Is it racist?

Is it racist?

Who cares?

I remember there being loads of noble savage stuff in there, but that's hardly racist. I would consider it to be pretty anti-racist considering that the point of the novel is that away from the eyes of civilisation man is still an animal. No better way to portray this than isolated African tribes.

There's one hubahuba nutcase from Africa arguing that it is, but it's completely the opposite.

Everything is racist. Literally everything.

The narrotator is, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the book is

The only people who think Heart Of Darkness is racist haven't read it. I've yet to see a single person who thinks it's racist and also knows that the title doesn't refer to Africa.

I think the trouble some people have with it is precisely that Conrad implies that Africa is away from the eyes of civilization. But it's not really strange that a european in that time would think so.

it's written by a Polack
we don't have blackmen here in our country
we know them from TV and MTV
so no, it's not racist

>we don't have blackmen here in our country
I've been to poland and i can confirm that this isn't true

Racism doesn’t exist.

humans don’t exist

Yeah, Conrad despises Belgians...

why are the French portrayed as being good to the Africans? I think they were equally awful as the others (although we were probably the worst - t.Belgian)

I took it to mean they were fucking them, not necessarily being nice

oh yeah you're right, somehow i didn't even see it was a woman

A little but He counterbalances the racist stuff to a degree if that makes sense.

hearty kek

classic french degenerates

this

Nah, *nglos really are that heartless

the book isn't even about niggers but afr*cans have to make everything about themselves

According to my ap lit class yes.

They are just tourists/foreign students
I live here so i know better

We cannot be postcolonial/racist/apartheid etc in the western sense because of our history

Marlow is in parts, but the book isn't. It's pretty anti racist. According to my Year 12 lit class, it was. I hated high school.

Third.

He outright states that England was just like the Congo in the ages before the Romans. He even shows sympathy towards the natives which is unusual for an 18th century British man.