Thoughts on this man?

Thoughts on this man?

Other urls found in this thread:

spectator.co.uk/2018/01/the-curious-star-appeal-of-jordan-peterson/
youtube.com/watch?v=vsyZcKUP_-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Really seems to have a bee in his bonnet about 'postmodernists'.

Highly intelligent, very educated, extremely knowledgeable, incredibly good speaker. Doing gods work in the fight against marxism. Only people who dislike him are IYI university students who cant handle the fact that their entire belief system is a lie and they're the useful idiots in a conspiratorial subversive programe in the west.

He's not the messiah some people claim he is, but I think he is a wise man with interesting thoughts.

Hail Trump
Hail Our People
Hail Victory

I think you mean "claw on his ear".

This and his "Marxist identifying AI" have got me raising an eyebrow.

I don't like Marxism either but you can't start witch hunting people based of ideology otherwise you get some real fucked up scenarios presenting themselves.

Intellectual fraud funded by Big Kino to revitalize failing crustacean consumption in kinoplexes

As far as I know he stopped that because in the end it would do more bad than good and add to the polarization he is against.

is this really what he talks about? Why not Jew-hunting AI?

Voice of our generation

daddy

I mean in principle it's not that hard, just grab thousands of publicly available marxist texts, identify patterns, style, buzzwords, words that are avoided, and see if the writings of your target matches that profile.

I've watched a fuck-ton of his videos, probably 100+ hours in total and I've never heard of any Marxist-identifying A.I. Watch his stuff and interviews with him to make up your own mind.

(not that user)

I haven't seen enough of him to judge how committed he really is to pluralism, free thought, and critical thinking (I get the impression he would claim that, though). But giving him the benefit of the doubt, he won't ultimately succeed in having much impact because of people like
Ie no matter how reasonable what he says is, he's associated with some particularly stupid stuff and he won't really shake that off.

dad

The voice of our generation is more like "REEEEE IM OPPRESSED" and this guy came about a couple of years ago and has been adopting young men as their sons since.

Gee Bill I don't know we better have dozens of threads about him every day even though he has nothing to do with literature so I can figure out what I think

I think the person making that comment, referred to the website Peterson where marxist colleges and universities would be categorized so you could decide not to go to them.

But like I said, He stopped that idea because he was convinced that would add to the polarization.

You severely overrate dumps like this place by saying that. He's already had significant impact in Canada and he's just getting more and more of a household name by the week.

IT was a more recent thing that he only mentioned on his twitter as far as I can tell, he asked if people would want something like that to identify Marxist profs in their universities. I think he did a poll and it ended up siding with no, so he dropped it.

He collabed with one of his colleagues on it and apparently they have the program but just aren't releasing it.

He claims to have received quite a lot of feedback from far right and alt right people that realized they where also contributing to the problem and pulled them to center.

He believes that if you speak the truth you'll end up at the right place. He'll let the chips fall where they may.

Are you kidding me, Jordan?

Cats are nice.

have you tried it?

yeah wtf you should kick the shit out of every stray cat to assert your superiority in the dominance hierarchy

It's not just here though. Stupidity is on the march all over the place. You'll see plenty all over Facebook, for example.

I could easily be wrong, of course. But I do feel that the cultural moment that's made him notable is not actually one that's interested in real critical thought. It's much more about screaming at the opposite side online, and he seems to have very much been adopted by one side.

don't feel like being bitten by a stray trash-eating disease-ridden cat

well maybe that will save you from the chaos in your life user who knows?

I don't know about that, I used to be your average redditor: leftist with a high education, miserable about my life, miserable with the few women I'd had, atheist, thought I knew more than everyone else I met and I hated everyone including myself, smoking weed almost out of spite. Jordan has literally pulled me out of that depressed bullshit hole I existed in and without him I don't think I would have been any different at all today. Of course I'm just a guy on the Internet, but if you're willing to take my word for it, that's the truth. I live in Sweden and I'm considering going to Vancouver just to see his discussion with Sam Harris this summer.

But why is that a rule? Or even relevant enough to mention?

but in all seriousness i suffer from the same thought process. perhaps there is something to the idea that petting a stray cat can change you. I've been thinking lately about how i treat everyone around me as if they could be wasting my time and that has hurt my relationships and put my friends into the stressful mindset that they're not worthy of my time or maybe anyone else's time. Perhaps petting a stray cat is like giving your friends and the rest of the world a chance, showing you that every moment of your life deserves attention and you can find beauty in it.

>I've watched a fuck-ton of his videos, probably 100+ hours in total

I don't see what's so bad about that? There's people who will play 1,000 hours of CS:GO in one year, why can't a nigga watch Jordan B. Peterson for 100 hours in two?

>tumblr

Because the person who play 1000 hours does so for entertainment and not religious devotion to an old greedy fuck who tells him to clean his room for 50 bucks

I haven't paid Jordan a dime out of my own wallet, it's all entirely free to anyone to watch and listen to. In addition to providing so much free information, even before he was made famous by his enemies, he's risked losing his job and stood in the line of fire of the authoritarian left for standing up for what he knows is right. You're acting like he's making a quick buck when nothing could be further from the truth. If you had actually taken the time to listen to what he has to say, you might have learned something instead of pretending to know in front of everyone to see, making a fool out of yourself.

you think his listeners aren't enjoying themselves listening? do you think people who go to church see any value in going to church? do you see both as brainwashing?

Peterson is not a subscription service, user. His lectures are on YouTube and Maps of Meaning is a free download. His biblical series is >30 hours on its own.

It's literally impossible to browse Veeky Forums and never have stumbled over these people with a religious devotion to him.

Really? All I ever see on Veeky Forums is religious devotion to hating him, which is why posting his picture with an innocuous question is all you have to do to create a 300-post uproar.

please explain how a religious devotion to this dude is harmful

wow..

Read his hagiography of him today: spectator.co.uk/2018/01/the-curious-star-appeal-of-jordan-peterson/

It's a bit embarrassing how gushing it is, but there are some nice turns of phrase.
>He demonstrated...that an emotional person need not be a wreck and that a man with a heart can also have a spine.

I don't really get the Peterson cult, though. I don't find him a very interesting speaker and I don't think his ideas are especially groundbreaking.

I don't hate him. I hate having to see 20 threads a day of some desperate neet talking about le roomcleaner father figure man talking about stuff on youtube, on a literature board written in the most smug and deluded manner.

no please explain lol, does it leave his viewers worse off than if they hadn't found him? imagine 2 trajectories: one where user plays CS:GO for 10 hours a week, another where user listens to Peterson for 3-6 hours a week. What do you think the different outcomes are?

The second one will spend 50 dollars on his personality test and use words like "the unsorted out" to stroke his ego which ironically will keep him from actually fixing his life.

I'm not saying listening to him is bad. I'm saying if you're devoted enough to attempt to convert a literature board to his cult and unable to see errors in him it's bad.

charlatan
shill
takes advantage of the slew of internet obsessed manchildren shat out of the tail end of the 20th century

lol jung

bigger meme than zizek

Not very good at speaking or presenting.
Not very good at writing (terrible).
That channel 4(?) interview just made me cringe the whole time.
That said, he completely stole Ben Stiller's market, dunno what to think about that.

i'm with you on the thread count per day, he is talked about way too much on this board and it seems the content of his lectures is becoming extremely repetitive. the meme will die out, just be patient for now i guess

>10 hours a week
>~1.5 hours per day
Oh no, the humanity, what would happen if we indulged in simple pleasure for an hour or so per day.
>listens to Peterson for 3-6 hours a week
They'd turn into a neo puritan who goes through a pseudo-improvement phase and the outcome is just the same person with no self reflection besides believing it happened. And they'd somehow read the bible as a sort of counter-culture thing.

That part weirds me out, how come being religious is considered counter-cultural when religion in its different forms is still dominant in all the world.

Outside his psychological deconstruction of Genesis/mythology at large in Maps of Meaning, most of what he's saying isn't groundbreaking. Rather what the strange thing is is that it's a sign of the times that him speaking basic truths is perceived as stirring the pot with the intent to cause outrage and be a provocateur; that he would be slandered for saying personal liberty at the expense of inevitably offending some people is what we should strive for, not the opposite, and creates an unnecessarily egregious commotion about him because self-entitled brats feel otherwise (and this further creates a media shitstorm) is a signal of how polarized the two camps in society have become toward one another. His message is that we ought to figure this problem out (and curiously we can only do that by TALKING and risking offending someone, thus another reason not to go around policing each other's speech), and how might we do that?, because this polarization is getting ready to boil over, and the longer it remains unreconciled then the worse the eruption of these internal tensions into external expression is going to be. Therefore: stop blaming other people, take responsibility for yourself, "clean your room" (which is both figurative and literal as much as it's only treated literally), etc. No, his message is not groundbreaking. What's startling is the fact that what he's saying even needs to be said, but then people gravitate towards him because he's the only one saying it, the only one speaking out against this psychological conflict that's brimming on the horizon.

Peterson is not going to do much for whites who already understand the jewish question. That's not his audience. His audience is white people who are skeptical of jewish ideologies that have been academically enshrined but who aren't yet able to wrap their heads around the jewish involvement in those things. Peterson is entry-level for whites, but overall a positive step in the right direction.

I think religion very counter-cultural in college and in a lot of workplaces (i'm a programmer and everybody is a fedora). The vast majority of city-dwellers think religion is a huge joke (a la The God Delusion). Can you really be sure that the Peterson follower won't go through a true improvement phase? I think some people will actually improve themselves and try to set themselves to a life purpose, but hey maybe they would have done that anyway while they were growing older.

Then go read MoM so you can discuss it.

The discussions are not about his book and you know that.

its a metaphor,stop by and take in the smaller,more silly pleasures of life,once in a while

Because nobody has read it. Otherwise you can vote with your post and encourage others to do likewise, because all you're doing is bolstering the appeal of this type of low-hanging fruit thread to continue perpetuating for people who want to create a 300-post thread and get a dopamine hit with no effort. It's just the hot meme right now, but memes are only hot as long as they attract attention. After that they're just quaint references.

I agree with you.

Consider caffeine, I hear it boosts mental ability.

/thread

Just answer the question faggot

DOWNVOTE PETERSON
DOWNVOTE PETERSON
REEEEEE

Interesting guy. Says some pretty obvious things that sad weird young men should have learned/observed from their fathers.

>be Jordan Memerson
>want to make a lot of $$$ and gain notoriety quickly
>perform the brave, heroic act of refusing to use someone's gender pronouns
>get worshiped as a hero by autists on the internet for whining about a letter he received from the school's faculty
>never receive any actual death threats, never have his life threatened, never actually get censored, never get imprisoned, never even get fired from his job
>simply whining about gender pronouns and being a professor of psychology is enough to be labelled a martyr for free speech by gullible anti-SJWs on the internet who desperately want an authority figure to affirm their whining
>whine about postmodernism and the cultural marxist boogeyman, even though postmodernism is a massive, broad subject never cite any actual literature or works or books by postmodernist authors or the Frankfurts, just say "they're all dumb guys trust me" like a true academic while occasionally namedropping Foucault or Derrida without actually addressing any of their arguments
>give the anti-SJWs you conned an imaginary enemy to blame all their problems on, while posing yourself as a hero when you've done jack shit and ironically whine about virtue signalling in academia while proposing no actual solutions to the postmodernist boogeyman
>fearmonger about a Canadian bill that you didn't even bother reading that was just a slight modification of a previous human rights bill that has already been in effect for decades, only it added "gender identity" to the list of criteria that you can't discriminate someone for and doesn't even affect universities because it only has federal jurisdiction
>virtue signal about how you would go on a hunger strike if you were arrested because of this bill, even though to this day no one has been arrested because of it and there isn't a single shred of evidence in the legislation or court records suggesting that would happen
>claim that a disgruntled twitter employee deleting trump's account is treason, then delete your tweet when everyone calls you out
>make 65k US dollars a month on Patreon from gullible morons who think you're brilliant for making glorified vlogs that spout Jungian purple prose, whine about children's movies being feminist propaganda and make vague, whiny criticisms of postmodernism that isn't backed by any actual evidence
Ah yes we have a true """intellectual""" on our hands.

Why don't you do it, autist?

he just wants to help and does good with people that had no guidance in life and fucked up

I see nothing wrong with this, he's a humble guy trying to better the world by dumbing down things

how can you hate this, I don't understand

And charge you 50 bucks for it. And ask desperate (in the literal sense), neets to give him free money on Patreon.

>how can you hate this, I don't understand
yeah it's really hard to hate that strawman you constructed

>look mom I posted it again!

he has over 500 hours of free material + his books available online, you literal retard

I listened to few of his talks on youtube, got great insight into things that my dad/mom should teach me years ago and realized how to have a better outlook and be more positive, also got interested in books

I've became a better man since then, fuck me right for listening to this strawman while nobody taught me shit in life and how to have a better outlook on it?

I get what you two mean, but he is a honest man trying to better the world and I'm sure a lot of millenials (including me in my early 20s) have problems that Peterson explains and finds solutions to quite simply and short

I think Veeky Forums doesn't realize how fucked up the youth is and the lack of parenthood most of us recieved and only now realized

All of that is true though.

So you agree that him charging 50 bucks for a personality test targeted at depressed and desperate neets is greedy?

>I think Veeky Forums doesn't realize how fucked up the youth is and the lack of parenthood most of us recieved and only now realized
I think that is all well and right yet not the reason some guy posts 20 threads a day mocking people who are annoyed as "unsorted out".
If you think he actually can help people don't participate in turning him into this cringey meme.

I don't even know about 50$ personality test that he has, but I'm sure it's benefitial to those who feel they need it and have learned things from Peterson.

50$ is a dinner with your gf or a night outside with your friends, I'm pretty sure if you think you need this test it will do more good than both of those things combined

I just stumbled upon this thread and told what I got from him, didn't even read the thread.

I know he has become sort of a meme, but that's really nothing you can do about after you become popular

I had to check -- it's $9.95.

>fuck me right
yes, fuck you for constructing a strawman and creating a fantasy that people disagree with him "trying to make people better"
if that's what he taught you to do then he didn't make you better, he made you a weaselly shit

the third memearrow already contains a false claim

nah, he didn't taught me to think that he is a saint

he just threw out few ideas and possible solutions to my problems that clicked and resonated with me the second he put them into words

If you gave me the same words on paper by Hitler I'd agree, but it just happens to be Peterson

>some guy posts 20 threads a day mocking people who are annoyed as "unsorted out".
most peterson threads are started by detractors looking for easy (you)s

>how come being religious is considered counter-cultural when religion in its different forms is still dominant in all the world
>in all the world
There's your problem.
It's not counter cultural to be religious in Saudi Arabia. But it's the opposite in places like Australia, Canada and Germany. Because religion gets shat on by the main culture. I can't speak for Americans, because to me it seems like they have it a little better than us religious folk in other first world countries.
Here in Australia, the number of atheists are constantly rising, and even of those who put some Christian denomination on the census, very few actually attend church or are strictly religious in any sense.

I cleaned up my room and tried to save my dad by telling him why Trump is good for the world but it ended up splitting us even further apart.

Saving your father is figurative. Culture is regarded as a patriarchal inheritance ("society of men", the sacred rites, coming of age initation of boyhood into manhood; and all the teachings that come with it) in the analysis of religious custom. A culture that never grows or expands it's knowledge becomes inherently afraid of such changes and thus risks becoming totalitarian to maintain absolute adherence to former tradition (Peterson uses the example of, disregarding the anthropomorphicism if you will, a mouse scared of the world building great walls around itself to protect itself; but in doing so and not facing the dangers of the unknown [chaos] and transcending them [creating order], it becomes weaker; then the walls have to be made even bigger because if something does penetrate them it will be even more devastating, and in creating even bigger walls you shrink ever more until you become a complete and total weakling afraid of any change and therefore must use absolute rule to prevent change from upsetting the now highly fragile balance). Therefore, you must rescue your father (cultural inheritance) from the belly of the whale (stratification as just was outlined) in order to properly face the challenges the disordered world will pose you, in order to transcend the fragility of being and become truly strong and capable of facing your fears head-on. This is not even his idea, as always, but is simply his articulation of it according to our modern modality. An early example of this ancient motif would be Perseus descending into the underworld to slay Medusa, and the reward for having faced such a great terror being a newfound knowledge or ability (Medusa's head, albeit weaponized to defeat your enemies) that enhances your strength (cultural knowledge, let's say to analogize it) to face new challenges head-on and without a need to fear.

Now this is very simplistic and definitely artiulated erronously but it's more-or-less the jist of encountering the unknown and making it known to strengthen yourself, which will in-turn (if everybody rose up to the challenge) strengthen your civilization as a whole. You can learn any of this and more from mythological deconstruction along the lines of Jung, Neumann, and even Peterson who is somewhat a derivative of the two.

(And hopefully this explanation is demonstrative of how Peterson is not actually a staunch le-far-alt-right traditionalist as detractors might like to ascribe him.)

>Can you really be sure that the Peterson follower won't go through a true improvement phase?
Like you said, it may be the right trigger towards improvement for some people, but since it has now become somewhat of a household name for a certain group of people, tend by naturalization of the group, it becomes so homogeneous that it self identifies as the winning or righteous group, self congratulatory so to speak. Maybe someone not in touch with this may see the light or whatever, but by now I would doubt it. Still, on a personal opinion level since I don't agree with many of his' views, I'd rather have people find other goals.

>But it's the opposite in places like Australia, Canada and Germany. Because religion gets shat on by the main culture.
While info does show that religiousness is decreasing in developed countries, especially those part of the western kind of world, overall it's still high. Germany is a special case imo, I live there. Part of the lack of it comes down to the eastern (soviet era) cultural influence, so in east germany atheism is pretty high, something like 60%. While in the west it goes down drastically though, at 30% ish or so.

Still my point is that while certain parts do have a very high tendency towards atheism or at least agnosticism, the overall point of view even in developed countries is that of a religious one.
Many voting issues that come up have a high impact of religious ideology, even coming from atheist people. I.e. even though atheists themselves, their ideology is one formed through the christian-like values.

As an atheist myself I just don't see this kind of "persecution" that I've seen claimed on the internet, but I'm probably very biased.

what he says should be common knowledge

>It's literally
Yeah, we don't need you.

Well said

i this a new form of dabbing?

Maybe if we stop having constant threads created about him you would see how little Veeky Forums actually cares

0.03 cents have been deposited into your Lobster account

he could make the fucking test free if he is going to charge for the courses you are supposed to take after it
whats the logic behind that? pay for this test that will tell you if you need to pay for my courses?

I am like you, however what I was "saved" by was a constant string of tragic events that disrupted the dynamics of my family and social circles over half a decade of my adult life, coupled with my own nature not allowing me to feel resentment and instead looking internally and to literature to seek out relevant truths. I enjoy DJP and I can see that the reason he helps a lot of individuals out, especially young men with a similar relationship to society as I had, is that he expounds on principles of emotional/spiritual self-reliance and masculine self-improvement that are untaught and unvalued by popular culture. He's like a mix of Stoic philosopher, Christian scout leader, and calm secular father figure that hits that role lacking in a lot of Western men's lives.

*Loses a debate to an antinatalist*

youtube.com/watch?v=vsyZcKUP_-k

JUST

I am

And you are 100% dead on to say people from decent homes do not realize how absolutely fucked a sizable and growing minority of youths have had it. After working with kids and volunteering at a camp program for children who have a parent in jail, I am so appreciative of the stable farming family I grew up in. There was an instance a coworker told me about supporting an eleven year old girl (I know the kid too but wasn't there to hear this moment) who was just bent out of shape one evening and not calming down.

"I'm angry" she would tell my coworker.

"Well, I can't help you unless you tell me why you're angry, then I can try to do something about it."

The kid looked at her, exasperated, and said candidly, "I'm angry because I'm thinking about the fact my father murdered my mother."

She was a nice kid for the most part, too. She was probably 9 or so when she experienced that murder. That's something I think about fairly often.

how did he lose? He wiped the floor with Benatar

That may be nice and all, but that still doesn't make his thoughts on anything else other than self-help shit more relevant. Shill him on /r9k/ if you must, just not here

I think the biggest, most practical antinatalist argument you can give (which Benatar couldn't get to because Peterson played his usual argumentative language game) is that unless you have demigod polymath genetics you are substantially making the world a better place by adopting instead of adding more people