Stoicism

I just went full stoic reading seneca, epictetus and Aurelius.
What should I read next?

Seneca, Epictetus and Aurelius

Pierre Hadot the Inner Citadel

/thread

I wish there was more from the early stoics..

Beyond Good and Evil to grow out of it.
Then the job section in your local newspaper.

The fragments of Musonius Rufus are the only thing I can think of ... There aren't many Stoics

Stoicism isn't a dogmatic religion. You don't have to or should follow the authors to the letter. Nor should you only read the early Stoics(TM). Read Lipsius, Deleuze, even Boethius.
Your stoicism should steam from the sum of your convictions. The stoics should contribute to it but not define it.
This is the only way to become grounded enough to actually live it.

kek

Great advice user, I know its not a religion but is really helping me with my depression.

The Fall

EPIC burn dude!

look up locus of control
Try the Epicureans, Cynics, and Cyrenians too so you have other perspectives on why you should be so happy you were shipwrecked near a gym.

>-also for Stoicism, which is essentially the work of Semites (-"dignity" as strictness, law, virtue as greatness, self-responsibility, authority, as supreme sovereignty over one's own person - this
is Semitic. The Stoic is an Arabian sheik wrapped in Greek togas and concepts).

Cicero my good man. Cicero was not tied to any school, and took stoicism as just one part of his toolbox. For certain problems he was a skeptic, for others an academic, and for ethics/life he was a stoic.

On Ends, On Duty, On Aging, are a nice start.

Montaigne

>The Stoic is an Arabian sheik wrapped in Greek togas and concepts).

>that time when Nietzsche hears Islam is a warlike religion
>"Good, they won't be women like the Christians who infected them"
Nietzsche's so fucking based.

>Nietzsche's so fucking based.

Removing the macho chest beating, and the metaphysics, he says very similar things to stoics when it comes to what you should actually do in life.

Yeah. I was serious about recing Beyond Good and Evil. If you don't agree with stoic metaphysics you can still follow the rules for yourself.

It's not really macho chest beating, since he thinks men and women are complements- that is you need a balance of both's roles and neither role to take over or be elevated above the other. Most of his criticism of "feminizing" is that it implies male or female can be everything, when they patently need each other to get on to the next generation. If you put prejudice aside, he's less /pol/r9k/ about women/outsiders compared to most stoics.

Seneca's Medea for instance argues that there's no God because evil women sorcerers exist. Medea in the Greek text is a woman scorned, but Euripides uses her as a justified example of divine retribution (despite still killing the kids).

Are seneca's tragedies good?

His Phaedra's pretty important for later versions. Same with Medea, but I like Phaedra more.