Chess books thread

Recommend me some chess books, Veeky Forums. What's your favourite opening? Mine's the Lolli Gambit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/AGADMATOR
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Traxler counter attack is great fun

> Caro Kann
> Urasov Gambit
> Ruy Lopez

I have "My 60 Memorable Games" by Fischer, but I really wish it were in algebraic notation because the old system was garbage.

Endgame, one of several biographies of Bobby Fischer, was a good read. It helped clear his name that he wasn't totally crazy about the Russian chess conspiracy.

But what about his other conspiracy theories?

They're even easier to prove.

100 Endgames You Must Know

Jesus de la Villa

Is it good for beginners?

Not beginners really, no. But once you're past the basics, it's good.

any recs for complete beginners?

Chess is a waste of time.

t. defeated by fool's mate

Alexei Shirov's Fire on Board.
His game with Vassily Ivanchuk blew my mind when I first read it. Check out, user.

what's the best way to learn chess ? Books ? Videos ? Practice only ?

>Lolli Gambit
>not picking the superior Shota Gambit

>Grand masters literally see a different board. Studies of their eye movements have found
that they look at the edges of squares more than inexperienced players, suggesting that
they’re absorbing information from multiple squares at once. Their eyes also dart across
greater distances, and linger for less time at any one place. They focus on fewer different
spots on the board, and those spots are more likely to be relevant to figuring out the right
move.
>But the most striking finding of all from these early studies of chess experts was their
astounding memories. The experts could memorize entire boards after just a brief glance.
And they could reconstruct longago games from memory. In fact, later studies confirmed that
the ability to memorize board positions is one of the best overall indicators of how good a
chess player somebody is. And these chess positions are not simply encoded in transient
short-term memory. Chess experts can remember positions from games for hours, weeks,
even years afterward. Indeed, at a certain point in every chess master’s development, keeping
mental track of the pieces on the board becomes such a trivial skill that they can take on
several opponents at once, entirely in their heads.
>As impressive as the chess masters’ memories were for chess games, their memories for
everything else were notably unimpressive.
t. joshua foer

>White: Réti Opening
>Black: Pirc Defense

The best way to learn is by getting your ass handed to you by someone much better at chess, who's patient enough to teach you. Chess is very much a two-player game, so books and self-practice are a poor substitute for beginners.

Hah!

>tfw no one in your geographical region has a chance to beat you

not sure when I'd get a chance to complain about this again but
my dad LITERALLY always fucking beats me at chess, last time I was about 2 turns away from checkmating him but then he makes one fucking move and ends up beating me, he has literally done this shit since I was around 8 and I'm 21 now
reminder that chess is for FAGGOTS like my dad

Lol'd

If I play against the Lichess AI I can improve, right ?

impressive but that doesn't answer my question

All three

doesn't help

yeah i forgot to add this bit summing up the expert research
>The best chess players follow a similar strategy. They will often spend several hours a day replaying the games of grand masters one move at a time, trying to understand the expert’s thinking at each step. Indeed, the single best predictor of an individual’s chess skill is not the amount of chess he’s played against opponents, but rather the amount of time he’s spent sitting alone working through old games.

uh ok now that i can do it's a start

>The experts could memorize entire boards after just a brief glance.
You don't even need to be an expert for this. It's a lot less impressive than it sounds. Chess players when shown a randomly generated placement of pieces only do slightly better than a normal person. It's when the pieces are laid out in a way which would simulate a real game that their memory is good. Seeing a fianchetto with a castled king will be seen as a single piece of information rather than individually remember five pieces for example. Or they might look at a pawn formation and realise it's similar to a minority attack minus a couple of differences and see that as a single piece of information.
It's like if you got someone to phonetically remember some sounds. That person could remember several long sentences in a row if those sounds made up sentences that they could understand. If it was for a language radically different than their own they wouldn't get very far.

agreed, foer wrote that too, i didnt want to copy&paste the whole book here.

Bobby fischer teaches chess

This is really solid advice. So much of chess is psychological. Playing through the moves one by one, trying to understand not just the moves but the players making the moves is a great idea.

I started chess at the start of the year and I've honestly one a single game on lichess. I often do good early game but make tons of mistakes mid and end game.

youtube.com/user/AGADMATOR

This channel is a good resource and entertaining too.

>tfw not from a shithole country