Admit it, the only reason to read the Bible in 2018 is to do picrelated as you go through classical literature...

Admit it, the only reason to read the Bible in 2018 is to do picrelated as you go through classical literature. As a literary work in itself, Bible is a badly written piece of shit.

>the only reason
>the only
>only

Not the only reason, but it's one reason.

My thoughts exactly. There are numerous reasons to read the bible, and yet you can still argue it is a bad book.

How is that alone not a good enough reason to read it?

He's a fedora. Don't ask him too much.

>As a literary work in itself, Bible is a badly written piece of shit.
Oh no, it's retarded.

>hurdurr the bible is not sophisticated enough

Wrong.
t. fedora

The Bible is a compilation of many works. The aesthetic "literary quality" varies according to the particular passage and the translation. Many of the sections were not written with anything even remotely resembling pleasurable reading in mind. Why would medical instructions on how to treat leprosy or how to clean a sacrificial altar use florid prose? That said, the Bible contains some of the most moving and beautiful narratives in all of literature. If you think the Bible is "badly written" or of "poor quality" overall, you're likely an inexperienced reader unused to some of the modes and registers the text is written in. For example, the maximum content density embodied in the transcribed oral history form takes some getting used to, but once you recognize it, you quickly realize that you can't just skim over sentence after sentence like you can with a padded airport novel without losing almost all of the meaning in the text, and instead have to slow down and consider each verse. More likely, however, you just have a deformed aesthetic sensibility from overopinionated bitterness combined with unwarranted intellectual vanity. You're speaking from a position of total ignorance and frankly your post disgusts me. You're a Philistine.

Good post.
Also worth pointing out the excellence of the poetic sections of the Bible. Isaiah and many of the Psalms are top-tier.

Posts like this please.
More.

How do I remember the kjv well enough to spot all the references in say most successive works that reference it like moby dick and blood meridian? One thorough reading would take me half a year at least. How much am I supposed to read for how many times?

1. References.
2. Moral foundation of half the world.
3. Basic plots and storylines copies endlessly.
4. Cultural and history.
5. Some fantastic poetry and images.
How many reasons do you need? The Bible is a foundational text to the Western canon. Whether you think it's "badly written" is irrelevant: if you don't know the Bible, Dante, and Homer, you're unarmed. Go grab an annotated copy and get reading.

>it is a bad book.

It's a compilation of books.

>"the Bible" is a badly written piece of shit
yeah whose the fucking shitty author that wrote the whole thing?

You have to read and reread.

>Reddit gif
>Reddit post
Go back

>badly written
Oh, so you read it in the original Greek?

>medical instructions on how to treat leprosy
The Bible contains no such thing, it only contains instructions on how to diagnose lepers and then separate them from society.

How they should be treated rather than how to treat them. ;^>

>reddit image
>reddit opinion
checks out

You have to admit it has little to no character development and the plot leaves much to be desired.

>You're a Philistine.
Fuck off, Samson, there are no more Philistines.

The King James Bible is a must-read not just for the reason you gave, but because its English is so magnificent.

Remember it was written to be read aloud. Most people in 1600 wouldn't be able to afford a copy and/or couldn't read anyway.

This means it had to sound GOOD and AUTHORITATIVE and be MEMORABLE.

The reason that Dickens and Abraham Lincoln and James Joyce and Bob Dylan sound good is largely because they've read the KJB. Maybe you can pick up the rhythms second-hand by reading THEM, but it's always better to go back to the source.

A bus preacher talked to me today. Dude tried to convert me by dissing my current religion.

Pisses me off.

>Admit it, the only reason to read the Bible in 2018 is to do picrelated as you go through classical literature.
This is the primary reason to read the Bible, yes.
>As a literary work in itself, Bible is a badly written piece of shit.
I fucking despise Christianity with every fiber of my being and even I know that's not true.
>The King James Bible is a must-read not just for the reason you gave, but because its English is so magnificent.
Very VERY much this. KJV is important because although it may be quite inaccurate, it's hands down THE most culturally influential version, along with the most pleasant to read. I've read multiple different versions of the Bible in their entirety and I find this to be true.