Canterbury Tales

Which is your favorite tale? Least favorite?

wife of bath; id put my dick through her gap teeth

I legitimately came here to post this

Knight's is the correct answer

Miller and Reeve's Tales were humorous which is the only redemption for this disgracefully written garbagio

The summoners tale

> "Now thanne, put in thyn hand doun by my bak,"
> Seyde this man, "and grope wel bihynde.
>Bynethe my buttok there shaltow fynde
>A thyng that I have hyd in pryvetee."

>"A!" thoghte this frere, "That shal go with me!"
>And doun his hand he launcheth to the clifte
>In hope for to fynde there a yifte.
>And whan this sike man felte this frere
>Aboute his tuwel grope there and heere,
>Amydde his hand he leet the frere a fart;
>Ther nys no capul, drawynge in a cart,
>That myghte have lete a fart of swich a soun.

kill yourself

The Wife of Bathks Tale is hilarious

Favorite: The Wife of Bath Prologue, The Pardoner's Prologue and Tale

Least Favorite: Sir Thopas, Melibee,

Are they worth reading in only the modern English translation?

I enjoyed the Prioress's Tale. She was pretty redpilled on the Hebrews and their perfidy.

Maybe. If you're a native English speaker, reading Chaucer in the original really isn't that hard

My course on Chaucer is starting up Thursday. How much energy should I put into learning proper pronunciation? We're supposed to be learning Middle English a bit as well.

I read only a brief snippet of the text translated while I was in highschool, is there a breakdown of what's what? I'm not gonna go through this shit chronologically.

I did. Knowing the way it sounds and being able to pronounce it yourself makes a world of difference in your ability to read the text, plus it makes it a lot more fun.

Middle English phonetics aren't that hard. It's mostly just the vowels.

My course on Chaucer is starting up Thursday. How much energy should I put into learning proper pronunciation? We're supposed to be learning Middle English a bit as well.

>order Riverside Chaucer paperback
>it's tomb with small-ass font

What did you expect lad?

Riverside is essential for the canterbury tales i think. The norton editions of dream visions and t+c are easier to read (and have better glossing so are an easier intro to middle english) while being based on the same text

>tfw Chaucer himself had the worst tales
First one is definitely a satire on the peasants idea of poetry though

Dumb fuck

You can learn it in an hour

Hilarious. Veeky Forums was absolutely fucked last night. I kept trying to post this and it kept showing a connection error.

Nigger its like 3000 pages translated, I'm working on The Greeks and just spent 2 weeks on Herodotus. I don't have time to just sit down and plough through the book.

By 'brief snippet' I mean the first 6 stories out of order and the first few pages in Middle English. I'm already familiar with the structure of the novel.

>novel
*narrative

chaucer's tale about sir thopas, it has a pretty cute whimsical meter and it's a pity it was stopped for some boring ass story in prose i immediately forgot. the parson's tale is the worst tho