What are some good books on AI?

Fiction and Non fiction please

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpressjournals.org/loi/artl
alife.org/workshops/oee2/
localroger.com/prime-intellect/)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's an actual Computer Science textbook on AIs
The biggest redpill on "artificial intelligence" is that its a myth, there is no ontological difference between a trivial program and a hypothetical social robot. A mechanical thermostat qualifies for the rigorous definition of an AI

Forgot pic

Daemon by that one guy

isn’t biggest redpill that people are basically retards and could never design a system that approximates sapience???

Time Enough For Love has a pretty nice section with sentient AIs.
The wise man keeps his spaceship computer in a permanently infantile state because he realizes it (she) will fall in love with him otherwise.
Another man doesn't, and his computer DOES fall in love with him, and they have to make it human so they can have sex. Go Heinlein!

(Also from Heinlein, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress of course has Mike, the computer who makes bad jokes and basically wins the war for them.)

Can't believe "adults" read this stupid shit

I think the only way we'd ever get something approximating the popular understanding of "AI" is via a long period of simulated evolution

But what about Sophia and others robots user?
They seem smart enough

Not off topic but why don't they let regular humans (ie non-pro players) play against Elon Musk's dota bot?

I don't see that working. You would need a functional AI to test the condition the evolution. Otherwise you just end up with the usual test solving gibberish of high level machine learning

the metamorphesis of prime intellect was fun, though it isn't Veeky Forums

Not books, but check out the journal Artificial Life:
mitpressjournals.org/loi/artl

Here's notes from a conference on open-ended evolution:alife.org/workshops/oee2/

When Harlie was One, by David Gerrold

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, by Roger Williams (localroger.com/prime-intellect/)

Destination:Void by Frank Herbert

Neuromancer by William Gibson

can't believe shitposters solve a captcha to tell us STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

fuck you, it is so. more so than harlan SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS TINY LUNGS ellison.

Two possibilities I can think of. Both are probably stupid

1. Its meant to be learning, so having to fight regular people would probably turn it into every other garbage player. Not likely but possible
2. Needs too much processing power, and can neither afford to run a crapton of copies at once and/or cannot be transmitted through shitty internet connections like the vast majority have

But I'm an user on the internet, so you might want to take this with a grain of salt

I started reading Metamorphosis a long time ago, but dropped it eventually. Would you recommend pushing through? I think I lasted till the part where the woman gets stranded on the island of the guy who developed the AI. I remember it being quite edgy with no real purpose to the violence and sex acts.

I've also read and enjoyed (to varying degrees) HPMOR.
Seconding Neuromancer. It's not the deepest book ever, but it presents you with some very nice concepts not limited to AIs. It's a short cyberpunk heist novel in essence but it really shines in its worldbuilding.

this is the best book for anyone looking for a serious introduction to the subject, pretty much the standard text for undergrad in all decent CS programs

also this book is good for lay people

Permutation City
Diaspora

>design a system that approximates sapience
this is an even bigger meme, AI that is developed and applied is fundamentally different in structure, design, and goal (of creation), to that of a human being. No one is trying to make some useless piece of shit human imitation (what would you use it for? nothing but to satiate curiousity, which isn't a good enough reason in terms of research, time, and money). This is why you fags will always say "muh consciousness" even when the sum of these systems covers everything a human can do and be, anthropomorphism in the face of two fundamentally different things.

Destination: Void

I think the point is more about how we don't have the capacity to create something that is generally intelligent, as opposed to being the very specific applications of AI that we have today.

a random collection of Stanisław Lem's stories I read had a few great stories about AIs, I don't know if any of them were translated into english though
one of them was written from the point of view of a malfunctioning AI that believed itself to be God and played around with creating simulations of various universes
another good one was about the (non-romantic) relationship between an astronaut and the AI that was his sole companion during a long flight, it was titled "The Hammer", I believe
pretty similar to "Pirx the Pilot" in terms of the psychological take on space travel

There's no such thing as "generally intelligent", there's just varying degrees of scope of application in a given programs function.
I see no reason why a program with the scope of application of a human would be desirable or useful, it is by the very nature of the specific scope of logic that computers are useful in the first place.
Thats to say we humans are relatively awful at basic artithmetic exactly because of our extreme scope.

>There's no such thing as "generally intelligent"
It's just a common AI term that describes a flexible intelligence, one that's adaptive beyond the scope of one (or any preset number of) specific task(s) or skill(s). It's not meant to be interpreted as an intelligence that's "good at everything" or anything like that.

>It's just a common AI term

I know but its a naive term and should be discarded in favor of something more rigorous