Who do you think will win the war on Lovecraft?

Who do you think will win the war on Lovecraft?

Will his legacy succumb to creeping opprobrium?
Will problematic passages get removed like limbs lopped off a corpse?
Will Lovecraft continue to enjoy widespread popularity despite falling afoul of contemporary mores?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EkupUtNYeAA
youtu.be/TMTkedIUX8U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Elementary schools will never stop teaching his amazing story about Niggerman the cat

hahaha
I listened to Rats in The Walls rather than read it.

youtube.com/watch?v=EkupUtNYeAA

Lovecraft's most meme'd works will stay in pop culture for a long time to come while a handful of academics will continue to whine about how rayciss he is and SF/pulp/horror/etc. fans will continue to read his works and enjoy them.

Will eventually be dismissed as purple prose hackery along with all other writers that don't conform to invisible style.

All the politically incorrect aspects of his stories will be treated as an exciting side-show (because it's strictly taboo and therefore alluring to the coming soy-generations), and eventually ironic political incorrectness in literature will become vogue.

How long will this last? 75 years maybe?

>politically incorrect aspects of his stories will be treated as an exciting side-show (because it's strictly taboo and therefore alluring to the coming soy-generations)

There is precedence in the adoption of antisemitic black metal by homosexual Californian effetes. You may be on to something.

(checked)
When everything is permitted except calling someone a nigger, people are going to start wanting to call people nigger simply for the thrill of it. You know it will happen, and already is happening.

The fawning adoration for 'cute' Cthulhu merchandise will pass, and will strike our distant descendants as especially particular.

The most valuable contribution of Lovecraft is his race realism, which will endure.

This "REEEEEE FUCK ALL RACIST AUTHORS!" bullshit has been popular for less than 20 years and already people are getting sick and tired of it. The extreme anti-racists did too much too soon and as a result the general public are starting to rebel against them. I think Lovecraft and other massively popular racist authors are safe.

Will Lovecraft survive the apocalypse?

>all problematic passages get removed from all books
>readers in the future have no means to understand that moral values change over time
>the myth of progress is shattered and humanity lives in the eternal now

why do people get so upset over 'purple' prose these days? I swear if you have a sentence more complex than something a 5th grader would write some dumbass is going to whine about it being too hard for their little twitter and video game addled ADHD having superhero movie watching brain.

I've also noticed it's always the kind of people who whine about the plot not being central too, because they can't handle non-linearity or a character centric/thematic novel. One student I had in an intro course few years back fancied himself a literary upstart but told me that TBK was very boring as a novel because the plot took too long to develop. I'm fairly sure he never even read the book in classical 'I'm a literary mind who likes to write but all I read is brain melting YAtrash, here let me explain why the absolute drivel that I like is on par with or superior to the classics, which are only classics because muh crusty old white men wrote them and like them' fashion.

Who cares, Lovecraft would most likely be disgusted by his pathetic fan base. Just look at those beady eyes, trapped in that bloated face of her. Americans dress like slobs, they have no respect for their appearance, and it isn't because they are all artistic exceptions.

If I had the talent I would write a passage in the style of Lovecraft detailing the horrors of the 21st century mutt. Imagine him actually seeing the barely literate goons that claim to be his "fans". I'm repulsed by them, but even my contempt would be little compared to Lovecraft's.

Perusing Lovecraft reviews on Reddit and Goodreads was a rude awakening. Dozens upon dozens of reviews bemoaning the lack of dialogue assailed me. Stories are more than words being spoken by characters!

>TBK
Please don't abbreviate, what is this?

I don't doubt that he would be horrified by the mongrelification of America, but I find myself wondering if the cutting edge of our artistic vanguard might not slice deeper.

The Bros. Karamario

>One student I had
Of course.

the brainrot that kids grow up reading conditions them to like bad books. I recommend Lovecraft for high school freshmen. Back when I had to teach entry level creative writing classes I used to assign Colour Out of Space. I would frequently get course feedback asking to remove it because it was 'dated'. The best part was reading their recommendations to replace it, all of which indicated they they had absolutely no idea why I had assigned it.

Of course what, of course a professor wants to kill himself every time he has to teach intro courses to the point where we have moved on from taking turns teaching them to foisting them on the least senior professor in the department because literally no one, not even the motherly old lady professors can handle trying to educate the absolute morons that the failing secondary education system is sending us? Even most of my upper division and graduate students are fucking cretins, but at least they're generally literate.

Do you have any quotas? You should be able to fail students who don't comprehend what's given to them. That seems to be the simplest way to resolve this problem of incompetent students: set a reasonable bar, and fail them if they don't reach it.

Everything cycles, or most things do. The PC stuff will eventually fade. It's just too bad for the people who have to live through it. Pretending he was other than what he was, whatever you think of his views, just to make yourself feel better, is useless. Why not look at everything as it is instead of with rose-colored glasses?

He's clearly American, they have no educational standards.

I’ll never understand why call of Cthulhu is so meme’d. His other stories: colour out of space, shadow over innsmouth, mountains of madness, and rats in the walls are all a lot better. So why is Cthulhu the only thing to reach pop culture status? Is it the fact it is pretty safe and is basically a mythical story?

Because it's a cool word and people learn about him by reference to his Cthulhu mythos. Just look at how aesthetic those two words are: it's like, damn, what the hell is a Cthulhu? I want to know, I guess I'll start with the story that has Cthulhu in its very name.

Personally I'm fond of the Music of Erich Zann and Pickman's Model, though I've only read about 1/3rd of the Necronomicon. Although Nigger-man is definitely /ourcat/.

>Personally I'm fond of the Music of Erich Zann and Pickman's Model

Both wonderful and underrated.

>Nigger-man is definitely /ourcat/.

Yes!

The war is already won by those who steal Lovecraft references and supplant the source material. When people hear the word Arkham they think Batman and capeshit, not Lovecraft.

I'd say that there's a difference between flowery language for effect and jerking off to your own prose. Lovecraft straddles that line sometimes but authors like China Mieville take a running leap over said line and keep going. Garbage like Perdido Street Station is borderline unreadable because every other sentence brings to mind vid related.

youtu.be/TMTkedIUX8U

Cthulhu as a distinctive monster is a lot easier to commoditize than anything in those stories you listed

Because of August Derleth. He created the term 'Cthulhu Mythos'. Cthulhu gets mentioned in almost every Arkham cycle story by Lovecraft.

Lovecraft did get quickly canonized in a particular way. His works were given form, and this form proved influential. It shaped the way people received Lovecraft. Not many think about this.

an actual racist

nothing else really needs to be said does it? I wont be letting my children read it

>Watching youtube documentary on Lovecraft
>Neil Gaiman shows up
>says Niggerman
lmfaoooooooooo

>why do people get so upset over 'purple' prose these days?
They are all pomo tough intellectuals that won't take shit from anyone unless it has "actual meaning". They seem to forget that expression in itelef could be called the purple prose of thought.

Lovecraft will come to be seen as a holy prophet.