Is he overrated?

Is he overrated?

nah

no

no. He is deep and you really need some thought to get into how this this motherfucker is. 1 second into Call of Cthulhu he drops the redpill : "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." That is in my opinion the synthesis of the "cosmis horror". And how its more about the complexity of our mind than anything else. I could try to explain this with Freud, and how we are not able to map the unconscious and how sometimes the inside of our mind leaks to the outside (producing dreams or psychotic surges), but all that is irrelevant. The fear it tries to inspire that gets obvious xenophobic roots, he makes it obvious that fear is invasive and promotes impotence. He is a great righter and thats only 1 second into his work.

do you possibly know if the serbian translations are good? i saw a collection of his stories for a low price but i dont know if i should find an english version instead

Nah, he was a genius of prose and everyone trying to ape his style fail hilariously.

the popular reading of lovecraft is overrated insofar as he exists inside the common eye, but formal qualities aside and considering his actual content he is somewhat underrated

are you?

His prose and descriptions are great but when he busts out the folk dialect in some characters' speech it gets annoying to read

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
-H.P.Lovecraft

What the fuck was his problem?

Fucking lel. He was a /pol/ack before it even existed

unironically Lovecrafts most thought-provoking work

He's our Hesiod.
People haven't caught on that he was divinely inspired yet, but they will.

In all honesty, it is a brilliant reworking of the 'great chain of being'. It redeems the black race too if you read it right.

Ahhhhhhhh, one of his best passages!

no, not overrated at all
he showed everyone ever dreamed of writing horror/supernatural/sci-fi exactly how NOT to write any and all of those genres
he paved the worst possible road, and set the lowest, most boring, most plebeian bar possible for how to write this kind of literature, as if to say, "Alright everybody, pay attention! I'm gonna have some good ideas, and then bore you to death with them!"
so yea he was pretty important, i'll give you that
it's very important to remember that he himself did not even like his own work

More than any other fiction author in history

da truf haff been spoken

Yes.

he had some shit-tier autistic prose, but the mythos he created redeems it.

He loved Jews though.

Even married one

Uvijek čitaj na izvornom jeziku ako umiješ, novopederu.

Psychoanalysing xenophobia is the most cringe conclusion you could have possibly drawn from his writing. Freud pseudointellectuals need to be banned.