-I Enjoy touching my penis
-Playboy

>43
>wipe my ass with salinger
>how to win friends and influence people

>23
>The Voyage Out
>Have barely read any of the Greeks

I tell people Moby-Dick is my favorite book, but I have actually only read half of it. I say this because it was at a sentimental time in my life, and I read 300 pages over the course of only two or three days and then the book got destroyed, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it. I almost have a romantic notion about never finishing it, so that in my mind it will never truly be over.
Anna Karenina

>20
>been posting here for years and only read 4 books
>

I'm going to university in March and I cannot wait
Proust's Swann's Way

>20
>Don't like Pynchon
>Stoner

That's a better relationship to have with a book then someone finishing a book because they feel like they have to or because they think it makes them smart and then lying to themselves about liking it. That's the more typical relationship people have to classics.

>22
>I read only 1 book during the ages 13-20
>reading the chronicles of corum

>18
>Proust's Swann's Way
You'll have to reread it

>32
>almost exclusively read martin amis books when I was younger
>Invitation to a Beheading

>26
>have "read" most of the Veeky Forums top books, but I gave up about 25-50% the way through. In my defense, I read a ton of secondary lit for most of them to the point where I got the gist of the messages/analyses, the plot was spoiled, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the prose I mainly read for the messages, to hopefully cure my existential crisis, which some books successfully have. I did finish all of Dubliners, Portrait and almost all of Ulysses though.
>Anna Karenina, which I really do intent on finishing because it's my first Tolstoy and so many other writers I love speak so highly of Tolstoy and Anna Karenina

>21
>I think the lovecraft hate train is overrated
>The Possessed

That's true of every great book regardless of the age you read it at, pseud.

>23
>couldn't understand GR
>reading Aurielius's Meditations

That's a good one.

>25
>I don't want to read the Greeks
>Candide

kys

>28
>I love JD Salinger, specifically Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters, and Franny and Zooey.
>White Fang (collected works of Jack London)

>23
>disliked most of the American classics I read (To Kill a Mockingbird, On the Road, Portrait of a Lady, Red Badge of Courage, Scarlet Letter, White Noise, Beloved, Counterlife, Huckleberry Finn, others I don't remember). Gatsby and The Sun Also Rises were great though. Sanctuary and Catcher In the Rye were ok.
>Ignorance by Kundera

> 21
> hated reading as a kid/teen only read encyclopedias and manga now a lit major
> brave new world

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

Life is a constant hell. No wonder I resent women too.

>23
>Been trying to read Moby Dick for years but I can't read a page without thinking about Queequeg's throbbing black cock waving in the sea breeze.
>Gravity's Rainbow, because Veeky Forums told me to.

>23
>I am an absolute brainlet who sucks at picking up literary devices and meanings
>A day in the life of ivan danisovich

Ill get better tho (hopefully)

>24
>Stopped playing video games for awhe because they started to feel like work but just got pulled back into them by starting Bloodborne
>The Faerie Qveene

>Been trying to read Moby Dick for years but I can't read a page without thinking about Queequeg's throbbing black cock waving in the sea breeze.
That’s how it’s meant to be read.

>24
>Sometimes I read comicbooks on /co/
>The Odyssey

>18
>haven't read a book in six months
>the raven boys
how the fuck do you guys read books for enjoyment?
i can only read textbooks these days

A majority of lit appreciates lovecraft, it’s just a few autists posting MUH NON-EUCLIDIAN GEOMETRY threads everyday.

why is no one talking about those prime feets?

Try not reading garbage.

the raven boys is good though.

Stop reading books for enjoyment, like that YA piece of trash

>stop reading books for enjoyment
such a dumb thing to say.
also

Yeah, what are you reading books for if not enjoyment? Knowledge? They're a terrible medium for that. Lectures and movies are infinitely superior for that.

>movies
>infinitely superior for knowledge
Stop.

>Lectures
>infinitely superior

>33
> I didn't care for the Brothers Karamazov
> Darth Plagueis

most people aren't into feet

>t. Manchild

>24
>Jane Austen is garbage
>LoveStar

I only listen to audiobooks; real books put me to sleep
The Brothers Karamazov

The problem with audio books is that the circuitry in your brain that processes information is only about 15% as strong for audio information as it is for visual. So actually looking at the words increases retention by vast amounts - well that's the scientific argument.

There is also a metaphysical argument that written words are actually infused with power and physical books have a sort of "magic" power to them. (See : anything Alan Moore has ever said)

Well anyways actual reading is better than listening, but listening is better than nothing.

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov - good choice.

Which Veeky Forumsfu has the best feet?

>19
>im a pseudcuck who thinks kindles/ebooks are inferior
> i got a rotation of Ulysses, a biography of Deleuze and Guattari, The History of Sexuality vol.1, Madness and Civ., and TBK

>Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

>24
>I don't feel guilty avoiding/abandoning books for shallow reasons because there are so many books out there that I'll never run out of reading material
>Un roi sans divertissement

>19
>Exposure to pre-Pomo lit is minimal
>The Sot-Weed Factor (amazing)

you’re such a faggot its exacerbating my headache

buddy if this is your life at 43 you might as well consider ending things early

this is good

That sounds like an amazing party and these women are too stuck up and buzzkilly.

What is a shallow reason to abandon a book?

this post made me laugh

>18
>90% of literature written before 1800 is boring for me
>Tropic of Cancer/Capital

>24
>I'm afraid of long novels and the longest book I've read was 700 pages long
>I'm finished with Auterlitz, moving on to A Tale of Two Cities or 2666

>22
>Literature is plagued with a cancerous culture of pseudo-intellectualism revolving around philosophy. Can't we just read for entertainment?

>Rendezvous with Rama

>32
>i've been writing snuff/necrophilia erotic short stories recently
>Fires by Raymond Carver

I avoid reading certain authors because I read somewhere that they acted like assholes at book signings.

>18
>I decided to study comp sci because my parents didn't want me to get a degree in English and I'm gonna hate the next 4 years of my life
>Homage to Catalonia

>this is good
h-how

>20
>I hate the English language in literature
>Early Christianity and Greek Paideia

>19
>used to quit vidya successfully, but fallen in love with pubg recently which has resulted in me reading way less
>infinite jest

>>i've been writing snuff/necrophilia erotic short stories recently
good one

The degree sucks but the career is great. Lots of power, autonomy, and intellectual challenges. The field of knowledge which is applicable is large enough that there is always more to learn. Most things can be created with very little requirements, e.g. just write some code, very empowering when you know how. It has excellent pay, generous benefits and work life balance.

I am a software engineer and I'm currently studying classical studies degree part time (did the first year full time) while working, plus I still read.

Your parents probably helps you make a great decision

>16
>still haven't figured out why tf realism exists
>The Iliad

>27
>Doing a master's degree in lit at a top-5 worldwide uni and i've never read any major poetry, including homer
>currently reading Stoner

>29
>I can't read Shakespeare
>The 48 Laws of Power

>19
>newfag who hasn't read a book in over a year but want to start
>Infinite Jest
Started reading today after searching Veeky Forums recommendations

>25
>I wish I never knew how to read Shakespeare. His poetry has some heavy feels. I'm still learning, we all.
>On the shitter/ in bed - Love Poetry Collection
>At work - Intro into mathematics
>For school - The Artificial River

how the fuck is this possible? don't you need a background to get admitted?

>31
>one of those wankers who thinks they'll be a writer at some point in their life but haven't written a thing of worth ever. Veeky Forums is probably full of people like me
>In Black and White (Junichiro Tanizaki, new 2018 translation)

usually. most of the other kids have a thorough background in lit. i think i got in cause i scored a ref letter from a famous professor who i'm pretty sure was gay for me. also i'm foreign so they get my sweet international student cash. about 40k in debt.

You went 40,000 into debt for english degrees.

Nigga.

Please tell me you at least have some sort of career ambitions and aren't going into debt for prolonged unemployment followed by a career outside your field...-

>19
>i have read Kafka and Camus and didn't understand a thing
>Notes from Underground - Dost

i'm applying for phds this fall at the places that'll get me jobs i.e. the best schools. my record is pretty spotless and profs seem to like my writing so i think my odds are good. if it all falls apart for whatever reason that would suck. but i aint frantic like most anons here about money and careerism. whatever happens i'll make the best of it.

I like sentimental, cliché-ridden poetry
Young Werther

>18
>on a normal day I read Nicomachean Ethics and Lolita

Why don't you read more? No time? Short attention span?

I've been planning to start with the Greeks for almost 2 years but have yet to read one (1) single book on the subject.
Latro in the Mist.

Uh, correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you need publications in your field and in the top 1-3% of your year to be considered for phds at those elite places? You sound pretty lax for someone aiming that high.

>publications

nah, a myth easily debunked by browsing any department grad student section. some of the tryhards have pubs, most have none. american phd is considered a training ground.

>top 1-3%

true enough, yeah. but at that stage it’s less about raw data and more about how good your writing is, how original your research is, how good your rec letters are, and, nowadays, how dark your skin is and how non-hetero you are

I read mango too
idk just finished Moby Dick and have studies so can't really start anything for at least 2 weeks

>23
>Reading literature has turned me into a romantic. It’s the cause for my unrealistic expectations I have for women and relationships. Why can’t I be a normie?
>Roghing It by Mark Twain

>19
>I haven't read the Greeks
>Journey to the End of the Night

I fuck the mom and sister from a friend.
The republic.

>22
>I've only ever read one book in my life, and I'm re-reading it right now
>My diary, desu

>19
>Too obsessed with Hemingway
>Reading Tropic of Cancer

whenever I read I get a strong impulse to masturbate for some reason, that doesn't let me concentrate.
Lately I'm becoming bored with the internet though so I've been reading a bit more, though other hobbies (movies, trumpet, french) often take precedence over reading.

>26
>Slow reader.
>Reading The Hobbit for the First time.

>22
>Finally getting heavy into literature
>That Hideous Strength

what an ironic post

>18
>I would say that I have a great taste in films and in music, but it is so hard to me to read a goddamn book
>lord of the flies(trying to start with something easy)