Post your used book notes finds

Post your used book notes finds

I would seriously send that book back.

I recently bought a Star Wars book and some twat wrote "I love lightsabers" in the front in pencil. I had to erase it.

my copy of the Etz Hayim Torah was originally a gift for some guy named Rory's Bar Mitzvah
I feel immense guilt reading it because I feel like it was never supposed to belong to me
fuck you Rory

>buying a used book
>mad that it has signs of being used
Are you a moron?

Funnily enough, I don't expect somebody to write in the fucking book, being that books are for reading, not writing in.

I love A Confederacy of Dunces but Jesus Christ I wanted to shoot myself whenever we went over it in my Southern Lit class. All the college aged girls in the class thought it was too disgusting to make sense while all the old ass parents who are coming back for a new degree wouldn't shut up about how "you'll meet this people! (Character) is just like a guy I knew from my days in the military." But anyways, the notes in my copy of the Odyssey were clearly made by a middle school kid who didn't know anything about mythology beyond Percy Jackson. They'd write down the characters in each chapter and they usually had a question mark attached to them.

>books are for reading, not writing in

You don't have any friends, right?

> I recently bought a Star Wars book

pleb detected

1/3

>tfw can't resell the book I just finished

Elements of Pure Economics by Leon Walras

There are no notes except some highlights in the beginning of the book and a note on the back. This is what the note says

"Point of human degradation..........216"

So I flip to 216 expecting some sociological treatise on morality, and it's just Walras basically saying that the consideration of human moral concerns should not be considered when considering labor services as part of capital.

Yes, considering labor services as part of capital necessitates an even colder, darker understanding of statistical economics than even Adam Smith or Ricardo, but to be honest with you, I don't really understand why this is degrading to humans, unless they are worried that this scientific model that describes how the economy functions might somehow influence your personal moral judgments... i.e. a non-sequitur.

There were all sorts of fun notes in my copy of Euclid's Elements. But I have since gotten a better copy.

You give people too much credit, there are adults out there who don't know anything about greek mythology past Hercules and Zeus.

If that user is the guy who posted the actual pictures of the annotations on his Odyssey a few weeks ago, it would be more surprising if they were written by an adult than a middle schooler.

I've found some old pictures and a torn out encyclopedia article about Descartes.

What annotations?

How about reading the comment chain before asking questions that are answered inside of it?

I just came back to Veeky Forums after a while so that wasn't me. I'll look over the notes once I get home and see if they're worth uploading

Huh, the guy who posted pictures of his Odyssey, if I'm not mistaken, one of the notes the person wrote actually says something like, "Like from Percy Jackson". So I just assumed your phrasing was deliberate based on that.

Does anyone know what it says?
It's from Germany, interestingly dated (as you can see) November 1918.

>Why of course I order used books online from a site that does not provide a description of its condition
It's like you were asking for it.

It seems to say "An B(something)"

Seems to be a dedication to someone whose name starts with a B, but I can't really make it out

I would seriously send that book back.

I recently bought a Star Wars book and some twat wrote "I love lightsabers" in the front in pencil. I had to erase it.

I'm not really seeing the An, though that would make sense.
My first thought was also B, but the next letter seems to be either a c or a n, but neither "An Bc___" nor "An Bn___" make any sense. I was thinking it could be a capital Kurrent S connecting to... something that looks like a reverse latin c? I really can't make sense of it.

I remember "this is from Percy Jackson", which pisses me off if it suggests they thought Homer plagerized some modern children's novel

from Ripley's Believe It or Not: Wonder Book of Strange Facts, 1957

In my copy of Steaming to Bamboola by Christopher Buckley. Inscribed to his then girlfriend (he was married at the time).

I've had so many.
1. pic of a pretty woman in a straw hat, no name, just the little wallet-sized square.
2. various notes in margins from, what I think, English students.
3. a post card used as a bookmark, someone must've gifted the book.
4. brochure from a Korean Electronics Conference held in 2006
5. Signed copy of a novel from an author who I discovered because she picked my short story for a contest.

are you that guy who always posts links to his amazon store
if you're not him, what was the story

if only that were true for reagan and dubya

S-shut up. I write down family trees (in a different NOTEbook however) since so many references to characters are made by reference of their families, and it's hard to remember it especially starting out.

>mfw niggas would memorize this shit and repeat it and then other people would remember it and repeat it without writing it down at all
the iliad and the odyssey is fake news

i have a copy of 'the plague' by albert camus where the previous owner has marked a line from one of the characters that goes something like this(talking about his divorce with his wife):

> While we loved each other we didn't need words to make ourselves understood. But people don't love forever.
> A time came when I should have found the words to keep her with me, only I couldn't."

i find the last part huntingly beautiful

):

secret police got gud

Not that guy.

I won a national award for a short story under 2000 words, judged by Jane Urquhart. Found her novel, Changing Heaven, with a personalized signing in the front cover to some couple... I wonder what happened to them--if they imploded, and the painful memory of getting one of their favourite writers to inscribe a message for them in a book was too much, and the one who had it donated it... or maybe it was a death. You never know.

A nice little synchronicity that made me feel like I was at least going down the right path.

You, user, live in a bubble of your own creation. You must be so lonely.

Wow. The same thing happened to me with the exact same book. Funny thing is that it was on the very last pages of it and I didn't notice the scratches there till I finished the book. It was a love poem, nothing to do with Toole's work itself, but when I discovered the thing I couldn't even think of the book I'd just read for a while. I was 15 that time and I remmember spending the whole night just thinking about whoever wrote that.
I would look for the copy and post pictures if the poem wasn't in Portuguese.

From a copy of the wasteland

Julie-
Now you don't have to go off to college not knowing who T.S.Elliot is
Merry Christmas 1979,
Dad

>tfw no patrician literally parents

Someone describing Veeky Forums in my copy of Notes from Underground

I can’t think of a book that someone hasn’t written in, haha

user is very cute

Blue is me, black is the girl who had it before me. At least the writing looks like a girl's writing.

Here's a note from my copy I mentioned here

I wish they'd at least have good handwriting when they did this, but I can't complain, its not hurting anyone.

"Reading without annotating is like walking without moving your arms" - LIL B

annotate my bitch based god

Had a used textbook for university that was vaguely describing something that hinted at a Jesus figure or was vaguely in reference to Jesus - I don't remember exactly what it was. On the page right below that passage someone had written in all caps in highlighter "JESUS" in what I guess was some sort of epiphany about something very obvious.

>no there isn't

>Merry Christmas, Dad

what kind of disgusting piece of shit sells or gives away a book with a dedication note from their parents?

10/10

>Elizabeth, May you find much pleasure and inspiration herein, and the occasion for many more discussions of "what human goodness is and how the virtuous should live" between yourself and others, but also between us. -As always, Steve
>Sunday, May 25, 1986

Plato's complete works. I doubt the bitch read a single dialogue.

Those good Ezra Pound Cantos

I understand what you're saying, but it's a comment on the impersonality of the spirt of calculabillity. Simmel wrote a massive book on this very subject, the highlight of which is a solemn denunciation of prostitution, which is the essence of the matter, isn't?

>that writing
my god it's so beautiful

Fathers poetry book from when he was a schoolboy.
Every page is like this.

What a crazy lad he was!

Nothing too exciting.

I like that it looks like you're talking to each other

maybe she died? or it was given away by mistake?

notes in used books always touch me, they're like snippets of people's lives that fall into your lap incidentally, a quick flash of another's existence that always brings back the realisation that we are all so similar, even if we don't like to admit it

could be Sütterlin but the dating system (month in Roman numerals first, then day in Arabic numerals) isn't German

>underlines literally the last sentence in the book
What did they mean when they did this?

Are you sure? I've seen such dating on a number of old German documents.

>books are for reading, not writing in
t. only reads worthless books

They were sad it was over

My favourite was on the front of a Thus Spake Zarathustra book i borrowed from a uni library. On the opening page next to the title it said 'Knock em dead fred'

Mad lad wrote his essay on the dedication pages.