Read a “Best-Seller”

>Read a “Best-Seller”
>”Golly, this sure is awful! Heck, I could write a better book than this!”
>Sit down at my computer and write for an hour
>Read over what I have so far
>It’s shit

Every fucking time...

Awwwh don't worry Butters, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs was wonderful.

>he thinks the first draft is supposed to be good

A first draft should have something worth working on.

You can make an okay draft a great revision. You can’t make a shit draft anything but well edited shit.

You can still work off a shit first draft. You'll be scrapping it entirely, but it'll serve as a reference as to what not to do.

So are you telling me the only way to improve my writing is to WRITE MORE?

Keep practicing. You got to work on it for months and months and months , and years and years and years... And if it still sucks then blow your brains out.

This.
I can basically finish writing books in one day now.

You need to outline and start with themes and a climax in mind.

Do it as a hobby, my dude. I've written novel-length stuff that's just absolute garbage. I'm talking like 700 pages of one work and absolutely none of it was worthwhile.

Now, I write mostly erotic fiction and novellas. They're pretty okay at best, but I've improved with every passing year and eventually I'll have a work I actually enjoy reading and characters I feel sad for when misfortune befalls them and excited for them when they succeed.

Yes, that is exactly what user is telling you.

Potatoes legitimately are interesting though. They're part of the Columbian exchange that became a staple food in non native lands and purple sweet potatoes are the healthiest cheap staple food.

Should have said pic unrelated. I don't have a lot of Veeky Forums related stuff.

In any case, what garbage does Veeky Forums write in their free time? I do mostly fantastic noir and erotica, sometimes merged if I really want to have two characters bang.

I write sci-fi that if you were generous you’d call Pulp.

No substance, just heroes saving babes and fighting evil with giant robots and such

"purple sweet potatoes"
potatoes in general are the most healthy food there is
Grilled potatoes, with some ketchup, is all you need to survive.
>yfw MacDonalds is actually really healthy

Purple sweet potatoes have an insane amount of vitimin a/beta carotene. If you cool them they have a ton of resistant starch which you can't digest but is good for the gut microbiome. They are better than rice as a staple food because they are actually nutrient dense. The only good thing in brown rice is potassium.

imagine biting into these
with some Heinz Ketchup

You write the sort of prose that Barron Trump could illustrate.

And there's no shame in that.

At least the snake looks okay

The whole thing looks okay, what are you on about?

Butters only actually wrote the second one faggot

>t. has never written a book

>t. has never written anything

That sounds pretty rad, actually.

>Treating your characters as dolls rather than morals

Christ, no wonder you write such filth

yfw you realize the truly difficult part is story

the author merely serves to provide the editor with raw materials

What if I am my own editor?

Is 'good writing' subjective? What appeals to me may not appeal to you, and vice versa. How do you make the case when defending 'objectively good' writing?

People should write what they want to read.

out of the loop but is there a name for those type of images and where can I find more?