Based old high school english teacher

Based old high school english teacher

Other urls found in this thread:

theweek.com/authors/matthew-walther
twitter.com/matthewwalther/status/951982010586804224
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What high school did he grow up in? I read almost none of that. Thanks to my Mississippi AP lit we did do some Tennessee Williams tho

He lumps a lot of bad shit with a lot of good books.
I'm confused.

he's right, we need more POC

So he's a Lattimore advocate right?

Kind of disgusting that he shits on Hawthorne, Thoreau and Faulkner. Also,I don't think anybody has to worry about fucking Pynchon books being assigned in public schools.

Stiff cunt. We should spare the next generation of children from ever reading his tweets and opinions

>loads of modern american authors and herrmann hesse, which he probably read in a translation

lmao what a pleb

What's wrong with Heaney's Beowulf?

Whenever someone says P&V is bad I get really pissed off, like axe-bashingly mad. I doubt this dude has a clue why he's disregarding any of these for that matter. If you personally dislike P&V, that's fine, but everyone who's antip&v as I've seen has no constructive reason against it.

This guy fucking blows. What does he want, more politically-correct garbage?

Not really seeing an argument just a list

We read the Crying of Lot 49 in mine.

This.

What should the next generation read in his opinion ?

why is Veeky Forums.net just the twitter comments section now

I just don't see why it's suddenly fashionable to praise extremely literal translations and deride everything that came before

>What we should read is POCRITURE AND TRANSTALES

He adds leftist overtones.

It reads like google translate.

>spared from reading Hermann Hesse
Missed this at first.

Now I'm mad and sad and mad again.

Give to me straight. Is it Fagle's Homer bad, or Wilson's Odyssey bad?

>star wars avatar
>hates books

why is this cunt an english teacher?

Wut

The more literal the better, even if it destroys any meaning or beauty.

>I'm very afraid of commies, jazz, and anything to do with repressed homosexuality
someone needs to slip him some MDMA and film the results
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z20w21bjBo

it's a meme you dip

This is him:

theweek.com/authors/matthew-walther

KEK! Or an acid tab

Actual high school English teacher here.

He's read maybe three of those books and has taught none of them. The modern generation lacks the attention span and general intelligence to appreciate novels. The best we can hope for is that they can parse some excerpts and fill in a bubble sheet. They are widgets.

Does he want to spare kids from ever feeling uncomfortable or what?

High school kids are already uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable due to literature is ideally a result of challenging one's norms, not from not knowing what "acerbic" means or why the author uses this silly symbol ";" all over the place.

I'm telling you, user. These kids are fucking clueless. I teach 18 year-olds that have never read a book in their lives.

Probably the most diverse sears catalog's he can get his grubby hands on.

>.net
Ayyy lmao.

based

All punctuation should be eradicated and replaced with the ";"
Don't spit on the holy ";"

You don't have to be a teacher to fart out a diagnosis such as yours.
The real question is - where did your generation fuck up to make ours end up this bad?

Yeah; sounds like a great idea;

beautiful;

I never understood the autism behind translators, especially for someone like Dost whose ideas matter infinitely more than his prose, which actual Russian speakers say is nothing special. I've read the P&V, Garnett, and McDuff translations of TBK and noticed no difference- even reading them side by side will only differ in minor phrasing.

>let's do it word-for-word
>muh accurate translation
>muh retains the style of the author
>Ohpra
middle brow if there ever was

Most of these are right but
>Pynchon
>Faulkner
>Hesse
>Hawthorne
What a cuck

I honestly doubt any high school teacher would get away with making their students read Lolita.

Why are you so butthurt? Just engage with his diagnosis instead of blindly shifting blame that was never placed like some twitter commenter

>Being enamored of all those ridiculous mid-century male American writers is the definition of philistinism.
What did he mean by this?
twitter.com/matthewwalther/status/951982010586804224

this. we need more slam poem bt people of color and feminist literature

actually; this doesn't seem so bad; i perfectly understand these sentences;

>shifting blame
But I only asked a question ;)

It means he has a fetish either for Modernism or Victorianism and doesn't like the developments that midcentury fiction, i.e modernism inflected by postmodernism or anxious modernists working out smaller projects, that derive from whatever his ideal period is.

OR I have a suspicion that he's a theist and has an objection to the throughroughgoing atheism of that period.

They invented the Internet.

I never listen to an opinion that doesn't offer an alternative.

The guy dislikes irish people

It's actually really common.

He's butthurt that Steinbeck espouses a kind of new age "god is the universe and all the people" religion instead of the catholicism he personally subscribes to.

That's just an opinion.

To elaborate:
My wife teaches high school English, and a lot her coworkers are not only total plebs, but are highly anti-intellectual. They refuse to teach grade level books, while she does, and they keep tryig to bully her for using "big words," such as "heist." The rest only read YA, or pretty much nothing. Unfortunately, teaching is a gathering place for people who wanted to teach, but weren't good enough at science, math, or languages, and hated memeorizing things for history.
When my wife started teaching, most of her students couldn't even pass state standardized tests in the subject, after a semester with her 2/3 of those students passed. All she did was teach grade level texts, and dropped the pleb shit and started teaching actual literature.

I think literature and literary studies would be more respectable if it was kept at arm's length from the masses. If only advanced students who had demonstrated intellectual ability and academic potential were permitted to take literature classes, both the content of the classes would be better and you wouldn't get 25 year-old Redditors complaining about Catcher in the Rye

>this post
Democracy was a mistake

agreed. Or rather, let's hear the genius list out the works he approves of. He's obviously something of an authority on the matter.

No, we don’t.

that was their parents actually, they were busy doing drugs when the defense department made it