ASOIAF

I know literally nothing about it. Worth a read?

i smell the torched flesh of an ass.
perhaps a posterior has been injured?

Yep, totally. First three books are good entertainment.

Read ''The Tales of Dunk and Egg'' and ''Hedge Knight'' first, to see if you can enjoy that.
The Tales of Dunk and Egg are superior to gayme thornes

If you don't value your time all that much, sure, there are some compelling pieces spread around but you need to read through a lot of shit to get to them. Well, you do apparently use Veeky Forums so I guess you are already used to that.

A lot of the people here despise them, not sure if it is just because they are fantasy novels or if they just generally don't like the books. They are time consuming at about 1k pages each and he is going to force his entire imaginary world down your throat. I enjoy them because I have the time to splurge on 5 fantasy books. I dont like always having to remember all of the characters but since the story can be wild and gruesome it does help keep an interest in the characters and story.

No. Not unless the fat fuck finishes it, which he wont.
You'd just be wasting your time.

Low brow Medieval soap
Lots of marching akin to DBZ with its lengtht charging up scenes

No, I read them in High School, they are trash books. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are trash genres, except for Philip K. Dick. They are 1000+ page trash, just read a classic ifnyou've got that much time.

> I read them in High School
like two years ago?

you shouldnt they are good but yull have to wait for the last two books, and they are probably not comming

spare your time, watch a TV adaptation if you want... or read Tolkien, Martin's prose is preposterous.

this

First three are good. Four and Five hit a brick wall in terms of pacing, the sixth book is nowhere to be seen, and it's increasingly unlikely the seventh book will ever been finished.

It's got an intricate plot so you read it if you like that kind of thing.

Have you read the Greeks first?

Be careful not to mistake a slow plot for suspense. I was in high school when I read this, and I would read chapter after chapter because I was excited to see what happens next, but literally nothing happens

on one hand, they are enjoyable

but its also entirely too long and is a giant waste of time.

The third one is one of my all time favorite novels. The first 3 books are excellent, IMO. The 4th and 5th books get a bit iffy sometimes, especially the 5th one.

Sometimes? The plot didn't advance at all during the 4th and 5th books

If you have the time, yes. They range from great to good, it's just that /lit hates anything that gets popular.

X2

No. The series is incredibly tedious. Even at its best it is in desperate need of an editor, and worse the most recent tw9 books are a major drip in quality.

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is a good read, his other books not so much

It's the only good series of fantasy I've read. The rest are retarded magic flying through dimensions shit.

Does anyone know any good historical fantasy or fiction that's kinda like game of thrones?

The audio books are pretty great. The story is pretty engrossing and you will want to know how it turns out. It's miles ahead of the show.

However, I would be shocked if we GRRM ever releases another book, much less two. I honestly don't even think he has written anything besides the chapters he has released for Winds of Winter.

>War and Peace
>Three Kingdoms: A Historical Novel
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes (it's better to just watch the anime imho)
This. Martin is getting up there in age that he will probably die before he finishes the series. That fatass also has so much fuck you money that he has almost no incentive to finish it.

War of the roses fanfiction. I'm going to give you some advice. Get into mythology and history instead of reading fantasy.

this. he needs to get the plot moving.

Isn't that a prequel?

It's set a century or so before the main series and contains characters who are kind of important but it doesn't have any direct connections beyond setting. Its a series of mostly self contained adventures involving a hedge knight and his squire (who is one of the Kings children and eventually gets crowned as Aegon the unlikely)