Who else shit memory here?

>read all those non-fiction books
>try hard to retain some of the information
>can barely care to remember few weeks after

Other urls found in this thread:

winwenger.com/imstream.htm
community.tulpa.info/thread-visualization-linkzelda-s-image-streaming-guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

leave me alone pls, tell me how to get you to leave me alone.

inb4 muh zyprexia

What

Re-read and make notes about your reading. Just moving your eyes across some pages isn't going to give you the results you obviously want.

It would help but eventually you realize books aren't just textbooks for studying and something will stick and something won't as you read them. Even when you study you quickly forget the information if it stops being relevent for you past a period of time.

stop taking SSRIs if you can

does ginko or any shit actually help with this?

>Pick up a book.
>Open page.
>Read half way through.
>Fall into a microsleep where I dream my own words
>or fall into real sleep and wake up two hours later
>OK I can finally read as we got OVER THAT SHIT that happens EVERY FUCKING TIME I READ
>Start to read.
>Manage to read 1 page.
>Check Veeky Forums for 30 minutes.
>Read 3 more pages.
>Close the book.
>Start smashing F5 in the threads I'm in

I FUCKIG HATE BEING A BRAAPLET WHO CANT READ I

Highlight, take notes, write your ideas after each chapter on a separate piece of paper, read slowly so you can mull things over, etc. I know that ultimately if you have poor memory this will only slightly assuage things, but still, it'll help.

>take notes
Yeah, this would work *supposing* I had mental faculties and IQ high enough to take *notes* meaning I understood what's important already and knew how to visualize that into paper

try summarizing each section after reading it, whether it be a whole chapter, 10pages, etc.

>do English degree
>So user what did you learn from the books you read in university?
>Uhhhhh

That's really stupid advice

I can never respond to these questions.
The downsides of being a complete fucking double digit IQ moron

Same here OP. I barely remember anything just a few months after I finish reading. Makes the whole experience frustating when I try and discuss the book afterwards and I can barely put anything together.

THAT IS WHEN YOU REREAD IT DUMMY

I can't remember the fiction books either, OP, let alone the non-fiction. You aren't alone.

If you're studying for an exam or something, flashcards can and do work. A single-word, name, or image prompt on one side, greater explanation or relevant information that may come up in the exam on the back. You look at the front of the card, have to come up with rough date/historical and political relevance/a biographical fact about the event or person the card is prompting you for. If you can't do all three, you check the back of the card. Move on to next card. Shuffle your deck of flash cards after each session so they don't become predictable in order, and go through them twice a day for a minimum of two weeks prior to the exam you've made them for.

Then forget. It no longer has relevance to you so you don't need to hold on to that information. Let anything that you aren't going to need go.

Are you interests kind of disparate or are you reading similar things? I find it easier to retain what I've read if I read books on similar subjects in a sequence rather than jumping from topic to topic. It better allows you to contextualize the information and consciously apply it across multiple texts.

If you read them on ebook form then it's no wonder. Reading the physical thing helps with memory and retention.

lol fuck no. i recall every book i read off e-book better than i recall what i read physically in the past 12 months.

as always the contrarian fag appears

I gave up on true memory a long time ago.

Mine is a world of abstraction, mnemonics, systems, muscle memory, and reflexes.
I don't care about remembering anything except where to find information.

That's just my experience retard, not being contrarian.

i dont remember anything, maybe i should just kms

Here's a full guide:
- Look for headings
- Read the smallest headings
- Cover Book
- summarize in your head
- Reread, if your summary is wrong, go back three steps, else, now write it in your notes

Then, after your reading session, take the most important parts from your notes and use spaced repetition flashcards (look it up).
t. brainlet who has to force his brain to memorize stuff

Take notes of what you read and read the notes later to recall what you read.

yup, rereading def helps consolidate the info, and you learn shit you missed the first time. I'm doing this right now.

what the fuck are you talking about. It's literally words on a page in either case.

OMG I FLIPPED A PAGE INSTEAD OF PRESSING A BUTTON OMG HUGE DIFFERENCE

LOL ty for making me laugh

The mode in which information on a screen is presented differs between print and digital. When you read an ebook you are the screen. Not the case with print.

What now? Is it possible to train you brain to not require all this, essentially improving your memory?
Can I train myself to have photographic memory?

>When you read an ebook you are the screen. Not the case with print.
Please elucidate.

winwenger.com/imstream.htm
community.tulpa.info/thread-visualization-linkzelda-s-image-streaming-guide
Try these. It's not like you're gonna lose anything if you set aside fifteen minutes a day to do the exercises in the links. Try them for a month and see how it goes.

My grandfather has severe alzheimer's and can't remember a single thing from a book he's read, even if he's just finished reading it. But he reads anyway, because he loves the experience of reading and the sense of discovery that comes with it. Stop focusing on the destination, and enjoy the journey.

>deebly_goncerned.jpg

>ex compliments your sweater when you see her
>remember that you were wearing it when she broke up with you
>remember the exact conversation
>remember the exact date you started dating
>remember the exact conversation and date of your first kiss with her
>remember the exact conversation and date of your first kiss ever nine years ago
>remember her saying you're dogshit at kissing
>remember your mom yelling at you for kissing her on the lips when you're five years old
>remember the birthdays of everybody in your entire elementary and middle school classes
>remember the exact exchange of every time you've ever hurt anybody you care about
>immediately recall most events on command when they have no importance at all
Hook me up with that shit memory, my man

my long term memory is fine, but my short term memory is totally fucked. I almost never remember where my keys are or where anything else is for that matter.

Read aloud, nigga. Work on reading aloud faster over time if you can provided it doesn't distract you.
3 months you will have different mental habits and can read aloud less.

Mfw people dont read to learn new prose

Shame on all of you.

I feel you my dude.
Fuuuuck

Along with what said (and I didn't consider that other people might not do this stuff as they read) you kind of need to practice the note-taking and summarization do that your brain trains itself to do it without the dumb manual effort. It's possible to train without doing that but it's inefficient and you will have a harder time targeting the places you fuck up.

My memory is shit when I'm not interested in the topic. Such as in school or at work.

I do remember with vivid detail all the shitty trivia I've read online at 5 AM when I was eleven years old.

I particularly hate people thinking I'm obsessed with them as a result of this. I've had girls accuse me of keeping journals about them because of my remembering things they'd said about themselves. I'm not obsessed with you, you dumbass--you told me this to my face four months ago.

and rereading takes less time, that is, if one is scared about spending time on something one read already..

Anyone have this?

>can't remember my own phone number, constantly forgetting things and seem clinically retarded organizationally
>never forget anything interesting that I read: if it comes up in conversation, I'll be able to speak on it even if it was years back, sometimes early in my childhood

Am I alone? My memory freaks me out a little sometimes, I fully believed that I had broken my arm as a child for years despite it never happening. I have the clearest memory of the X-Ray though.

I was tested to have "extraordinary" visual memory at 14. (Had to memorize a bunch of lines, dots, curves in their right position, after 1 min of looking at it. Got it 100% right the day after, which was more accurate than the first 2 renderings of the first day.)
I guess it's still true, just that if all your days are the same they faze into each-other, I have no idea where the last couple years went. My teenage years are so vivid, feels like they just happened months ago.
>Every night a "new" memory, where I did something stupid/awkward, smacks my senses. I've started to physically cringe; might become chronic. Self-induced neuroticism.

You also don't know what or how you remember. Almost feels divine how knowledge seemingly just "dawn" on you about some random shit people ask you.

>be me
>can't remember anything i read
>make post about it on Veeky Forums
>some guy tells me to stop taking ssri's
>listen to him
>suicidal depression comes back during withdrawal
>it gets so bad that i finally kill myself
>never forget anything i read ever again

Well some people have better memory than others.

I know for myself, I can literally remember exactly where on a page the sentence is that I'm looking for, but sometimes I cannot remember exactly the chapter. I don't even use post-it tabs, I just flip through books to the part of the book I remember reading and reference it. I've done that multiple times on here, or elsewhere.

I UCKING MANAGED TO READ ONLY 2 PAGES TODAY BEFORE I CAUGHT UP IN F5'ING Veeky Forums

FUCKING KILL ME GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL ME TODAY FUCK YOU

I have the urge too to just browse Veeky Forums but its incredible how you only manage to read 2 pages until you cant hold it anymore

i have the exact same experience, especially in terms of cringing.

>no real episodic memories of my childhood pet who'd been with me for 13 years
>no real episodic memories of my late grandmother who I loved dearly
>no real memories of any of my relatives, alive or dead
I feel like I'm living in actual hell.

im fucking stupid faggot that's why i wish i could just kys but im too pussy to kys, life is shit but why do i keep on f5'ing Veeky Forums i dont know why, mentally ill social hermit who deserves a bullet to the brain

One of the reason I like paper books is because I remember the location of information on the pages. I don't have this when I read on my Kobo. I believe I have a better retention from paper books because of that.

Sentimentalism is for women only. Feel blessed you aren't a pussy who pathologically thinks about the past.

Wait until you are at least 18 before you have any opinions on life so you are mature enough to think about something without sperging out.

I'm 31. I hate myself and life so there's not much to expect. Gotta read up on my Cioran or other encouraging literature.

exercise, actually

uh thats exactly how memory works you dip. Did you want to be good will hunting human scanner tier?

Yes.

How about you start exercising. Go lift. Get a hobby. Eat clean foods. Cognitive health is just a reflection of your physical health. Turn off all electronic devices for at least an hour a day. Go to bed at sunset and rise with the sun.

I deadlift 240kg on a good day.

I live above the artic circle, there was less than 11 minutes of sunlight in the last 60 days so I can't really, wake up and sleep with sun

>I deadlift 240kg on a good day.
Then what's the problem? Take your vitamin D and EPA pills.

Maybe Mortimer Adler's - How to read a book, would be a good help?

>Who else shit memory here?

lel

There’s a spectrum like with everything else. Some people have great memory but not necessarily Good Will tier. Then there’s us at the bottom of the barrel with absolute shit memory. Any worse and we step into disorder territory. We just want better, that is all.

I've been supposed to read for 2 hours and I keep browsing Veeky Forums.

God how I wish I could apply to be banned.

I thought living above the artic meant you literally live in constant sunlight?

in the summer.
it's winter.

t. brainlet

/r/nosurf my dude

i only allow myself to browse Veeky Forums occasionally, the board is slow enough that i can't get lost in here for multiple hours every day and even if i did i would have probably learned more than in my 1000 hours of cs go or 3000 hours of league (approximately)

stop taking drugs pal

>read murder mystery
>be entertained
>come back to it after a few years
>completely forgotten
>be entertained again

The only benefit of my shitty memory

There's not so many good mystery books too so once you've read most of them, that's pretty much it since almost all the decent authors are dead

>pick up any philosophy book
>don't understand anything of what I read

>pick up a secondary source
>understand everything

why the fuck should I even bother original source

I have really good memory when it comes to books. Of course I won't remember everything years later, but I retain it pretty well, especially if it's worth remembering.

>hurr, I would rather get my facts from someone else who read the book rather than myself
Reading Being and Nothingness was one of the most enlightening experiences I've ever had. I didn't have a philosophy background when I read it, but nothing that an internet connection to google the referenced terms couldn't fix.

No I literally don't fucking understand those books i'm just a brainlet

How many of you have actually done fighting sports to be complaining about your memory?

tfw averaging 30 hours of sleep a night in high school fried my brain and now I can't remember shit anymore

I was just born retarded and sent to shit public school so here I am 31 years old and I can only count multiples, + & -

>if
>you
>can

when you read from a physical book you create a 'cognitive mapping' of the text which aids in recollection. ebooks on the other hand are spatially static and as such lack this dimension

Write paragraph abstracts for every chapter and keep them in a notebook. Tedious but it works.

I actually competed in amateur boxing for about three years
It's more about ocular damage desu, and ear, I burst eardrums on multiple occasions, permanently tore my bicep, fucked my rip and I don't think they can even test for CTE while you're alive, so I stopped. I'd say it was worth it though, good for a resentful young male low in the sociosexual standings and needing compensation

Oops, Veeky Forums is acting odd today

Fucking stop dude you don't know how much this shit hurts my schizophrenic mind

>>don't understand anything of what I read
>>pick up a secondary source
>>understand everything
>why the fuck should I even bother original source
Go back to the original *after* the secondary source.

This.

qui scribit, bis legit

Method of loci,
Spaced repetition(new to this) could someone give me a rundown of your anki workflow?