read anything after Descartes. Of course, fill up your knowledge about Greeks as you pass along philosophers as some do work with them.

Oh and if you are not 170 IQ or University Student secondary sources are going to be extremely good for you.

wat bok

Thucydides' Peloponnesian Wars

i mean what edition
i do not have such fancy thigns in my bok

Oh, Landmark Edition. They are the best, even though the translations of Thucydides and Herodotus are at times a bit artless.

Thank you user. I only have a very old Finnish edition with only the text and nothing so fancy in it.

How to get that web essays book?

I had it made through lulu - lulu.com/shop/kurt-raaflaub-and-robert-strassler/landmark-julius-caesar-web-essays/hardcover/product-23440700.html

Be warned that it has the same issues as the pdf that they provided - i.e. on a few pages there are lines printed over eachother, and there's one low-resolution page as well.

Still, nicer having it printed and bound than reading off a screen.

Yep, both Satanism and evolution and pagan cults are one in the same