So, what is consciousness?

so, what is consciousness?

Being aware

itz like...being conscious n sheit...

consciousness is consciousness of something

Non-physical property of physical substance

Grow up philosophy fags

Consciousness is the mind or be it vice reversa? A question that has pushed the great thinkers to the limits for time in memorial, I will thus answer with a riddle. Consciousness is to Life as software is to the computer, in a never ending quantum entaglement of the mind

The soul is conscious and consciousness

>soul

No one knows

your mom

Why do analytics and STEMfags respond to the hard problem by becoming a tard problem?

If you want my serious answer as a pragmatic phenomenonologist, I say it is a phenomenon produced where biosemiotics are symbolized and serve as scaffolding for higher order biosemiotics to thus interpret it.
For example the perception of light is thus symbolized in an animals brain, which then percieves the initial perception. It's more complicated than this and gets into the logical nature of signs and their dynamics, let alone semantic issues about what is meant by consciousness (it's an inept concept if you ask me, it needs to become an anachronism ASAP) but that is pretty much how it works.

Holy shit you are so fucking stupid

Am I couscous? That question turns up in my head sometimes and I immediately become more aware of my surroundings and of myself. However, I'm not aware of everything in my surroundings or of everything that I am. When I'm doing something like reading, I'm fully immersed in what I'm reading and not I'm questioning what I am or what's around me. It's almost like I'm not even there. The best explanation might be material. I'd say that it's what we're experiencing being filtered through our brain. Unless you have seizures and schizophrenia, that experience is limited so that it could make sense. Instead of constantly being fed all of the useless information, you're experiencing just a bit that is important at that moment. This is why the question makes you more aware for a moment. "What is consciousness?" is a question that forces even more questions about yourself and your surroundings and therefore makes you more aware. I have no idea what I wrote anymore, so let's wrap this up. The more a person is self-aware and the more they are aware of their surroundings, the more conscious they are. It might be weird to argue that some people are more conscious than others, but I think the difference between humans is almost irrelevant. I think there is a scale for consciousness primarily because of animals. They might be even more aware of their surroundings than we are, but they lack self reflection and self recognition to be considered as conscious as we are.

Consciousness is that which perceives itself, and it is not that which can't be perceived.
It is that which you call 'I', that which wittingly acts, but it is not your whole self but a segment of it.

quality contribution

Michael SA Graziano wrote a whole book about it. Turns out it's made up

Consciousness is a concept like spirit or soul. It's a word created for its usefulness in conceptual analysis of interpersonal relationships between humans and others. Stupid people mistake it for something that is "objectively" verifiable and identifiable, and they then pursue things like "finding" where consciousness is stored in the body. It's as real as good and evil and knowledge itself (they are real, but they are also wholly dependent on a perspective).

What ISN'T consciousness?

>he fell for the hard nominalism meme

A paradox, an impossibility wich is possible, the sound of one hand clapping.

>perception is consciousness

>didn't read the book

no shit