What do i think of murakami?

i'll start

>m-muh entry-level westaboo rock jazz namedropping
>m-muh self-insert with whom no female can keep her panties on
>m-muh fetishized "japanese"-ness from the western gaze, because being japanese inherently signifies deep meaning
>m-muh dreams

>m-muh fetishized "japanese"-ness from the western gaze, because being japanese inherently signifies deep meaning

Why do brainlets think they can understand Murakami? I love popular authors like him that so perfectly filter out the insecure contrarian plebs from the patricians

Underground is one of the greatest non-fiction books ever written. It marries a brilliant recording of oral history with a social and psychic study of the Japanese mentality, the power of the cult, and a great narrative. If he wins the Nobel it should be for this.

I didn't really like his style when I tried reading him.
Honestly, I didn't find it Japanese at all, and I read some of his stuff before reading Akutagawa. (whom I find to be a much better introduction to Japanese literature)
Others I've talked to told me that it's the kind of literature you use as a filter to blow off steam.

Thanks I guess. Nobody asked for nor cares what you think tho.

you need to go back.

correct opinions here.

Filtered

>I didn't find it Japanese at all

WOW REALLY WHAT A DEEP READER

Honestly, I went trough the first twenty or so pages of Hard boiled Wonderland, and didn't really gave a toss about it.
He talked about an overweight woman, and multitrack change counting while in the elevator.
Isn't really my style.

From your description alone and not reading a single sentence of Murakami it sounds like he writes a self insert for holier than thou people who enjoy things that are a bit out there but not far gone to e considered truly on the margin ie they enjoy things that symbolize both their separation from plebeian taste as well as separated from capitalistic hegemony but not fringe enough for someone to question their sanity or supposed intellectual superiority. All the while they engage in romance and sex on the basis of aesthetic principle but also keenly aware of the disillusionment that comes with that.

This is probably amplified by the usage of locations such as shabby yet subtly trendy bars, articles of clothing, fashion sense, and namedropping.

I would suggest its probably the perfect formula to sell to upper middle class youth with somewhat artistic or intellectual inclinations and hints of narcissism. A pretty large group of people. Now once you realize that you cant write it anymore without feeling like another cog in the money machine but if Murakami is not self aware to realize that then more power to him.

I love Murakami but I have to agree sometimes his male characters really get pussy just because. Also many of the sex scenes are poorly detailed. The best one has to be in Kafka in the Shore, his best work by far.

Hard boiled Wonderland is not a good book of his, you should try some of his shorter noves like South of the border or Norwegian Wood.

I'm not going to spend money or time on Murakami if I have no interest in his works, and as things currently are, I have no interest in his works.
Other authors from Japan captivated my interest better.

This man, in my country he is nothing.

I swear in my country (and the entire region) he is hailed as the next fucking Tolstoj

>Watashi no CATSuru
>Watashi no weltschmerzuru
>Watashi no Kafkaru
>Watashi no ENNUIURU

and what shithole country would that be? america? cause no one in japan who actually cares about japanese literature thinks much of murakami

Although he reuses a lot of material from his books his writing style is still very captivating.

What a shallow outlook. I'm sure he acts as a shelter for those who can't grasp Schopenhauer or black metal.

How about you just shut up, read it, and form your own opinions?

I only like him in comparison to the rest of contemporary japanese lit because he doesnt use shitty biographical fiction like almost everyone else does over there.

'Correct opinions' is technically an oxymoron.

I just know 1Q84 of his. It's been a fairly entertaining read: there are many good parts, and the general idea behind the plot is overall interesting. But there are just so many infuriatingly useless details, references, thoughts, ads, ... Like:

> Tengo's head felt like frozen lettuce. Did you know that if you conserve lettuce in the freezer when you put it out it loses its crispness? Which is to say its best quality.

> Ushikawa's hair looked like pubic hair

> The girl's breasts were huge! Like: astonishingly huge. You have no I idea how beautiful and huge and shapely and huge they were, and how good they smelled! Anyway, back to the the other gal.

> X is now a dead ghost who is still obsessively attached to his menial job

> This secondary character is actually a reincarnation of Y, who died this way, and not the way we believed. But the main characters will never know, so let's move on.

> Aomame's shoes were gucci. Aomame's nympho friend's ones were chanel. She's a cop, btw.

> Z is missing. We'll never hear of her never again

> You may not believe this, but it's for real

B-but he isolated himself so he could dedicate himself full time to his writing, he's the real thing. He also likes jogging and fine cuisine.

Pretty spot on really

He is a comfy writer, nothing more. I will gladly read another one of his books sitting on a comfy chair in the shade.

kekd

According to that one book he wrote on writing, he started out by writing things in English then translating them to Japanese

redditor post