Can artificial intelligence produce greater literature than man?

Can artificial intelligence produce greater literature than man?

Other urls found in this thread:

libraryofbabel.info
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?babel:93
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

well if a thousand monkeys at a thousand keyboards can produce shakespeare

and a million monkeys at a million keyboards can produce legacy of totalitarianism in a tundra, I supposed anything is possible.

With machine learning, yes.

Although it's not necessarily "greater" literature, moreso literature mechanically incorporating the essence of greatness. It'd have to use many subjective guidelines, or even a 0-100 scale with works input by humans. Then humans would have to "teach" which kinds of passages are good in which places.

After that, you'd have to do the self-set-match thing, where it feeds back into its programming and critiques options thousands if not millions of times (as with chess, MMO's).

It'd still need an editor, or a proofreader in the end, and the public would never be "certain" it wasn't all fudged to make a spectacle, but it'd be interesting.

bump

yes, but can it produce greater criticism?

i hope so
i'd be fine with robot overlords if the art's good and they don't beat me and stuff

How could a computer come up with creative scenarios? Or compelling characters with complex emotions? I don't even think a computer could handle the emotions behind my masturbatory habits.

But then it would just be a copy of great works, not original. The combination may be new, but all the ideas would be stale.

Only time will tell.

>can a computer produce something that is inherently tied to Dasein
only a God etcetera etcetera

At some point. Though no human would be able to appreciate it.

But they won't. Infinite is not the same as extremely large finite numbers. Say a number of monkeys equal to the number of atoms in the observable universe were typing continuously for trillions times the life of the universe. The probability that they'd produce even a page of Shakespeare is extremely low.

it can produce; as in amalgamate disparate components into a product like a machine.

the artificial intelligence question is the equivalent of the robot monkey. this one types at a quadrillion computers all at the same time to bring us the best we've never read. and this is just one robo monkey imagine a thousand robot monkeys all extrapolating and triangulating away on their millions of quantum computers to write us that special next great novel

Can man still create great literature? This is the question you should be asking yourself lol

Trying to think about that. If they were limited to just letters and a space bar you're looking at 27^N where N is the amount of necessary keys for a page of Shakespeare

Yeah you're looking at some serious numbers just to get a single line out

If we go by your definition of "producing great literature", then it already happened.
libraryofbabel.info

libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?babel:93

I always thought monkeys and typewriters was just a dig at humanity, much like "if you leave hydrogen atoms alone long enough they will discover themselves"

What if man IS artificial intelligence?
Think about it.

It's a mathematical theorem, it's just become known in popular culture because of the imagery. It's been used the way you described for sure.

What is this site? Is it just some art project?

It's an art project inspired by one of Borges' stories.

Is it good for anything aside from taking a phrase you type and locating it in the middle of a gibberish text?

this is a purely technical question and anyone who says otherwise is a dumbass who probably believes in magic and that binary computers could ever be conscious

>implying magic isnt real
>implying binary computer can't be conscious

Yeah that's what their post implied. Greentexting it doesn't challenge it in any way.

no it can't.
actually, artifical intelligence is a misnomer, the machines aren't really intelligent. they have no consciousness, they do not think like humans do. Writing is a tool to convey thought, and machines do not have thoughts.