What do you do when you find a new word you don't know? Keep a journal and google the definition?

What do you do when you find a new word you don't know? Keep a journal and google the definition?

bump

I came across this problem several times when reading translated Beowulf. Most of the time I just googled the words, found a proper definition and continued. Then there were a few words that didn't yield any results at all though.

I always look it up as soon as possible; I dislike reading any further even if I can make a decent stab at the meaning from context.

I keep a text file called Interesting Words with three main sections:-

a) English words
e.g.
>cingulomania
a strong desire to hold a person in your arms
>decumbiture
time of going to bed when ill

b) Foreign words used to spice up English
e.g.
>mañana
(Spanish) literally "tomorrow morning" - i.e. "never"
>Backpfeifengesich
(German) "face that should be slapped"

c) Proper nouns
e.g.
>Gadsden
the "don't tread on me" flag
>Lindy Effect
the idea that the longer something has lasted, the longer it is likely to go on lasting

How do you go back and retain all these new words? Just go back and keep reading them?

I've been making flashcards on my phone and writing stuff in my journal.

Keeping a journal of words you don’t know sounds fun desu

I use my kindle to find the definition and highlight it so I can find that word later. When I've finished reading for the day I go back to those words and save them in my dictionary app.

The best way to train your mind to remember new words is through practice. What I do is when I write (essays, texts, journal entries, short-stories) I would use an online thesaurus to remind me of the words I had learned and use them sparingly. It also trained me to discern if it's appropriate to use a synonym or if it came off as superfluous.

On my kindle all the words I highlight appear on a note to study (in the form of flashcards). It isnt the same for you?

I read over the text file occasionally (it's pretty long now haha)

Also I try to USE the words. Active reinforcement beats passive every time.

I only look up words that look interesting. Examples from the book I'm reading:

>sartorial
>aquiline
>espied

What kind of thesaurus do you use?

you're only allowed to post here if you've read a book before

this advice is godawful and rote memorization is pretty much the most difficult way to learn anything. if you see a word that you don't recognize, can't understand via context clues, and can't understand based on morphemes, look up its etymology. it's more engaging, more accurate, and more memorable than a definition and will actually grow your language skills instead of just stapling another scrap onto the sad little paper chain of your vocabulary

I write them down on my phone and google the definition, I have a note where I keep a bunch of them. I need to get a journal though where I could study before I go to bed.

My grade ten English teacher suggested we read with a dictionary at our side. I did this for a whole year. I still remember looking up the word "Hasp" when reading The Grapes of Wrath.

Any recommendations of where to save etymologies ? Do you write them down?

I highlight the word and the kindle brings up the definition for me

What if you're reading physical, what then?

I haven't made the transition to e readers yet.

I always use an index card as my bookmark. I write the word I don't know down, look the word up, then move on. Several repetitions of this seems to get the word into me eventually, but usually it's an ineffective process.

When I begin to study for the GRE, if that ever happens, I'll just pull out all the old index cards and memorize all the words I've written down. I leave the index cards in the book after I'm done as a reminder that I've read the book and which words I didn't know in it.

Context clues. If i can't do that I just google it.

I just underline the word and write its definition in the margin, or at the top or bottom.
Which is why I probably won't ever give my books to borrow or buy, since I know that annoys a lot of people and even I admit it looks foolish. Note, I only do this to paperbacks and may buy another copy of a marked-up book as hardcover if I prefer to rerread the text untouched.

I use a physical dictionary. Never mix old and new tech

>ephemeral

I'm like what.

i like this

I have a dictionary on my reading table. If it doesn't have the word I'm looking for, I simply remember it and look it up when I'm at the computer. That said, I have a very good and quick memory for words, it's probably not so simple if you can't retain an unfamiliar word just by looking at it for a few seconds.

>Any recommendations of where to save etymologies ?
Is this not why we have margins?
>Heresy!
At your service.

I'm too retarded to understand what you mean by "margins".

>I simply remember it and look it up when I'm at the computer.
The physical dictionary has entries all around the specific word in question that help establish the etymology. You do not get this incidental exposure with an e-dictionary.

I cut myself. I cut myself for every word I don't know, and then I'm sure to never forget it.

>I'm too retarded to understand what you mean by "margins".
Literally, the space at the edge of the page where there is no text. Alternately, if I want to be less invasive, I will place a little flag in the margin and write a reference number on the flag. The number correlates to notes that I keep in the rear of the book on a full size lined post-it type sheet that is sized to the book. These are available at office supply stores. Keep in mind that post-its placed directly on text will adhere after extended periods, tending to destroy the text when they need to be removed for subsequent re-reading. Do not put any adhesive of any kind over text that you intend to re-read. I do not fear someone else seeing my notes written in a book. When I die, my children will either chuck my books in a dumpster or will be exposed to my postmortem wisdom when they read them for their own benefit. I see no down side to notes unless you intend to resell the book.

Yeah, for a long time I had an exaggerated respect for books and never wrote in them, but I have come to the conclusion that this is nonsense.
Writing in books = the Path To Power.

I can find any reference in my old works of Tacitus in about fifteen minutes because the concepts that I deemed to have merit enough to note are highlighted with a yellow marker. I did that twenty five years ago.

make up a meaning for it. this is how the insediate deal with that problem.

I already know all the words. Yes, even Floccinaucinihilipilifiction

I infer, since in English the majority of unfamiliar words tend to be obscure Latin derivatives, meaning they can pretty easily be inferred if you know your -ixes

You solved a captcha for this?

>I use my kindle to find the definition
This is one of the best things about the kindle; I use this too.

If I'm not reading on my kindle, I have my laptop near me where I will simply google the words definition. It's that easy. If I like word, I save it on my notes.

I hold it down on my kindle, shows the definition. Unfortunately I almost always forget them. I should keep a journal.

I skip the and try to extract the meaning from the rest of the sentence, when that doesn't work I just continue my reading.

to honest for Veeky Forums tbqhimhomfam

>mfam
what does this part mean?

*too
my family