Languages Thread

I've been learning french for a year and a half (by myself). Right now I'm capable of reading almost anything, but I still have trouble with spoken french.
I'm also very interested in learning german. But that would mean losing my focus on french almost entirely for a long time.
Should I spend another year studying to become fluent in french or should I drop it and learn german?

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French
youtube.com/channel/UC0tm3UftebsqPocGzwL2LOg/videos?disable_polymer=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't learn G****n. It's an ugly pig language. French is very pretty and you should persist in studying it.

Totally agree. Despite the fact german has very good corpora of literature, the language itself is just too chaotic and not very harmonious. I would recommend to keep on with French. If you want to learn another European language, study italian as it is extreamly harmonious, has good rhythm and is easy to rhyme

Fuck off faggot.

Keep studying French and learn German, its a patrician combo

German can be very poetic, just read Goethe. There's more than harmony, German is not "chaotic" either. There are complex rules of grammar, and the way they are applied is not chaotic in a random sort of way since to my unformed knowledge there are few exceptions to the rules.

What are your study habits like? Do you study from a particular book or some other way?

Learn French then learn German

Learn Italian instead. You won't lose your focus on French because they're very similar

Become fluent or near fluent in French, then learn Adolf's tongue.

>That pic
Ahhhhh nofap day 1 not gonna make it

are you 11 yr old girls? i cant believe an adult male would say something like this

nice feets

In my personal experience, if you are doing it correctly starting German wont stop your progress in French. I´m doing this exact same thing, and I also have done it before, starting with French as I was still learning English. I feel languages need time to "rest" and be incorporated to your mental processes (you need to start thinking in them) so the time you study is as much important as the time you allow it to rest-> not only the time you spend in fornt of the book counts. Doing 15 minutes of duolingo in german a day will have better effort/payoff ratio, in other words, be more efficient, than 1h french a day, although you would still advance faster in french.

Why do people lie? I moved to an english speaking country when I was a teen, and it certainly took way longer than 6 months to be able to 'read anything'. And it was english, not french. French litterature is about 10 times as hard as english lit. Anyways, keep learning french then move on to german.

>the language itself is just too chaotic and not very harmonious.

You don't speak German.

>French litterature is about 10 times as hard as english lit

No it's not, Jean-Pierre.

If you are a proficient reader I would continue reading French lit to keep it up, while studying another language (German).

Currently learning German myself. Gave up on French a while ago, but now having studied German for a bit I can say my approach was wrong. Eventually I'll tackle it again.

Lol. Quit posting, monolingual.

Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Béarla cliste.

>Why do people lie? I moved to an english speaking country when I was a teen, and it certainly took way longer than 6 months to be able to 'read anything'

It's perfectly possible to learn a foreign language and attain fluency in less than six months. However, the speed and the effort required depend on the native tongue of the learner. Anyone who natively speaks a Romance Language will be capable of reading any text in French without a dictionary with less than a year of study, although he might struggle in other aspects such as speaking and oral comprehension if he doesn't practice it in a school for example. On the other hand, it would take longer for a Germanic speaker to learn French because his native language is completely different. Once you know a Romance language, you can easily learn to speak and read fluently Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian in less than a year, with little to no effort. Learning one of these languages is great because you are automatically studying the other due to their shared roots.

>not learning the shared root first

Best sources to learn a little french?

What about Romanian?

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French

Unless you're planning to marry a gypsy, there's no point in learning romanian.

the page is blank for me

France

>Speaking anything other than English
Fuck off

>Falar algo que não a Língua de Camões
Pó caralho

You won't become fluent in a language by "studying" it. You have to go out and speak it. As long as possible and as purely as possible. Go somewhere where people speak only french all the time and live there for a year and then you will be fluent

alright well im not doing that so fuck this gay ass french shit i only wanted baudleraire anyway

This is true for spoken language, but the best way to get better at reading is to...read.

Get off my board

Ultimately it depends on how much time you are willing and able to devote to each language. Personally before I pick up a new language I prefer to get to the point where I can learn the first language by passive study (so around C1). That way I can focus on grinding the grammar of the second language while I continue to improve the first just by reanding and consuming media.

>the language itself is just too chaotic and not very harmonious
You don't speak German, fuck off.

wow thanks reddit

Tá ceart agat

You can read well but have trouble speaking, or vice versa. You can easily gain reading fluency without speaking at all.

What about writing? I wouldn't consider someone fluent if they only have passive knowledge of the lamguage

I’m learning Irish right now, but I’m still at an extremely basic level. What strategies/resources have you used so far, if you don’t mind sharing? Also, do you have any Irish reading recommendations?

>the language itself is just too chaotic and not very harmonious
The opposite is the case. I'm convinced that half of why Germans are so autistic is rooted in their grammar.

You learned the simple past conjugations of all of the verbs?

Go to the subreddit section for learning Irish, there's a source there for ulster Irish that I used, it's like from the harvard class or something, it's pretty good, though it expects you to be very familiar with language terminology.

Also, you should really try to get into some TG4 shows, as they're one of the best and indeed only places to see people speaking Irish. There are two radio stations in Irish as well if you use some international radio website.it's important to get pronunciation right with Irish.

I want to become fluent in latin, irish, german, swedish and spanish. how do I do it bros?

The easiest will be to start with whichever interests you most, since you will be motivated to learn. However, the most practical would be to start with latin since it would help quite a bit with all the other ones.

I spent 8 years studying French in school, but then I hardly used it and forgot most of it. It was a massive waste of time, unless I happen to end up living in Montreal. I also took 2 classes on Japanese. I don't remember why, except that I thought it would be easy for a Korean-speaker. I have no interest in Japanese culture, and I don't forsee myself ever needing to speak Japanese. The idea of learning a new language is attractive and exciting, but it's neither practical nor economical when there are better uses of my time. I think people are too easily enticed into investing time on learning languages that they won't speak. They should be more conservative and practical.

*foresee

don't drop French. Just start learning German and occasionally work on your French to keep it honed.

Sublime feet game

Veeky Forums is that way

Anyone studying sanskrit? Know a good source of vocab? Already have some grammar books (egenes and muller) but its useless without actual words to read

Philosophical Question: Is this the best Emma Stone has ever looked? I believe that yes, this is the best Emma Stone has ever looked.

I await your response.

learn lojban

“How many Lojbanists does it take to change a broken light-bulb?” goes the old Lojban joke. “Two: one to decide what to change it into and one to decide what kind of bulb emits broken light.”

The further I waded into Lojban, the more everything I heard seemed to be filtered through the sensibilities of a bratty, literal-minded eight year old– “You love birthday cake? Well, why don’t you marry it?” “Can you use the bathroom? I don’t know, can you?” – with the difference being that while an eight-year-old knows what you really mean, my lapses in understanding were genuine. One day during my weeklong immersion in the Lojban grammar, I was watching an Elmo video with my son when a friendly puppet character popped up to ask, “what are two numbers that come after 6?” I had no idea what this puppet was getting at. “What the hell does she mean?” I wondered. “There are an infinite number of numbers that come after the number six.” I honestly did not know what the answer was supposed to be until the video told me (it’s 7 and 8, by the way).

Was this some kind of Whorfian affect? Well, no. It was more like a Freudian effect–like when you read a little Freud and suddenly everything starts to look like a penis. If someone keeps calling your attention to hidden meanings, you may start to see them.

No that's probably in La La Land, because the goose makes everyone look better

Check out Memrise. They have premade Flashcards decks for tons of languages. I’m sure they have Sanskrit ones as well. Good luck!

it's because it's a photoshopped picture, designed to make you feel this way

reminder that there are french sluts reading classical books in french

youtube.com/channel/UC0tm3UftebsqPocGzwL2LOg/videos?disable_polymer=1

>German
>chaotic

I like the way you spout BS. It's very persuasive and really hides the fact you don't know wtf you're talking about.

>I think people are too easily enticed into investing time on learning languages that they won't speak

What about learning languages you'll read in? Or listen to?

>those shoulders

it's a man

Has anyone ever used LingQ? A website developed by a polygot. Curious before paying

Become fluent in French and then learn German. Learning a third language is easier than learning a second, so you'd just be starting over.

>Don't learn G****n. It's an ugly pig language.
This is Jew propaganda. Very few that actually speak the language would agree with you. WW2 is over. You can relax and taper off of the propaganda any decade, now.

Every mid-level English speaking German reader needs Karl Schmidt's Easy ways to Increase Your German Vocabulary. His usage of cognates in his methodology helped me immensely. The focus is English/German so it may not help people without a solid grasp of English.

bunp

that's amazing
it's like intellectual erotica

brainlet learning spanish here

I'm using Learning With Texts () which is a free ripoff of Lingq.

Romanian retains certain grammatical elements of Latin that make it somewhat more difficult than the other Romance languages and it's 25% (or so) Slavic vocabulary means there are fewer cognates with the Western Romance languages. If you have the opportunity to learn it is worth it for Eminescu, Barbu, Arghezi, Gyr, Macedonski, Blaga, Cosbuc, Cartarescu, Slavici and others.

fugg, Florie reading Celine is giving me a huge erection

WHERE THE HECK IS PART 10 IT ONLY SHOWS PART 9 11 AND 12 EVEN THOUGH IT'S SORTED BY DATE REEEEEEEEEEE

Thank you user. I have strong control of english and struggling now to get to the same level with german. I mean, I lived here in Germany for 3 years and I still struggle. This language is brutal.

Also check Sandberg German for reading then. How come you didn't learn the language in three years of living there?

bump

Cheers user, I will check it out

lets be real here how many languages can you really keep fluent in your head?

how many times have I heard claims of polyglots then when it comes to a demonstration it is just a low level conversation in all learned languages.

then the euros thinking very closely related languages that are placed upon you from being born is the same as learning a language that doesn't have speakers near you. Speaking baltic tongues is not the same as learning japanese,german, and russian.

so how many? Or in the end when it is said in the context of this thread that you have learned a language it is meant that you can read a book? How many books in that language do you have to read at what interval to not degrade the 1/4th of a language you are using?

polyglots seem more and more like a meme.