Is there any good literature (not fantasy/genre stuff) that takes place in the Middle Ages?

Is there any good literature (not fantasy/genre stuff) that takes place in the Middle Ages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xyDKezDLGTM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

maybe, but the crusades burned all of it lmao religious is good amirite?

Alamut and that's it
Im shitposting, If anyone has more id certainly like to know them

watch out, if the LARPers here hear you mention anything about christianity they will turn this thread into nothing but fedora images

>hey any good genre stuff out there?
>ps no genre pls

what did he mean by this?

>defensive war against muslim savages
>rick and morty fans view it as "le christianity is evil!"

more like
>filthy sandnigger "christians" care more about protecting muslims and genociding real christians than helping the crusades

the crusaders burning religions stuff meme comes from when they sacked constantinople. of course they ignore everything leading up to it and the situation as a whole. reduced to talking points it does look bad though when your crusade goes out to take the holy land and ends up burning down fake rome

What was the Northern Crusade?

Decameron
Canterbury Tales
Song of Roland

Name of the Rose

I still can't tell if athiests here are just LARPers or if we've really been infested with retards lately.

Baudolino

How middle ages are you looking? Shakespeare is about a century past the ending with a number of his works (Hamlet, Macbeth) occurring earlier. You won't find very much contemporary stuff worth reading

nah m8 its the "christians" who are the LARPers here

Did God bless you with telepathy?

Pillars of the earth

>christlarpers think crusades were only against muslims

Guillaume le marechal

When Christ and His Saints Slept

This book is complete shit. OP, don't listen to this recommendation. Follet is a terrible writer.

Long live the Pagan/Orthodox coalition.
youtu.be/xyDKezDLGTM

Ariosto - Orlando Furioso (Better than any fantasy you can read)

This series really good for what it is. Probably just read the second and third ones though.

Pilgrim by Timothy Findley

Are there any titles like this with a strong theological theme? Written between 1300-1700, especially lesser known. I've had this dream about a book, and I have no idea if it's something I've forgotten about or it just exists in the dream.

Whats wrong with medieval set fantasy OP?

Torquato Tasso - Gerusalemme Liberata
This could be more "theological"... But I don't know much about it.

Otherwise, if you want it theological and middle-aged, go for Dante's Divine Comedy. Maybe that was the book in the dream...

Otherwise, for other knightly-themed things with religious tones there's Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur.

Ivanhoe, Walter Scott.

the show was comfy because of ian mcshane though

and that hot slut with the big tits

i find that the magical elements almost always ruin it for me.

Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, it’s a murder mystery but set in a 1300s monastery in Italy.

Best day of my life

feuchtwanger - the jewess of toledo

Narcissus and Goldmund

Chivalry books, the kind of books real men read

I liked Ken Follett's Pillars of the earth series, which is middle age fiction but not fantasy

The Long Ships

>Relative peace between islam and christianity in the midwest
>Turks conquer a large chunk of islamic empires and kill a lot of people
>Kill a couple christians and end pilgrimages to Jerusalem
>Now the Pope actually cares
>Send a hap-hazard group of knights and rulers to go reclaim the holy land without any real leadership
>Ends in disatrous pillaging, raping and genocide
>Rarely ever even actually fight the turks
>Just killing other muslims who the turks were also killing and oppressing
>Do this several more times without any real progress and a couple major fuck ups (4th)
>Dumb historians and poets praise the crusades as righteous
>Modern day historians take a netural position not condemning either side even though wrongs were committed on both sides
>Christfags: "OMG WHY DOES EVRYONE HATE MUH CHRISTIANITY!? STOP PERSECUTING US!"

William Watson
The Last of the Templars

I like reading nonfic about the era
The true motivations of the crusade's had little to do with religion. Think of the call to the cross as modern day wmds in Iraq.

>maybe, but the crusades burned all of it lmao religious is good amirite?
He didn't ask for literature from middle ages you fucking retard.

What a gripping story; power hungry barons murder Charles the Good, the beloved Duke of Burgundy, when he's praying in church unarmed. At first it seems the coup will win but then the people of peaceful Bruges show their true colors and rally with growing force against the bloodstained criminals. Galbert is an excellent writer and a keen observer, but despite his rational clear prose you can see he's deeply distraught by the violence and anarchy unleashed on his beloved home.

You can't go wrong with Galbert of Bruges

any nonfic recs?

A distant mirror by Barbra Tuchman

The Greatest Knight by Thomas Asbridge

They're pretty similar in concept in that they each use the life of a singular man to weave a personal narrative through a historical examination that hews closely to primary sources and objective examination of their respective eras.

The Autumn of the Middle Ages, Huizinga
The Cult of the Saints, Peter Brown
Mont St. Michel and Chartres, Henry Adams (this one is a classic, presumes to compare the medieval mind to the modern one ca. 1900- great book anyway).