Are there any books about mental health among Millenials?

Are there any books about mental health among Millenials?

Is it just a meme or a form of identity branding?

A ton of people I know have declared themselves publicly as suffering from depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, PTSD and so on.

I am tempted to think that this is largely a consequence of the divide between what our culture advertises as being normal for "millenials" (e.g. moving out of home, finding a good job, having a large social network, going on holidays often, being a top-tier consumer etc) with the bleak reality in regards to house prices, human loneliness, the necessity of struggle and failure,the brutal nature of the job market and so forth.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2014/05/cyberbll.html
economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/05/daily-chart-21
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The hatred of millennials is just a subtle arrow in the divide and conquer identity politics pushed by the elite

Any mental health issues would be caused by the neoliberal system of hyper individualism we live under.

Millennials are the first generation to not be brainwashed by anti communist cold war propaganda and to not see an economic boom

Couple this with a system that is basically jamming you in the face with thoughts like BE PERFECT BE PERFECT BE PERFECT BE PERFECT leads to a deep anxiety.

I don't know of any books, but I'm sure they exist.

I think decreasing stigma and more frequent diagnoses have as much to do with it as the disparity between ads and real life.

What's the solution? Should we turn to the Greeks on how to live (e.g. stoics)?

>being constantly reminded that we're disposable people only good for wagecuck jobs
>people wonder why we have mental illness and find solace in escapist media

It's more of a gentrification in a way like how the whole depression shit has been taken over by normalfags ever since Kurt show himself. We have things far easier than other generations so I don't need to see why we're depressed other than the fact we're bombarded all day with entertainment which is probably one of the reasons. You could say depression is being mistaken as crashing from how much media we're consuming all day.

>Are there any books about mental health among Millenials?
Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism touches on that topic a lot.

>To be bored simply means to be removed from the communicative sensation-stimulus matrix of texting, YouTube and fast food; to be denied, for a moment, the constant flow of sugary gratification on demand. Some students want Nietzsche in the same way that they want a hamburger; they fail to grasp - and the logic of the consumer system encourages this misapprehension - that the indigestibility, the difficulty is Nietzsche.
>An illustration: I challenged one student about why he always wore headphones in class. He replied that it didn't matter, because he wasn't actually playing any music. In another lesson, he was playing music at very low volume through the headphones, without wearing them. When I asked him to switch it off, he replied that even he couldn't hear it. Why wear the headphones without playing music or play music without wearing the headphones? Because the presence of the phones on the ears or the knowledge that the music is playing (even if he couldn't hear it) was a reassurance that the matrix was still there, within reach. Besides, in a classic example of interpassivity, if the music was still playing, even if he couldn't hear it, then the player could still enjoy it on his behalf. The use of headphones is signif- icant here - pop is experienced not as something which could have impacts upon public space, but as a retreat into private 'Oedlpod' consumer bliss, a walling up against the social.

>The current ruling ontology denies any possibility of a social causation of mental illness. The chemico-biologization of mental illness is of course strictly commensurate with its depoliticization. Considering mental illness an individual chemico-biological problem has enormous benefits for capitalism. First, it reinforces capital’s drive towards atomistic individualization (you are sick because of your brain chemistry). Second, it provides an enormously lucrative market in which multinational pharmaceutical companies can peddle their pharmaceuticals (we can cure you with our SSRIs). It goes without saying that all mental illnesses are neurologically instantiated, but this says nothing about their causation. If it is true, for instance, that depression is constituted by low serotonin levels, what still needs to be explained is why particular individuals have low levels of serotonin. This requires a social and political explanation; and the task of repoliticizing mental illness is an urgent one if the left wants to challenge capitalist realism.

You are ignorant of history and economics.
Millenials are not the first to witness anything new (other than modern technological advancement), and the market goes rampant with boom and inflation as I type this post. Why hate individualism and marketing while dreading the boogieman elite? Or are you just another filthy Communist?

why are you asking me you dumb cunt.

If anything its just going to get worse as more and more jobs are replaced by automation. Both political parties work in the interest of the bourgeois. They have no interest in helping the proles. Their mission is to keep privatizing everything and creating monopolies to the point the future is going to be a cyber punk dystopia where Disney or google own everything and the actual government is weak and vestigial.

Oh and then will come the global warming to render the land inhospitable and infertile. mass starvation, chaos, death

OP here. This issue is somewhat relevant to me, which is partly why I posted it. I haven't made any "public" / social media declarations of this sort of thing because I'm skeptical of categories and portraying myself as a victim. But towards the end of last year I had decided to commit suicide early this year (a decision that was itself the result of years of self-neglect, unresolved anger, low self-worth etc). My response to this inner turmoil has been to radically reduce my demands on the outside world, while also attempting whenever possible to be kind to my family and to remind myself how fortunate I am (relative to various historic periods) to have the degree of freedom (political, economic etc) I do (even if said freedom is contributing to a degree to the modern malaise). I fear this has made me meek, overly humble, "defeated" etc but so be it I guess.

I haven't read it but I imagine "Ghosts of My Life: Writings on Depression, Hauntology and Lost Futures" is probably relevant too.

Wow, I had only heard of this guy recently when someone posted a tweet from Nick Land on here. Interesting book, I hope to read it. Thanks for posting.

Depression doesn't stem from lack of comfort. It stems from inadequacy. We buy processed GMO food sprayed with tons of pesticides. We rely on the police and army for security and defense, when these very people only work in the interests of the elite. Every crumb of data you produce is being sold or stolen in order to organize society into a machine-like entity, producing algorithms telling you what to buy, watch, do, or speak.

NOTHING is in our hands anymore. We are children to the system. Cut the power out, destroy the roads, and we will all die of thirst and starvation, or stabbed in the first days of looting because none of us is able to protect ourselves. Our own life isn't our responsability anymore.

>anything new (other than modern technological advancement)
That is pretty new

Depends on what types of mental health issues we're talking about.

If we're talking about depression, I'd say that it's not a meme nor identity branding as a whole, but, rather, an epidemic. It's a problem which is real and needs to be addressed. I can't say that it's related to identity, as, well, it's not out in the open enough for people to tack it onto themselves.

I don't have enough of a sample space to say, but if people are publicly and loudly saying they are/were depressed for no discernibly benign reason (normalising the issue or whatever), they're probably not depressed.

I won't lie though: I think a lot of people ruin the issue. They either lie or exaggerate the problems and use them as social devices. It's dependent-individualism. relying on others to not be the same as them, rather than being individuals by virtue of being themselves, whoever that may be.

You don't NEED to say anything, user. If it helps, say it. If it might help, say it a bit quieter. Just figure out what'll help, and do that. If you can say, on an anonymous board (and Veeky Forums at that), that you were suffering from mental illness, you probably were.

Millennials have figured out that you get a free ride if you pretend to be disabled/mentally ill/oppressed/whatever.

Stop making excuses for them. Their behaviour is nothing but parasitic.

It's not that there are mental issues versus normal functioning minds. The "normal mind" is just as much of a fiction as the illnessess, that doesn't mean to say they are false, or that the symptoms are not there, just that this question itself is not simply a medical issue.

To psychoanalysis, there is no time in history that is particularly special, but each moment brings a specific way of suffering, an unique way to talk about the issues we are facing. In our times, enjoyment itself has become a demand, happiness is a rule to measure how much of our life is worth. People are not just sad, they think they ought not to be sad and thus, it doubles the sadness, this recursiveness is at the core of anxiety. Since we have "everything at our hands", we cannot blame the world for our problems, but we haven't learned how to deal with problems without blaming someone, so we blame ourselves. In other words, if we "could be everything we wanted" but then we aren't, that would mean there is something wrong with us.

On the other hand, the way we express ourselves or rather how the message comes accross has been completely changed by the fact that our messages reach everyone, including those (mostly those) who do not share the same universe of words as you. An SJW can read the content of /pol/ and /pol/ can share tumblr posts and they'll hate each other, traditional news media will be charged for whatever position they take, academic papers will be read by layman (even if indirectly, say a simplified news about a scientific discovery). That is to say, not only we notice the points of conflict, but we raise the volume of our voice in desperation over "the other's power", we end up becoming what the other fears about us. The general tone is "yes, you heard it right, that's exactly who I am and just accept it", both a racist and a sjw can relate to this one, political stance or any other. There is always an annoying atheist on evangelical forums, always someone preaching about something where it was not called for and there is always this sense that somewhere there is someone saying something very stupid and that we must counter by "shouting" ourselves in order to survive. People actually think they are doing something when they reply to Trump's tweets with their opinion.

That is a recipe for anxiety.

This isn't wrong but completely out of touch with the reality of society.
>Since we have "everything at our hands"
The only thing we have is the basic necessities and distractions required for the good functioning of society and the individual. Everything else that threatens the integrity of the system is violently reprimanded or demonized.

The real 'recipe' for anxiety and depression finds its ingredients in the creeping dehumanization of the invididual through the capitalization of labour. In other words, human obsolescence.

Lmao at all the pseuds in this thread extrapolating millennial mental health crisis with late stage capitalism. The problem is more simple and practical really, shitty diets, overmedicated, overstimulated, cynicism/nihilism/irony seen as a fashion statement and maybe a loss of cohesive societal sense of purpose (death of god)

I'll agree with you on the rest, but they surely were brainwashed with War on Terror propaganda (see /pol/ or any old forums from the mid-late 00's.)

>The only thing we have is the basic necessities and distractions required for the good functioning of society and the individual.

I don't think we have even that. That's also why I put it in quote marks, it's a feeling rather than a reality, but a real feeling nevertheless. You'll see ads for "great online courses" that you won't be getting, you'll see pictures of people at the beach or doing amazing stuff on your feed and feel you are missing out, not realizing those who aren't at the beach aren't posting pictures in the first place. That's what I mean with "everything at our hands", things are looking to be real close to us, from contact with celebrities, to the formation of niche groups of interest, but this contact is different from what one expects it to be (with outdated expectations).

The only purpose we have anymore is to take advantage of our fellow man and buy nice things.

I suppose that's why the West/East tensions exist; we want to have a common enemy to promote social cohesion, as we did in WWII.

What do you think anons? What is our purpose any more? Should we look to the stars?

>keep our pyramid scheme going you brats!

boomers get fucked

>shitty diets, overmedicated, overstimulated, cynicism, death of god
So basically late stage capitalism.

For someone complaining of extrapolating stuff, you extrapolate so much so yourself all the way to god.

Not that I think you're wrong, but all of those things you said AND late capitalism AND all of the other reasons anons are bringing about are real parts of the issue, imo.

check out twelve stories, franny and zooey, raise high the roofbeam carpenters, and seymour an introduction by j.d. salinger

t. Millenial

What dreck.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious about the stars comment but I imagine plenty of people are sincerely hyped about that and world World weariness (literally) will become more prevalent as people yearn for a collective aim towards which to lend their strength (their own part played merely by espousing le epic science).

The West / East tension has been ongoing for centuries in various forms and to varying degrees, so it itself is not novel though its contemporary form may be relevant. And common enemies have also always existed in the form of Othering (a term I'm using carefully) and propaganda etc.

As for collective purpose, it is clear to me that the West is suffering from a form of sickness which compels large numbers of its citizens, or at least their most vocal representatives, to actively encourage the replacement of native populations via mass immigration (and the normalizing of such a process via the destruction of terms such as "native" and "white"). They also encourage feelings of collective guilt either due to past events (slavery, colonialism etc) or due a lack of perceived empathy and humanitarianism today (not taking enough "refugees", not providing enough support to Africa, etc). Expressing today that you believe the majority of your capital city should be natives of your country, or that someone whose family have lived in your country for centuries is just as much a citizen as a Nigerian handed a passport fresh off the boat, etc, is cause enough to have you dismissed from a job or otherwise ridiculed by the consensus bearers. The mantra today appears to be: "Apologize! Give up! Keep your mouth shut!"

when in doubt, read Plato.

Technology was a mistake. It has enabled some of the worst thoughts and ideas to ever plague mankind. Confronted with the ability to communicate as never before we didn't stop and ask if we should, the psychological ramifications have up ended normality itself and I truly believe doomed mankind in perpetuity. People are unhappy because they lead unnatural lives.

meme

>wanting to be a hunter-gatherer

Nope. Technology is accelerating evolution even as we speak.

Why? Because it encourages the weak to stay inside their shells, never develop social skills, and avoid interaction with the real world. Which means they will never reproduce.

They are also the first to see the horrific consequences of cultural Marxist social engineering and mass immigration first hand.

>Everything else that threatens the integrity of the system is violently reprimanded or demonized.

ok, go ahead and name those things that are "violently reprimanded or demonized"

>>wanting to be a hunter-gatherer
I never said that, but it's not hard to understand that because something is new it develops without adequate control or foresight. That's a real problem in the realm of vast spanning technology like the internet, the effect of this lack of control or forethought spreads further than it ever could before. This doesn't mean innovation itself is the enemy, only that it is and has been dangerous.

You don't need to want to revert to some agrarian society to understand constant over stimulation as we know it is damaging to people. We did not evolve where such a thing was possible. I mean all of this chiefly from a psychological perspective, no-one thinks advertising works on them but just awareness of a thing affects you and today billions of people are affected in ways they are totally unaware of. Let that sink in.

t. knows nothing about evolution or human psychology

get off Veeky Forums then you faggot

Not that user but anyone who thinks a state in the US could secede is regarded as insane, that's not hyperbole, if you genuinely believe such and vocalize it people look at you as though you're a psychotic. That sort of thinking, if it were around in the 18th century, would have made the very formation of the United States impossible. People have an unnatural respect for authority and very poor esteem for personal agency.

I would feel bad for them, but they also pretty much invented this horrifying reddit culture we live in now, so they can suck my dick.

Veeky Forums isn't the Matrix user, there's no escape from the kind of thing I describe. It completely saturates our society and is rewriting everything from the culture to our actual physiology. It's not just what you should think that is changing, it's what people can think. This is one of those nuances best captured by something like 1984, where language itself is being edited to fundamentally restrict expression.

>p-people will look at me funny

give me a fucking break

>Not that user but anyone who thinks a state in the US could secede is regarded as insane
Same in the UK with Brexit. Those who voted to leave were seen as misled idiots in the media.

It goes much deeper than that though, the very same people who parrot the virtue of democracy as absolute find the idea of actually exercising it lunacy. Do you understand? Ideas themselves are abstracted, dissonance like that is only possible when ideology is reified instead of logic or understanding. This sort of shit is everywhere, from the arbitrariness of political affiliation to the budding and perverse distrust of science. In a way it's a return to theism through nihilism, people believe without understanding, the iphone is just one of many new gods today.

Not going to school is a prime example. Education's main goal is turn people into docile functionning members of society. School is mandatory in almost every first world country.

This is absolutely wrong. It is not accelerating anything, it simply changed who gets to reproduce. If your idea of an alpha male is one who conforms, goes to school, gets a diploma, secures a good job and has kids, then you better catch up on evolutionary bio. The entire point of civilization was switching from an evolutionary ideal to an other. Back when people were hunter gatherers, only a few select individuals in a tribe bedded the majority of women. Civilization/Agriculture marks the departure from this mode of evolution to another monogamist one, where almost everyone could secure a wife and guarantee the continuation of his genes. Talking about alpha males today is ludicrous. Alpha males were driven out by newer evolutionary and cultural standards thousands of years ago.

Why would /pol/ support Brexit? Leave was a workers movement.

We live in times of unprecedented liberty, that you could hardly have in any other system, where any fuckhead can go to a used bookstore and buy whatever piece of communist, anarchist, fascist or nazist literature he wants. He can then set-up his own website promoting his ideas and even preserve anonymity. Yet I have to read imbecilities such as "everything that threatens the integrity of the system is violently reprimanded or demonized".

People are free buy said literature precisely because it is impotent. The door is open, but you're still in a prison. And you're there because you don't think it is one, since the door is open. You've missed the point entirely.

Look at yourself, you automatically suggest this kind of thing is imbecilic. You're defending the system without even knowing it, and that's part of the system. You aren't some gestapo government agent, the indoctrination here is your life itself.

Boycotting is illegal in many first world countries. Where is the harm in boycotting a brand? It certainly harms the economy and corporation power, but not individuals. Not going to school is punishable by law. Uneducated people tend to commit more crimes, so we decided that everyone MUST conform and give their first 16 years of life in order to have more peaceful citizens. There are laws regarding 'Loitering' in the states, which basically mean that an individual cannot hang out with his friends anywhere he seems fit, so that he MUST consume whenever he goes 'out'.

This is .01% of it all. I'm baffled than some people don't realize such obvious matters. What are laws?? What are governments?? What are institutions, borders etc..?? The point is that they exist, not that they're right or wrong. But their existence makes a very clear point.

And yet I don't see any communist, anarchist, fascist, or nazi revolutions or movements that threaten the society which as you say enables them...strange isn't it?

Psychology, Catholicism and Scientology are all different flavors of the same state cult.
The fact that a psychologist can have you indefinitely detained is a big clue.
Priest=Auditor=Analyst
Demon=Engram=Complex
Soul=Thetan=Consciousness
Heretic=Suppressive Person=Toxic Person

Righteousness=Clear=Mental Health

It's all competing brands of cola

>You're defending the system without even knowing it

Wrong. I defend whatever you call "the system" fully knowing it. You got nothing better to offer.

You're suggesting you are consciously defending your ideology? That's a contradiction in itself friend.

>This is absolutely wrong. It is not accelerating anything, it simply changed who gets to reproduce.
Human evolution has never known so many shut-ins, para-sexuals, schizoids or other non-reproducing dead-enders. People are opting out of the evolutionary stakes in their thousands. They are voluntarily removing their weaknesses from the gene pool.

Life got too easy.
Kids are growing up and aren't working hard with there parents to keep the household afloat. As a consequence, many people don't develop a sense of meaning and self-worth. couple that with social media which is an IV injection of insecurity and identity issues and of course you have a depression epidemic among the millennials

REQUIRED READING ON MILLENIALS:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2014/05/cyberbll.html

Evolution has no goal. This weakness you describe is relevant to the current organization of nature/society. The very same people you describe as weak parasexual schizoids however are the same people who were extremely valuable in prior organizations of nature/society. Intelligence itself is being selected against, you realize....

That's because people mostly prefer "the system" over revolutions. If someone yells that we should implement land collectivization for the 10th time in the last century and some stranger calls them a moron, maybe it's not "the system"'s fault, maybe they're really morons.

>the problem is kids don't want to work
The majority of jobs that exist have no reason to. The problem is that people are taught to work these meaningless jobs.

Neat. I'm physically smallish, but above average intelligent with a mean competitive streak. Guess that's why I'm about to get traditionally married at 25 and start impregnating my wife so I can raise quality children in a stable home environment.

>if you disagree with how things are you must be Pol Pot
You sound like a reasonable human being endowed with free will.

who are you to say what jobs have a reason to exist?

This assumes intelligence is quantified so simplistically to mean what it did in imperial europe.
It's like saying ants are stupid. A soldier ant might be, but ants as a unit have been around for a geologic period of time and will be here after we nuke ourselves to ash.
Ants have agriculture, public works, and every facet of civilization that we do. Only they've genetically engineered themselves to be able to do it without a bunch of machines that rely on combustion of petrochemicals or radioactive materials to keep going.
Hopefully, CRISPR/cas9 will be the beginning of such a bright future for our descendants.

>Evolution has no goal.
It's survival, you utter brainlet.

One of the reasons it is so easy is become children and adolescents are now key consumer demographics, perhaps even more so than their parents. In addition to factors such as erotic value being more highly prized than ever (due to non-monogamy and loneliness) the elderly are no longer really considered wise or figures of authority, but bed-blockers, out-of-date retards, boring embarrassing cultural outsiders and so forth. Which means that the youth are held in a a high regard never afforded their age group before, a power they embrace and use to continue to bash anything which resembles old age, including traditions, conservative wisdom, formal communication, boring careers, religion and so forth. But having done this and celebrated their supposed place atop the socio-cultural hierarchy they are then confronted with the full force of economic realities, which, having disposed of them and having no use for their lack of skills and work discipline, totally ignore them while the next generation of spoilt kids take their place in the limelight. What we are witnessing is a generation of prime consumers for whom the advertisements and the ideologies on sale are no longer offered to them precisely because they were and continue to be delusional carrots held up in front of the faces of over-confident, over-powerful, increasingly demanding and narcissistic kids who realize far too late that the old man who told them to learn a skill, settle down, develop love slowly rather than shop around for the ideal partner, and so on was the quiet voice they should have listened to. And I say that as a virgin.

if we only made what we "need" we would see very little technological advancement
the standard for what we "need" is constantly expanding because the baseline of human decency keeps rising
a few hundred years ago you would be arguing that all this medicine mumbo jumbo is a bunch of make-work designed to strip the lower classes of the fruits of their labor and prop up an artificial industry of doctors because lamo you don't "need" medicine
this is why capitalist countries invariably have a higher standard of living, because they are never satisfied with what is contemporarily considered sufficient for life.

Then welfare bums are highly evolved, they survive with minimal expenditure of energy and breed prolifically. And we know they have the genes to continue doing so even when the welfare is removed, because that's how they all got here from millennia past. Check and mate, Eichman.

Nah, pretty sure drug use and that sort of stuff is up in millennials, sex is down compared to boomers and social retardation is off the charts cause of technology

>comparing selfie bottle to antibiotics

That's boldly intellectually dishonest, my boy

imagine believing that an incidental pattern overlayed on top of a data set after the fact is indicative of an intentional attempt to move the data in the direction of the trend discovered
stick to the meme books, kiddo, leave science to adults

>who are you to say what jobs have a reason to exist?
Well, allow me to try and explain with an example. There are states that have government contracts in America where factories produce things like a certain model of tank. The military does not use this model anymore. Every tank that is made is stored in a warehouse where its value further depreciates over time and then it is sold to whatever foreign nation will buy them at a loss compared against the cost to make and store them. This occurs because the elected representative of said state's political power since he refuses to lose said government contract because then it would surge unemployment in the district that elected him, and he would not get elected/reelected. This sort of thing is incredibly widespread.

Apart from the fact that many jobs serve no practical function at all, even more jobs have no reason to be done by people. Automation can and should replace cashiers for example, but this has similar problems of difficulty of adoption, the salient point here is that even though automation would in fact cost less and be better, it isn't done because of an immediate cost to particular persons because they need that job for that system, even though the system doesn't make sense. People could be artists, they could study what they want, the potential benefit of that is tremendous, but the immediate difficulties cause society to subsist at a loss of its own volition.

I will give one more example, JP Morgan Chase. The majority of their profits are made through fees and penalties. It's not made through some practical service, but through bureaucracy. The rules cannot reasonably be followed (they are made so, and that's why they are made) and the fees cannot be avoided because they are snuck in alongside unrelated but essential facets of the business.

if you're trying to imply that an analogy is an equals sign you might be the intellectually dishonest one

>Marx thought capitalism needed new markets to survive
>he was right
>he thought it was doomed and would run out of markets and die eventually
>instead we just make up new markets out of new markets we made up
>a brand name boot stomping on a human face, forever
top jej

Lots of business connected to the public sector are cancerous, that's why northerners hate Thatcher so much, she cut the subsidies to the mining industry, which was completely out-competed by Australia.
Now, lots of jobs shouldn't exist because people don't really "need" coca-cola but they choose to buy it anyway? Hope you aren't going in that direction.

or OR they’re all representations of same deep underlining states of the human experience? If you think those ideas aren’t far older than the state then you’re an uneducated fool.

Your analogy is bullshit tho, it doesn't even rate homespun southern simile status

This is a truism that has been applied by every older generation to every younger generation for all of modern history. "Kids have never had it so easy." "Back in my day..." I'm sympathetic but ultimately I don't really buy it. A shoddy workman blames his tools. The belief that social approval and increasing standards in material comfort is enough to make life's struggle worth it, that wasn't dreamed up by millennials. It's like a parent feeding their daughter nothing but pixie sticks and pizza and then yelling at her when she turns out to be a fat mess.

Drug use is down in millenials: economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/05/daily-chart-21

Probably xanax and painkillers are up though.

Houellebecq blames boomer liberalism, the consequent effects of which we are seeing today. He may be on to something

The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up.
t. based Keynes

>mass immigration
t. being so stupid you can't see your own stupidity
go to the early 1900s, try again

So where would you draw the line with technology hypothetically?

In reality it's unstoppable of course.

Houellebecq doesn't really cover millenials per se, as he represented the "Lonely Generation" in France which were defined by dull office jobs, consumerism, sexual liberation, loneliness and social breakdown. Of course his themes carry through, as do the themes of John Fowles who wrote The Collector in disgust at what he saw as irresponsible consumerism among the lower classes in the 1950s and 60s.

We truly need an /ourguy/ for the current generation, but to be honest if he does publish anything we're all too distracted and mentally fucked to bother reading it desu.

No, that's just ignorant of your part. It's like a good logical connection if you think of psychologists and priests like newspaper caricatures of themselves. Otherwise, no.

1) what is considered necessary for life is a set that grows apace with technological advancements
1.1) specifically, what is considered unnecessary and superfluous at one time, such as medicine once was, will eventually be considered an essential quality of humane living, such as medicine is now
2) technology improves over time in a capitalist society due to consumerism and a need for business to outdo each other in the market place
2.1) specifically, capitalist systems encourage development and propagation of what is currently considered superfluous in life, and also development of new superfluous technologies
3) [1+2] therefore what is considered necessary for life in a capitalist society is a (mostly) expanding set
4) [1.1+2.1] superfluous technologies created by capitalism can eventually translate into necessary ones, again, such as medicine did
caveat: this is not true for all superfluous technologies, only some of them

5) there is no such motive for technological advancement in a communist society
5.1) in fact there is motive against it, since what is considered superfluous today will be ignored by the communist society and never developed or propagated
6) [1+5] therefore what is considered necessary for life in a communist society is a (mostly) stagnant set
7) [3+6] assuming a purely capitalist world and a purely communist world, given enough time, no matter the starting state, eventually the standard of living in the capitalist world will outpace the standard of living in the communist world
7.1) communism, rather than freeing people from consumerism, actually locks them in chains of technological stagnation
aside: communist societies in competition with capitalist societies will continue technological development in a manner reminiscent of (but not exactly equivalent to) the space race, but in those cases the communist society is marching to the beat of a capitalist drum

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of selfie bottles, nor am I exactly sure what they are.

Now do you see how medicine is relevant?

wtf I LOVE communism now

replace communism with any word of your choosing, I'm only really concerned with the specific idea of superfluous technologies and their capacity to become necessary ones.

Are you a Ted fan? Don't lie!

*scrutinizes you*

>Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives

He sort of does in passing. I'm thinking of Bruno's son in The Elementary Particles and the young female characters his protagonists fall for. He seems to recognize the harm his own generation has inadvertently caused as a result of the damage done to them by their parents. As it happens, he himself is a borderline boomer (born in 1956).

It's too late to do anything, but it's nice to have an explanation. Anyone with any respect for evolution and psychology should consider the ramifications of things like advertising, consumerism, virtue signalling etc they are the prevailing morals of today are all a consequence of the same thing.

I once read something like the average person in the 1700s only consumed about 4lbs of sugar a year. For our not so distant ancestors it was much less than that. Today it's 150lbs and up. Today there is an obesity epidemic. There's also proof that sugar negatively affects long term cognitive function too. And who knows what else. The point here that human beings simply haven't evolved to be able to deal with a lot of what modern life provides. This is true not just physically in the case of sugar but psychologically as well.

brainlet marxists BTFO

What a pithy cunt

>Most equal period of the last 1000 years of human history is the start of WW1 till the end of WW2
>Boomers lived in the 50's and 60's, a society built on the back of a 1000 year enigma
>Hurr durr millenials have it easier

I wouldn't be so annoyed if they didn't act like they walked through hell.

Not that user, nor do I advocate neoliberalism, but I'm fully concious when I'm defending my ideology that I'm doing so on merely ideological grounds. If you're a nihilist or a hedonist, there's nothing wrong with just accepting the current system and just going to McDonalds every day for your dopamine fix. I might detest people like that, but c'est a vie.

Are there any books about blaming people born in arbitrary year designations instead of the bourgeoisie that actually controls and ruins everything and don't have a set age?

>Radical political action, radical as in "outside the frame" radical, the kind self-aggrandizing #OWS is incapable of, would be to demand Bernie Madoff be released, so that everyone would have to watch him in restaurants and hookers, an unignorable signal to the system and to yourself that things are not right. Not to settle for symbolism and scapegoats. But the media won't let this happen, they thrive on symbolism and scapegoats; and you won't let it happen as long as you can get an iphone.

>So the system encourages women like Hess to "critique the patriarchy" or "bring awareness" because it stands no chance of moving the money, let alone the power, and also the media gets a cut. Meanwhile men all over the place are left questioning why their opportunities are just as limited but their answer can't be a glass ceiling. "Maybe it's reverse sexism!" Maybe your media is no different than her media, we'll see what kind of sexism there is when the robots replace all of you. What is both obscene and astonishing in its power is that this distraction is foisted on Millennials by other Millennials, they're fighting for the other team, precisely because the immensely hard work of work can be avoided by hoping the problem is sexism. Hess is frantically fighting against-- whom? Cyberbullies? Frat guys? Stand up comedians? What are the results she expects from this fight? The fight is a symptom of neurosis, frantic energy as a defense against impotence, frantic energy as a defense against change. "Why am I in the top 20% of intelligence but I'm running the register at a store whose products I can't afford?" Because trolls are preventing women from earning a living online? "So it's Reddit's fault!"

Holy shit this is gold

Because everyone's too fat and pleasures to bother seriously. What a horror show. Don't be a Beta or Omega focused on the feelies and you'd be fine.